Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Emergence of a Choice Man!

I have been writing my first book for some time now. I feel very inclined to disclose some pages from an earlier draft and share with you.

The book starts with my meeting Pia and then goes back to how I came to be the person I am. It then shows the development of our love and will conclude with her arrival in the UK. The second book will follow on from that.

The following is the book intro and extracts from the section that talks about my origin.

I hope you find them interesting.

Author’s Introduction

I never intended to write a book.

For many years close friends and acquaintances would comment, ‘you should write a book’. I grew to understand that it was quite common for the words of this particular cliché to be uttered whenever an individual came across another person with a single experience or experiences that they determined beyond the normal course of their own experience and anticipated future.

For a long time I did not believe I had done anything extraordinary or on any level, anything worthy of a book. Later, as I matured and contemplated my purpose in this world, I concluded that the potential value of any literary contribution I might make, would evolve from the fact that my life is far from extraordinary.

I have a story to share that embraces much that the ordinary person goes through but rarely reads about and generally not with the level of self-effacing honesty as follows. At the very least I hope my book will entertain and encourage you as you gain insight into my life and celebrate my joyous highs and warm your hands on the heat of my numerous lows, as I traverse childhood, a singing career, business enterprises and personal relationships, and on to the man I have become and the love I've found in Pia.

This book is an autobiographical novel based on my life. This literary technique is distinguished from an autobiography or memoir by the stipulation of being fiction. Some names and locations have been changed and some events altered subtly but the story still bears a close resemblance to that of the author.
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Here is an initial quote from the meat of the book:

Sometimes when you look back on a situation, you realize it wasn't all
    you thought it was. A beautiful girl walked into your life. You fell in love.
    Or did you? Maybe it was only a childish infatuation,
    or maybe just a brief moment of vanity.

Henry Bromel, Northern Exposure, The Big Kiss, 1991

Banned
    From what I was reading yesterday, and cannot find it now, it seems that we have a budding Harold Robbins on board.........

Keep on the good work

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    From what I was reading yesterday, and cannot find it now, it seems that we have a budding Harold Robbins on board.........

Keep on the good work

Thank you Dom. Noone made any comment yesterday so I thought everyone considered it bad rubbish so removed most of it! Dampened my confidence! But I am really glad that you noticed it, read it and commented on it! Cheers mate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Piamed View Post
    Thank you Dom. Noone made any comment yesterday so I thought everyone considered it bad rubbish so removed most of it! Dampened my confidence! But I am really glad that you noticed it, read it and commented on it! Cheers mate.
    No problem, mate...

I used to read a lot, and I mean a LOT....
    Now some of the escapology books I have left, are in the attic somewhere.
    The others have found their way to car boot sales, charity shops, etc. as the space here is at a premium and the dust was gathering at an alarming pace.
    And yes,now, rather than read, I like to cuddle up with the Mrs on the settee....

No problem, mate...

I used to read a lot, and I mean a LOT....
    Now some of the escapology books I have left, are in the attic somewhere.
    The others have found their way to car boot sales, charity shops, etc. as the space here is at a premium and the dust was gathering at an alarming pace.
    And yes,now, rather than read, I like to cuddle up with the Mrs on the settee....
    When I travel, I read alot too; all sorts from business and medical books, to dog encyclopedias and thrillers by Ken Follett (my favourite author).

I remember reading a book called Serial Killers on a plane. Every now and then the odd passenger would turn around an stare at me. I felt so embarrassed. I hope I will soon have Pia here to cuddle with each night!

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

When I travel, I read alot too; all sorts from business and medical books, to dog encyclopedias and thrillers by Ken Follett (my favourite author).

I remember reading a book called Serial Killers on a plane. Every now and then the odd passenger would turn around an stare at me. I felt so embarrassed. I hope I will soon have Pia here to cuddle with each night!
    How funny you should mention Ken Follett mate. I just finished (yesterday) 'A Place Called Freedom' (Good old fish boy! Saved the day.)

BTW - My favourite author is Steinbeck.

Al.

Hi Al. 'A place called freedom' is a great book. Follett's attention to historical detail is superb. I have not read any by Steinbeck but will try to pick one up. Any particular recommendations?

