Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Having children in uK

I am little confused about this issue.

If my wife & I have a child say in a years time, does this mean she is automatically thrown out of the UK with the baby because my salary is 18,600 ( just over ).

I have heard many sad stories. It says I would need 22,400 approxamtely if my wife had a child already & had to bring the child over with her.

Thanks for your advise.

John
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

not if the child is British, the child is not subject to immigration control
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Like Joe says
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Can I confirm my friends that if our child is born here that as long as my salary remains 18,600 plus we are ok?
    Does the child have citizen status?

Many thanks

John
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Quote Originally Posted by songz777 View Post
    Can I confirm my friends that if our child is born here that as long as my salary remains 18,600 plus we are ok?
    Does the child have citizen status?

Many thanks

John
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Yes
    Ohh yes Thanks!!

Trusted Member
    British !

as long as one of you has at least ilr (in your case i take it your British) and the child is born in the UK then the child is a British citizen otherwise than by descent, if the child is born outside the UK then the child will be British by descent. so it might be important to you where your child is born

Every British citizen is either a British citizen otherwise than by descent or a British citizen by descent.

this difference is important because the type of citizenship people have decides the way in which they can Life in the UK testpass British citizenship on to their children who were born outside the United Kingdom.

A British citizen otherwise than by descent, can automatically pass on British citizenship to a child born outside the UK. You can be a British Citizen otherwise than by descent by:

Birth;
    Registration;
    Naturalisation;
    Adoption.

A British citizen by descent is a person born outside the UK and is acquired if one or both parents are British citizens. This means that you cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to any child who is born abroad. You are a British citizen by descent if:

You are born outside the UK to a parent who was a British citizen at the time;
    It does not matter whether the birth took place before or after 1 January 1983 as long as a child who was born before that date became a British citizen on that date;
    On 31 December 1982, he or she was a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies through:
    his or her own birth, or
    a parent's or a grandparent's birth,
    legal adoption
    naturalisation
    registration
    You lived in the UK while a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies for five years at any time before 1 January 1983, and was not subject to restrictions under the immigration laws at the end of that five year period.
    You are a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by connection with the Falkland Islands and Dependencies (i.e. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands).
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

basically what it means is, if your child is born outside the uk, and when they have kids they will only automatically be british if they are born in the UK unless they go thru a registration\citizenship process or one of the procedures above - eg playing the visa game

but if your child is born in the Uk, their children should be a British citizen by descent if they are born out side the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    basically what it means is, if your child is born outside the uk, and when they have kids they will only automatically be british if they are born in the UK unless they go thru a registration\citizenship process or one of the procedures above - eg playing the visa game

but if your child is born in the Uk, their children should be a British citizen by descent if they are born out side the UK.
    Thanks Joe.

Yes I 100% British & our child would be born here so thats great relief to me.. many thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    British !

Cool!!

Trusted Member
    Aged about 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Aged about 5 minutes.
    Those are the memories that shape our lives. Great pic Graham, thanks for sharing that.

Trusted Member
    Yes, they soon grow up !

Thread Information