Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tesco faces fines for foreign students working illegally

The UK’s largest retailer, Tesco, is facing a fine of up to £200,000 for illegally employing foreign workers, The Telegraph reports.

read more here .. http://www.workplacelaw.net/content/43252
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member
    Well of course we were muttering about it on here ages ago.

Perhaps the UKBA should consult us first for some pointers.

Tesco...Banks....Newspapers...almost all the big businesses seem to conduct themselves more like dodgy car dealers now, getting away with what they can.

The fines they face are a pittance and there appears to be no risk to management and Directors on a personal level.

big deal,,,, like as if £200,000 is going to hurt

Isnt it funny how all these companies are " said to be 'cooperating fully" once they get caught!!!!!!
    Its not as though they really have a choice is it

Trusted Member
    We all shop at them, but these giants have torn the hearts out of our towns and villages, bankrupted thousands of small businesses...the butchers and bakers, the fishmongers, the hardware and toy shops, the pet shops, the electrical shops, the local joiners etc etc....in fact the SKILLS and TRADES...the COMMUNITY.

What now ?

Warehouses next to motorways and 1,000s of 'white van men'.

Yes, you're saving a few quid a week on your shopping, in exchange for what ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    We all shop at them, but these giants have torn the hearts out of our towns and villages, bankrupted thousands of small businesses...the butchers and bakers, the fishmongers, the hardware and toy shops, the pet shops, the electrical shops, the local joiners etc etc....in fact the SKILLS and TRADES...the COMMUNITY.

What now ?

We benefit on the one hand but lose on the other. A sort of trade off.

I work for tesco.

I'm not sure Tesco-bashing is the answer to the immgration problem.

The Government allows 7,000,000 (yes 7 million, 10% of our population) foreigners to live in Britain, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Tesco mistakenly / wrongly allowed 20 people, who were living here legally and working up to 20 hours a week legally, to work extra hours.
    20 out of 7,000,000 is 0.0003% of the problem

Is someone trying to distract our attention?

Trusted Member
    Tip of the iceburg...to coin a phrase....and not picking on Tesco in particular.

I've been dealing with Tescos, Asda and Morrisons since 1972 (when Asda had 5 stores, including the original in Pudsey, and I used to call on THE Mr. Morrison at his first store at John St in Bradford) and I know their business philosophy pretty well.
    Asda of course was started by Associated Dairies (a Hull-based company I seem to recall)...milk processing and door-step delivery...remember that ?
    The first Asdas would have made Lidls look like posh Waitroses.

Yes I am cynical, based on knowledge and experience of sales and marketing in the grocery sector as well as others in the big bad world of commerce.

These businesses are rampant and rapacious in their urge to expand or maintain their 'market share'.
    Wherever profit can be made it will be, and if that means bending or breaking rules, then that will be done too...behind the veneer of 'compliance'.

Respected Member

What now ?

Totally agree. I make a point of using the small shops on my high street. The big supermarkets have ruined our town centres and they use bully tactics with their huge buying power over suppliers.

I stopped using Tesco A) Because I thought they were trying to take over the world and B) I'll be if Dame Shirley Porter is going to make any money out of me.

By the way they are all at it. Marks and Spencers employ a load of foreign students on temporary contracts and I'm sure they work over the hours.
    If they made the fines larger for the bigger companies they might put their house in order.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    We benefit on the one hand but lose on the other. A sort of trade off.
    I have said before, in many ways I am grateful for Tesco as it provides me with convenience and cheaper produce and a good range of groceries here. If it wasn't for them I would be paying quite a lot more for my groceries each week, not just a few pence. BUT on the other hand, yes many smaller shops have closed down which is a shame and a loss.

It seems that one cant have it both ways. The times they are a changing...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deeen View Post
    I work for tesco.

The Government allows 7,000,000 (yes 7 million, 10% of our population) foreigners to live in Britain, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Tesco mistakenly / wrongly allowed 20 people, who were living here legally and working up to 20 hours a week legally, to work extra hours.

Theres quite a few past threads on Tescos e.g. below (like I said in post 14, there appears to be a strong anti Tesco lobby...but there is a strong anti Apple lobby and a strong anti Romanian lobby and even a strong anti Marks and Spencer lobby plus a strong anti Man U lobby )

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ighlight=tesco

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brinormeg View Post
    Isnt it funny how all these companies are " said to be 'cooperating fully" once they get caught!!!!!!
    Its not as though they really have a choice is it[/
    JustLike our mp's and pm when getting caught with there greedy noses in the trough...they are all bent as a__holes....as always a law for them and a law for us.