Actually, do you that i thought the two of you and Joe would be the first to reply to this particular thread Paging Joe, come in Joe!

Banned
    Hi Al. 'A place called freedom' is a great book. Follett's attention to historical detail is superb. I have not read any by Steinbeck but will try to pick one up. Any particular recommendations?

Actually, do you that i thought the two of you and Joe would be the first to reply to this particular thread Paging Joe, come in Joe!
    "the grapes of wrath" was made into an unforgettable movie starring the late henry Fonda...

"Cannery row", "Of mice and Men", "East of Eden" is another good one...

That is stuff that I was reading during my younger years, when there wasn't much choice.... Due to the fact that our teacher wanted in depht essays on them....
    By choice now, I would rather read Wilbur Smith or Tom Clancy...
    Pure and unadulterated escapology....

I will be waiting for the release date.

Can I have one with your dedicated signature?
    I can't wait to read it and put it together with my book collection. Hubby and I just finished to put up our book shelves, it is now arranged in our lounge where we can see our books in front of our eyes.

I love reading, I love books and like you I also have this dream to write a book one day.

It will be about some remote memories of my childhood life, 'the road I took that made all the difference'....

Goodluck to you Piamed!

'We dance in a circle and suppose, while the secret sits in the middle and knows'

R.F.

"the grapes of wrath" was made into an unforgettable movie starring the late henry Fonda...

That is stuff that I was reading during my younger years, when there wasn't much choice.... Due to the fact that our teacher wanted in depht essays on them....
    Ah ok. I got it now. Yes, I also have Smith and Clancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutz View Post
    I will be waiting for the release date.

Can I have one with your dedicated signature?
    I can't wait to read it and put it together with my book collection. Hubby and I just finished to put up our book shelves, it is now arranged in our lounge where we can see our books in front of our eyes.

I love reading, I love books and like you I also have this dream to write a book one day.

It will be about some remote memories of my childhood life, 'the road I took that made all the difference'....

Goodluck to you Piamed!
    Thanks amiga. You will most definitely get a signed copy. I will try to finish it this year. 2 of my nephews and my brother have already published theirs. I really love writing. I have written a few business papers but getting them published is such hard work, constant amendments are requitred in line with new thinking. I think the book will be much easier. There is a least one book in all of us. I'd like to read yours.

My books are alls stored in my office and one of the spare bedrooms. They are at the moment. I will wait to see where my Queen will move everything. So long as she does not buy a red bookcase. My wife loves red.

Smile

I have only read 'Of mice and men' of J Steinbeck. I would like to advice Harper Lee 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Brilliantly written.

'We dance in a circle and suppose, while the secret sits in the middle and knows'

R.F.

I too love reading books, but I can't find peace at home at the moment for reading

My kids are taking over everywhere

We all used to fit in the kitchen especially in the morning. Now all I can see are arms and legs everywhere not just in the kitchen but in every corner of the house!

Still...I wouldn't be without them

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tish View Post
    I too love reading books, but I can't find peace at home at the moment for reading

My kids are taking over everywhere

We all used to fit in the kitchen especially in the morning. Now all I can see are arms and legs everywhere not just in the kitchen but in every corner of the house!

Still...I wouldn't be without them
    Lots of power cuts in Lancashire then...???

Lots of power cuts in Lancashire then...???

Not exactly Dom, more like lots of power hormones

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutz View Post
    I have only read 'Of mice and men' of J Steinbeck. I would like to advice Harper Lee 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Brilliantly written.
    My favourite book of all time. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tish View Post
    Not exactly Dom, more like lots of power hormones

'Of Mice and Men' always reminds me of when I was at college doing my A levels, and for some reason it ties with the 'Green Mile' starring Tom Hanks!! Don't know why though

Could be that both have a Big Guy in it?

Smile

I agree with Dom - stunning novels. I would also add 'The Pearl' and 'Travels with Charlie' by Steinbeck as unmissable.

Also, Toks, if you are into historical novels - may I suggest 'Germinal' by Emile Zola - a riveting read (Did it for my French degree.)

Al.

