Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

That time of year again

Not sure when we are going, but off to Philippines this year. First off my wife needs to travel to London and the Philippine embassy to get her passport renewed.

Then its down to cheapest time. Obviously early part of the year flights are 500-600 pound per person with all the bank holidays. So we are looking at June as School summer holidays in July, then my eldest starts proper school after that. Cheapest I have seen is £383 with emirates from Birmingham to Manila.

Myrna & I are off to the Philippines for 5 weeks later this month - the first time we've been back in 10 years - leaving from Manchester Airport on January 21, and returning at the end of February.

Cheapest flights we could find, though, cost us £975 return each ... travelling via the German city of Dusseldorf to Singapore and onwards to Davao.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Myrna & I are off to the Philippines for 5 weeks later this month - the first time we've been back in 10 years - leaving from Manchester Airport on January 21, and returning at the end of February.

Cheapest flights we could find, though, cost us £975 return each ... travelling via the German city of Dusseldorf to Singapore and onwards to Davao.
    Blimey! I'd never pay that much.

Hope you have a great time.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar

What airlines are you travelling with Arthur??? That's a lot!!!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Blimey! I'd never pay that much.
    NOR would I ... normally! Myrna, however, turns 60 tomorrow ... which should entitle her to a *pro rata pension proportionate to a 22 years' teaching career in the Philippines, *claimable as soon as possible after her sixtieth birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Hope you have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

What airlines are you travelling with Arthur??? That's a lot!!!
    Thought we'd stick to Singapore Airlines, Rayna, having been suitably impressed with their standards of service on each of my two previous trips ... so while the fare paid might seem excessive, it's put into perspective by the fact that it cost me £730 apiece 10 years' ago.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Thought we'd stick to Singapore Airlines, Rayna, having been suitably impressed with their standards of service on each of my two previous trips ... so while the fare paid might seem excessive, it's put into perspective by the fact that it cost me £730 apiece 10 years' ago.
    We are going to Manila on 21 Feb via Singapore Airlines as well. But we are stopping in Singapore for 5 days then going to Manila and staying until 11 March. My youngest brother is getting married on the 9th of March. Although we only paid around £500+ I think for a ticket. When did you book your flights? Anyway, you are going to Davao instead of Manila, probably the reason it's more expensive.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I always used Singapore Air. Heathrow, Singapore, Davao, never more than 5 to 600.

Had another look on the dates we want, if we go from Heathrow, Singapore airlines is £387 at the moment per person.Screenshot_20190103-085352.jpg

My family are going to Phils as well March 'till April, Me my Husband and our 3 year old daughter.. Newcastle to Dubai and Dubai to Manila (return) £1,960, Emirates Airline. I've been looking for less than that amount for weeks but for us I think that's not bad for us 3. No experience with other airline apart from Emirates and KLM.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar

Have a great break Arthur, that goes for everyone else that has booked a flight, enjoy

Trusted Member
    Happy holidays everyone !

It's hot and dry here... as per usual.

Today I am mostly making kitchen cupboards.

We are going to Manila on 21 Feb via Singapore Airlines as well. But we are stopping in Singapore for 5 days then going to Manila and staying until 11 March. My youngest brother is getting married on the 9th of March. Although we only paid around £500+ I think for a ticket.
    Maybe the fact you're going a month later than we are ... and/or you're having a stopover in Singapore helps, perhaps? But I wouldn't have expected either of those reasons to reduce the fare by almost half the price.

When did you book your flights?
    End of October ... deliberately steering clear of the high immediate post-festive rates. Mindful too, of the horrible "fate" that befell a couple of our former regulars who, back in 2013 [link below] lost their holiday money by booking online , ours was activated through a reputable travel agency by a niece of Myrna's.

https://filipinaroses.com/showthread...been-scammed!?

Anyway, you are going to Davao instead of Manila, probably the reason it's more expensive.
    Mmm ... shouldn't imagine it being that much more expensive. ... probably it's due to the agency taking its whack!

Myrna, however, turns 60 tomorrow ...
    ................................. s nearly two weeks ago. At which time, she became eligible for free bus travel throughout Scotland, courtesy of the National Entitlement Card for people aged 60 and above. But we've since discovered ALL UK applications for this concession are dealt with in Hull for some peculiar reason, so we're still waiting ... !

Probably anyone who's read this lengthy dissertation of mine is puzzled as to what bus fares have to do with train and plane journeys. But having spent a colossal amount of money on each of those I'd felt justified in raising "merry hell" with the local council over the added expense involved in forking out unnecessarily on 'Megarider' Bus tickets for Myrna in the period leading up to our holiday, when she ought to've had her free pass in advance of her birthday. Surprisingly, the Customer Services Manager accepted the Council's liability for the delay and my wife was given a couple of complimentary travel warrants by way of a goodwill gesture once he realised what I'd been getting at.

Trusted Member
    Oh, well that's SOMETHING then Arthur.

No idea when I'll next be needing my UK OAP bus pass.

It's certainly saved me a fortune over the past few years though, as well got me out of the house, for which I'm very grateful.

... delighted to announce its arrival today!

Trusted Member
    Congratulations !

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Congratulations !

... chance would be a fine thing.

Au revoir, folks ... I'll be back around early March.

Mean
    while, ca' canny ... and, if ye cannae be good, be careful!

... chance would be a fine thing.

Au revoir, folks ... I'll be back around early March.

Mean
    while, ca' canny ... and, if ye cannae be good, be careful!
    Enjoy Arthur

Trusted Member
    Have a good one Arthur... and safe journey.

Well just checked Philippines airlines and they have a sale on. So booked there and then as the price was excellent compared to what it normally is.

For my wife myself and two kids, £1750. Compared to emirates at £1650

We prefer the non stop flight when travelling as a family. If on my own I'd have gone the cheapest

Trusted Member
    Well done mate. That does seem good... for non-stop !

Remember to check they've filled the tanks.

I find the best time to book any flights for the coming year is in January. I try and use Cathay Pacific or Emirates as they fly to Cebu, which it where i want to be. £500 - £600 is cheap any other time of the year but in January i can get a flight for the low end of £400 so i book all my flights for the year in January. I always fly from Manchester as well and only ever change planes at Hong Kong ( Cathay Pacific) or Dubai (Emirate)

Gone even cheaper now £1650 if I had held out a week could have got £100 cheaper than I paid.

Just booked with Singapore Airlines for November £1529 for the three of us, not too bad really!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Enjoy Arthur
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Have a good one Arthur... and safe journey.
    Yes guys, we'd a very nice, relaxing break, thanks. Myrna's teaching pension paperwork took up a fair bit of time ... tho' we were fortunate in being chauffeured to and fro between the resort [which was our base throughout] and Region 11's various Education Offices by obliging relatives as and when the need arose.

However, we BOTH felt five weeks is a shade long to be away from home and decided future visits, should, instead, be three weeks in duration, every couple of years or thereabouts.

Just booked with Singapore Airlines for November £1529 for the three of us, not too bad really!
    Forgot to mention, Singapore Airlines gave me a fixture on the price for all future flights, the phone No I use for booking is 02072358315.

Trusted Member
    Good to hear all went well, and that you and Myrna are safely back Arthur.

Forgot to mention, Singapore Airlines gave me a fixture on the price for all future flights, the phone No I use for booking is 02072358315.
    Thanks for this very useful information, Michael ... it's well~worth looking into for future occasions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information