Banned
    Theres quite a few past threads on Tescos e.g. below (like I said in post 14, there appears to be a strong anti Tesco lobby...but there is a strong anti Apple lobby and a strong anti Romanian lobby and even a strong anti Marks and Spencer lobby plus a strong anti Man U lobby )

Lobbyists r Us

Hoping against hope that Tesco get hit with the max £10k per illegal fine but no rogue employer ever does

Trusted Member

Just to make it clear:

I at any rate am not singling out Tesco for criticism (they're all as bad), nor am I part of any campaign on here against them...just that they were the subject of this thread.
    I shop there every week, as they are the nearest to me...no other reason.

Banned
    Just to make it clear:

I at any rate am not singling out Tesco for criticism (they're all as bad), nor am I part of any campaign on here against them...just that they were the subject of this thread.
    I shop there every week, as they are the nearest to me...no other reason.
    I agree. Given the choice I would go to Asda. But there isn't one here. Nearest is a 4 hour ferry ride away.

Like I said in one of the many previous Tesco related threads, my ex wife always found Asda to be cheaper overall and even now, when I am over on the ferry, I load up with Asda petrol and Asda groceries before my ferry back to the island as they still seem to be cheaper and no difference in quality as far as I can see.

Back on the island I use Tesco mainly.

And, like I have said before, Tesco here are a big employer of Pinoys/Pinays here and am pretty sure it is all legal.

Quote Originally Posted by deeen View Post
    I work for tesco.

thats 20 up to now i'm sure as we speak the personnel managers will be checking everyone's passports
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

And the government want to bring more foreign students in?.

Banned

Thanks for the link lastlid...just didn't realize there was such anti tesco's feelings on here...considering most of the population shop there its all rather ironic

Joe, you will find they (the supermarket giants) are/were all at it....I remember when I first came off continental driving in the mid 90's to work for a local company called Iceland....it wasn't uncommon to see police vans turning up and raiding the site filling up vans with illegals..like Graham said ''its the tip of the iceberg''.

I read some of those posts on the link lastlid posted and was quite surprised....talk about the mob sticking the boot in

No store is the same....the budget allocated to each store depends on floor space and turnover.

Obviously the higher the turnover the bigger the budget given to that store.

I can tell you I've never experienced the same poor services that some of you have expressed on that thread back in January...my local extra store have been tip top...

I suggest in future if you have a problem with your shopping experience is to contact them through there website failing that there is a phone number...all shown at the bottom of your receipt.

Yes, tesco profits took a hit this year but tesco still remain number one supermarket in the uk.

Graham Spooner, investment advisor at the share centre said investing in tesco now long term represents extremely good value.

International sales over the year have increased 14%....Asia lept 24%, Europe 5.6 % and the American market by an enormous 36.9%.

Banned
    In defence of Tesco I got £23.50 off my diesel the other week in exchange for buying £40 worth of Nescafe - took the coffee back for a full refund yesterday

Trusted Member
    That's wicked of you Dedworth !

I put a lot of money their way too...never shop anywhere else.

That means I sometimes spend as much as 35 quid a week on groceries for me and my lad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    In defence of Tesco I got £23.50 off my diesel the other week in exchange for buying £40 worth of Nescafe - took the coffee back for a full refund yesterday
    Good for you Ded ...where's there's a loophole, you gotta through it ...I remember doing something (unintentionally) buying numerous breast pumps...(I didn't read instructions how to operate )...in the end they gave me a free pump worth 80 odd quid.....unfortunately wife's milk dried up by the time I'd worked it out...I wasn't popular for a few days after

I like your style of food shopping Graham ...I dont think for one moment my dear wife would be impressed

Banned

Banned
    I try to avoid Tesco as much as possible but if I'm not mistaken The Big Price Drop seems to have been quietly dropped - maybe they got disheartened with all the negative publicity it was generating

Banned
    Understanding the TESCO Difference

Tesco branch out into the offshore Oil Industry.......

http://www.tescocorp.com/bins/top_dr...ge.asp?cid=2-9

Banned

I bet you get a load of Clubcard points buying one of those

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I bet you get a load of Clubcard points buying one of those
    Buy one get one free...

Banned

Next year 2013 Tesco enter the banking fray...apparently they are gonna sort these monopolies out

Every little helps

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Next year 2013 Tesco enter the banking fray...apparently they are gonna sort these monopolies out

Every little helps
    Yeah. Seems they have their snouts in a lot of businesses

HQ in Houston Texas....

Corporate Headquarters Tesco Corporation
    3993 W. Sam Houston Pkwy. N., Suite 100
    Houston, Texas 77043
    USA

Banned
    The business that no large corporations have got their snouts into is privately run pre schools/nurseries/childcare although that might be about to change - one owned by a spiv like woman round here renting space off a council run primary school called Biffo Bear or suchlike £80/day touch now has a large The Co-operative Childcare sign outside it.

Money for old rope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information