P.S. - As far as commenting on your autob. is concerned - I was away most of yesterday and then when I came back and read it, I thought I would leave my comment for a while - then got distracted - then fell asleep - you know the score.

If I said I liked what I read - would you now really believe me?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Also, Toks, if you are into historical novels - may I suggest 'Germinal' by Emile Zola - a riveting read (Did it for my French degree.)

Al.
    ?

Didn't he play for Chelsea....????

Smile

Didn't he play for Chelsea....????
    I know that Calvin Zola played for Oldham. Rather, he didn't play!!!

Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Al.

P.S. - As far as commenting on your autob. is concerned - I was away most of yesterday and then when I came back and read it, I thought I would leave my comment for a while - then got distracted - then fell asleep - you know the score.

If I said I liked what I read - would you now really believe me?
    Thanks Al, I will look for Germinal. I would certainly believe you and thanks for that! Very kind of you.

How disappointing Piamed it had not occurred to me to comment so soon in fact I would only comment normally once I had read a book from cover to cover.

Please dont stop posting on my account

I am a great fan of Ian Banks myself and Practical Rabbit

I did not get the chance to read the extract that is now removed. You say because you did not get comments that that has dented your confidence but I think is unreasonable to expect everyone to visit here everyday then read it immediately and digest it nnd then post some constructive criticism. Frankly if you think no responses from this messageboard in a few hours affect your confidence then you had better prepare for the inevitable rejection letters from publishing houses. In fact, if you have synopsis and sample chapter you should be talking to publishers now.

I suspect the real problem you will have is that a very small number of people will be interested in the story or will have heard of you. Consequently I cannot see the predicted sales getting beyond the small hunderds or even less than 100. Unfortunately although "everyone has a book in them" only the autobiographies of well known people are anywhere near profitable. Even then there are some well known cases were the sales have only reached 5% or 6% of the advance given toe author by the publisher.

To summarise: if you think you are going interest the country or the world in your story I would get what you have in front of published NOW. It is better to find out sooner than later if you are wasting your time. However, if it is to give away your family and friends then carry on.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    How disappointing Piamed it had not occurred to me to comment so soon in fact I would only comment normally once I had read a book from cover to cover.

Please dont stop posting on my account

I am a great fan of Ian Banks myself and Practical Rabbit
    It's ok Keith I really appreciate you commenting now. Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    I did not get the chance to read the extract that is now removed. You say because you did not get comments that that has dented your confidence but I think is unreasonable to expect everyone to visit here everyday then read it immediately and digest it nnd then post some constructive criticism. Frankly if you think no responses from this messageboard in a few hours affect your confidence then you had better prepare for the inevitable rejection letters from publishing houses. In fact, if you have synopsis and sample chapter you should be talking to publishers now.!
    Hi Banana. My comment was made rather tongue in cheek.

Having said that when it got to about 30 reads without comment I just asumed that perhaps it was not interesting the readers on here, which is fair enough, so just removed the bulk of it.

In truth, I have already had interest from some niche publishers and indeed had I not had any interest at all I would just self-publish. I did that 2 couple of times in my teens when I recorded songs. Eventually, I set up a record company, hired Aswad to play the backing tracks and then released them myself. I only sold about 5,000 copies but it was fun to do.

When I was 24, I launched a Sales Magazine called Repartee. I originally approached Haymarket and Centaur but when the terms proved unacceptable to me ( I was foolish and greedy) I launched it myself. Printed 10,000 copies a month for 6 months until I ran out of money.

I suspect the real problem you will have is that a very small number of people will be interested in the story or will have heard of you.
    Absolutely correct. To be either interested or disinterested though, someone will have to know what the book is about. The segments I will introduce the book through should be at least curious, as they will already be familiar with part of the story.

Consequently I cannot see the predicted sales getting beyond the small hunderds or even less than 100.
    I think a bit higher than that. I have a particular mix of promotional platforms that will help ensure that but there are no guarantees.

Please note that this is not about money. It's about putting something out there that will touch some people and hopefully entertainment them. If i do that with a handful of people I would be really happy.

