Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post
I know Filipino english is far different from UK english. .there is an amazing variety of spelling , meaning,pronunciation, etc.

I know these differences can be both difficult to comprehend and confounding when trying to learn the language.

When i visited UK last year, i had a culture shock.(is there language shock?)I was shocked and amazed on how they say things and also the meaning.here are some:

1. Pantene- in the tv advert it was pronounced as pan ten
2. Backside- butt
3. Top up- as i understood it its like eload or prepaid
4. Take away- take out pala
5.Rubbish- trash or garbage
6.Trainers- sneakers or rubber shoes
7.Cupboard- any closet in the house
8. car boot sale- its like garage sale
9. Chemist- drugstore
10. Pharmacy- local doctor
11. Gum- glue
12.Holiday- vacation
13.Lift- elevator
14. Pram- like a big stroller
Thought I had commented on this already hmmm

8. tends to be in a field and originates from stock being taken in your cars boot trunk in American and can involve several hundred cars rather than a garage sale at one house

10. should read Surgery or Clinic or Health Center

14. Pram is an abbreviation of Perambulator which comes from Perambulate (walk) also

1. (n.) One who perambulates.
2. (n.) A surveyor's instrument for measuring distances. It consists of a wheel arranged to roll along over the ground, with an apparatus of clockwork, and a dial plate upon which the distance traveled is shown by an index. See Odometer.
3. (n.) A low carriage for a child, propelled by pushing.

Avail is a word favoured in the Phils used to mean take advantage of the only common usage here now is "of no avail"