Quote Originally Posted by Maria B View Post
It's not the looks, it's not the passport, it's not the accent. It's not the degree. Even if u have Degrees or level 2 in Child care, they will still ask you to update your degrees in the university. It is the demand of what they are looking for. Due to unemployment crisis, there's a lot of applicant competition. If you are more on customer service mostly they will ask for NVQ2. But there are company who will train u once they employ you. It also depends on the area where u are now if there's employment going on in the area of your expertise.

If u are really interested to work, try other jobs that is not only for customer service. U may try a healthcare assistant to private nursing/residential homes. You may gain and nvq level for it. The demand is everywhere. They also check what visa you are holding.

Filipinos thinks that they are discriminated. Don't be. We are just too emotional. It's a combination of culture shock & how we interpret their actions. It's UK way & we are no longer in the Phils. Be positive. Take it as an experience & the work isn't for you. Don't stop. Carry on finding a job. Submit application form online as much as u could if u think the job is for u. Don't lose hope. Mind you in the Philippines if u reach 27 +, it's hard to find a job. Remember it's whom u know. If you don't have personality (u know what I mean), no relative in the company/ friend, no big names in your references u cannot get a job right away. In the UK even if your are above 30's, they don't put in their applicant specification 'with pleasing personality' u know what i mean, no matter what colour of your skin, accent, passport u are holding/visa etc. for as long as you understand and you know the job that you are applying for... there's a chance for you to be shortlisted and maybe hired one day. You can do it. Don't be discouraged. Don't think that way. Be confident and good luck to your job hunting.
I love the positive feedback but not discourage anyone. "The who you know culture" is not only a filipino trait. It also happens here in the UK. You should have stopped on giving advises.