Unfortunately although "everyone has a book in them" only the autobiographies of well known people are anywhere near profitable. Even then there are some well known cases were the sales have only reached 5% or 6% of the advance given toe author by the publisher.
    I cannot argue with your stats. Have you seen a book called Ugly? It is an autobigraphy written by a solictor friend of mine. We grew up within the same environmental contexts. Her book is doing exceptionally well - a million copies plus. She was not well known at all before publishing and was rejected by so many publishing houses and almost gave up.

To summarise: if you think you are going interest the country or the world in your story I would get what you have in front of published NOW. It is better to find out sooner than later if you are wasting your time. However, if it is to give away your family and friends then carry on.

Good luck!
    That is a methodology many authors use. They often get discouraged and many good works do not reach the market. Similarly, many authors go to writing classes and get taught a particular writing style.

I have not heard any successful author say that they were accepted by every publisher they approached. Invariably, they tried many before getting accepted. Additionally, I have yet to come across a successful author who says that attending writing classes made him what he is today.

I have always felt that talent is only a small requirement for being successful. Notwithstanding key determinants such as grace and luck, drive and focus are of considerable importance.

At the end of the day its about personal enjoyment.

Thanks for time you took to air your comments Banana; I do appreciate it. Cheers!

Piamed, I have been away for a few days. It is reassuring and relieving to know that you have your eyes open and are not some dreamer which was my concern. You obviously know what you are letting yourself in for.

All we need now is the sound files of the songs. 5000 sales aint too shabby (it depends on how many songs that is. I hope it wasn't more than 1000 ). If you managed to move that amount on your own back then perhaps I am doing you a little disservice with the sales figures.

I might even write a review of my complimentary copy.

Seriously, I would like to read what you have so far and promise to comment.

Cheers mate! What a smoothie you are; you must be in sales!

I will post an extract from one of my academic papers for your perusal as I have deleted the earlier version of my novel that i posted here. Although, written in a different style it could be of interest to those that don't know much about that subject area..

I await your comments!

Piamed i don't appear to be able to send you a PM. Are you able to send me one with your email address?

Hi there. It seems as though I cant send PMs to you until you have posted 50 times, I think it is. 2 more to go.

Here is a extract from a paper of mine:

The Resource-Based View (RBV) of the firm:
    A framework for determining competitive heterogeneity

The Resource-Based View of the firm is an emerging strategic management theory of firm heterogeneity that explains the differences in firm prosperity that cannot be attributed to differences in industry conditions alone; it also exposes the resource conditions that underlie competitive advantage. The Resource-Based View of the firm argues that a firm’s sustainable competitive advantage depends on its ability to manage the institutional context of its resource decisions.

Because of the imperfections in the resource-market and the subjective managerial decisions about how these resources are acquired, developed and deployed, firms can be expected to differ in the degree to which economic rents are both realised and sustained.

Resource-Based View theory postulates that a firm achieves sustainable competitive advantage and thus enhanced economic rents only when it is able to obtain preferential access to and exploit the potential of, strategic competitive advantage-generating resources, i.e. those that are valuable, rare, inimitable and non-substitutable

This paper provides an integrated review of the Resource-Based View framework in an effort to provide a critical evaluation of the way that it has influenced the development of research and practice across key fields of management. The paper then goes on to suggest areas of research related to how a firm can achieve sustainable competitive advantage through the development expertise derived from the implementation of related and complementary Resource-Based acquisition strategies.

Keywords: Resource-Based View, Competitive Advantage

INTRODUCTION
    This paper begins with the early classical economists’ assumption that man is a highly rational economic being; further that the desired outcome of the firm’s managerial effort is above average economic rents or profits. A firm’s profitability can be disaggregated into two key elements: the industry average and the firm-specific divergence from that average attributable to the competitive advantage enjoyed by that firm as a result of its particular strategy.

The concept of competitive advantage as used in the business context is clearly derived from the economic and militaristic origins of the strategy literature (Whittington, 1993). The term strategy is derived from the ancient Greek words strategos – a general, stratos – an army & agein – to lead, and has only been used in the business environment since the Twentieth Century (Ghemawat, 2002).

How firms achieve and sustain competitive advantage has become the fundamental strategic management question (Rumelt, et al 1994). Porter (1980) developed a Competitive Forces approach to achieving competitive advantage that emphasised the actions a firm could take to create defensible positions against competitive forces and was deeply rooted in the Structure-Conduct-Performance (SCP) paradigm of Industrial Organisation (IO). In 1989 Shapiro developed the Strategic Conflict Approach to achieving competitive advantage that emphasised product market imperfections, entry deterrence and strategic interaction. A high degree of similarity exists between these two approaches, namely in their mutual perspective that rents flow from privileged product market positions.

The Resource-Based View framework belongs to an alternative class of approach that is rooted in the much older strengths and weaknesses debate; along with the Dynamic Capabilities framework, it focuses on the achievement of competitive advantage through gaining firm-level efficiency advantages. The Resource-Based View emphasises firm-specific assets, competences, organisational processes, capabilities and assets as the key determinants of economic profit, rather than product market positioning (Teece, et al, 1997). It views the resource endowment of a firm as the principle source of strategic options rather than the dynamics of the environment.

The Dynamic Capabilities approach emphasises internal and external firm-specific competences as the route of choice to the attainment of competitive advantage.

Since the 1960s the Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunities-Threats (SWOT) analysis framework has occupied a pre-eminent position in research into a firms competitive advantage position. The framework was based upon the notion that firms derived sustained competitive advantage by adopting strategies that exploited their internal strengths and acknowledged external opportunities while eliminating external threats and minimising weaknesses. Much of the research designed to uncover sources of competitive advantage has focussed on responding to a firm’s opportunities and threats whilst describing its strengths and weaknesses or reviewing them against selected strategies. Porter’s (1980) ‘Five-Forces Model’, focuses upon the identification of industries in which opportunities will be greater and threats less. The model assumes that firms have the same resources or at least that they have equal access to key resources. Additionally, the model assumes that should resource heterogeneity exist in an industry, this heterogeneity will be short-lived due to the high mobility of these resources.

The Resource-Based View framework has been selected as the focus of this paper in view of the fact that a firm’s resources and capabilities are increasingly being recognised as the core determinants in the formulation of its strategy (Grant, 1991). The Resource-Based View of the firm has emerged in recent years as a popular theory of competitive advantage (Mahoney, et al., 1992) as it can be argued that a firm’s competitive advantage is derived from its ability to manage the corporate context of its firm-specific capability and asset decisions (Oliver, 1997). Firms are progressively more prone to identifying their core resources & deciding in which market those resources can be enhanced and leveraged to gain the highest rents, as a start to the strategy development process, than asking questions about the corporate mission (Foss, 1997; Teece, 1980, 1982). This is a reflection of the emerging managerial and academic recognition that the employment of the Resource-Based View is a robust model for evaluating the relationship between a firm’s resources and its ability to achieve and sustain competitive advantage.

Wernerfelt is credited with coining the term ‘resourced-based view’, in his seminal paper ‘A Resource-Based View of the Firm’ (Wernerfelt, 1984). Rumelt’s paper ‘Towards a Strategic Theory of the Firm’ (Rumelt, 1984) has also proven to be a highly influential work. Many authors, including Barney, Collis & Montgomery and Prahalad & Hamel, have rapidly developed good work based upon the notions postulated within these two papers. Consequently, over the last decade and a half, the Resource-Based View of the firm has become perhaps the most influential framework for understanding strategic management (Barney, 2001; Foss, 1997). The purpose of this paper is to review this rapidly increasing multiplicity of literature with the aim of providing an integrated review of the history, impact and areas for potential application of the Resource-Based framework.

DEVELOPMENT OF THE RESOURCE-BASED VIEW FRAMEWORK
    Much of neo-classical economics was based upon the work of Ricardo, which focused on the economic significance of owning land (Barney, 2002). Because the total supply of fertile land is relatively fixed (assuming it cannot be created) it is described as being inelastic in supply. Therefore, a firm possessing a greater amount of fertile land and achieving lower production costs can be expected to earn above normal economic rents or profits, because of its occupation of a sustainable competitive advantage position. At least two events (Barney, 2002) could alter this situation, changes in market demand and competitors finding alternative ways of positively influencing the fertility of their own land.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information