Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

illogical policy

I like the benefits of Travecard whenever I go Central London which is quite often. Going in/out, wherever/whenever that is just so great.

To save a little, I purchase the off-peak ticket - considering the hassles of rush hour - I travel at a later time. With all that, I never had any problem. In my mind off-peak applies to the first point of destination and you can return to point of origin at anytime. Well, I found that out the other day, WRONG!

Since I am done with my business in London, I decided to go home. I could have stayed longer in Folyles but it's horribly cold and dark and am tired, I'd rather be home. At the station to my amazement I couldn't!!! The reason, the assistant told, I have to wait another 1 1/2 hours bec my ticket is off-peak.

doh! I have to wait standing at the station full of people around! It seems so absurd and ridiculous!

Respected Member
    Yep the cheaper the tickets, the more restrictions. We're currently living near Southampton and wanted to goto London, however searching all the train websites came with very high prices and no real deals or special offers on any day. The cheapest I was finding was about 40 pounds per person return, and we were willing to be flexible etc etc. Anyway I had just about given up when I decided to look at the option of catching a bus, so went to megabus.com and searched, and ended up on the megatrain website which I didnt know even existed and booked a return ticket for 4 pounds each. When I looked up the service, it is actually offered on a 'South West Trains' Train, so is the same train as being offered for 40 quid return on thetrainline.com ..... But the price doesn't appear on any of the search websites.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bless.books View Post
    I like the benefits of Travecard whenever I go Central London which is quite often. Going in/out, wherever/whenever that is just so great.

To save a little, I purchase the off-peak ticket - considering the hassles of rush hour - I travel at a later time. With all that, I never had any problem. In my mind off-peak applies to the first point of destination and you can return to point of origin at anytime. Well, I found that out the other day, WRONG!

Since I am done with my business in London, I decided to go home. I could have stayed longer in Folyles but it's horribly cold and dark and am tired, I'd rather be home. At the station to my amazement I couldn't!!! The reason, the assistant told, I have to wait another 1 1/2 hours bec my ticket is off-peak.

doh! I have to wait standing at the station full of people around! It seems so absurd and ridiculous!
    I think it is you being illogical... There are two 'peak' periods during a working day when people travel to work (in the morning and in the evening) and it is logical an off-peak ticket won't let you travel in these peak times.

Just makes sure you always understand the restrictions of any train ticket you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Yep the cheaper the tickets, the more restrictions. We're currently living near Southampton and wanted to goto London, however searching all the train websites came with very high prices and no real deals or special offers on any day. The cheapest I was finding was about 40 pounds per person return, and we were willing to be flexible etc etc. Anyway I had just about given up when I decided to look at the option of catching a bus, so went to megabus.com and searched, and ended up on the megatrain website which I didnt know even existed and booked a return ticket for 4 pounds each. When I looked up the service, it is actually offered on a 'South West Trains' Train, so is the same train as being offered for 40 quid return on thetrainline.com ..... But the price doesn't appear on any of the search websites.

i've been a few times with the misses to London, cheapest we got was about £25 return from Manchester off peak using virgin trains, cant complain at all about the service. my misses even went first class a few times, for £25 to london.

got to agree with Darren, you pay more you get more choice.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    I think it is you being illogical... There are two 'peak' periods during a working day when people travel to work (in the morning and in the evening) and it is logical an off-peak ticket won't let you travel in these peak times. Just makes sure you always understand the restrictions of any train ticket you buy.
    Hello dareen-b! I don't think you understand what I am trying to get at. or, maybe i didn't express my point properly.

First, to comment, you shouldn't attack personally. Or perhaps be nicer person to point out your view. (I don't see the point of attacking). If you have a different view, point it out not me under your fire. This is my experience and this is what I feel about the whole situation.

THERE ARE POLICIES in any means of TRANSPORTATION. FINE. People who work on peak time have no choice but to get the peak time ticket which is more. Those who work off-peak will get the off-peak ticket which is cheaper and better deal.

It is not a question of paying. And neither a queestion of working and not workking. It is a question on the part of people who doesn't work on specific time, flexible time to be precise - when deal is done there is no point of hanging around.

If you travel off-peak bec and done business 2 hours later or for some reason or you have to go back home, you are not allowed and you have to wait hours and hours until the off-peak time OR YOU PAY.

You cannot argue that that is not illogical, especially if you are out there cold, miserable to go home to sort things out and hungry!

Hello dareen-b! I don't think you understand what I am trying to get at. or, maybe i didn't express my point properly.

First, to comment, you shouldn't attack personally. Or perhaps be nicer person to point out your view. (I don't see the point of attacking). If you have a different view, point it out not me under your fire. This is my experience and this is what I feel about the whole situation.

THERE ARE POLICIES in any means of TRANSPORTATION. FINE. People who work on peak time have no choice but to get the peak time ticket which is more. Those who work off-peak will get the off-peak ticket which is cheaper and better deal.

It is not a question of paying. And neither a queestion of working and not workking. It is a question on the part of people who doesn't work on specific time, flexible time to be precise - when deal is done there is no point of hanging around.

If you travel off-peak bec and done business 2 hours later or for some reason or you have to go back home, you are not allowed and you have to wait hours and hours until the off-peak time OR YOU PAY.

You cannot argue that that is not illogical, especially if you are out there cold, miserable to go home to sort things out and hungry!
    I think Darrens reply was addressing your thread title not attacking anyone If any one wants to have an anytime ticket, that costs more If anyone finds themselves wanting to travel outside of their entitlement the solution is to buy the appropriate ticket irritating it may be illogical not
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Banned
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Couldn't you have just paid the extra?

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    I think Darrens reply was addressing your thread title not attacking anyone If any one wants to have an anytime ticket, that costs more If anyone finds themselves wanting to travel outside of their entitlement the solution is to buy the appropriate ticket irritating it may be illogical not
    I think it is you being illogical... There are two 'peak' periods during a working day when people travel to work (in the morning and in the evening) and it is logical an off-peak ticket won't let you travel in these peak times. Just makes sure you always understand the restrictions of any train ticket you buy.

Hello keithAngel! Here's darre-b's comment. It is not about not understanding the restrictions, it is how the way they work out on the charges. If you bought ticket thinking you are to stay longer, that is fine. But if you have to go back home for valid reasons and not bec you just want to, you have to pay extra add'l cost.

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Couldn't you have just paid the extra?
    Hello triple5! The is exactly what I am trying to say. It is paying extra and I find that illogical. I go out late thinking I go home late. But business done and others cancelled and have to go home. Now to do this, I need to pay extra to be alout in or wait out there in cold for more hours.

If you travel off-peak and you say you forgot something back home and need be to be home, you have to pay? That to me is really very illogical. If you don't see that way I see it, then that is soooooooooooo understanding with the system.

But if you have to go back home for valid reasons and not bec you just want to, you have to pay extra add'l cost.
    Yes you do thats logical, as your valid reasons are nothing to do with the contract you entered into with the transport company
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

you've bought an off peak ticket, thats when your suppose to travel
    they are the rules, same rules i had to stick to when i travelled with an off peak ticket. you have to plan your journey better, take into account you might finish your meeting earlier or latter before you buy an off peak ticket.
    i didn't like waiting 90mins but its either you wait or you pay more

Banned
    Hello triple5! The is exactly what I am trying to say. It is paying extra and I find that illogical. I go out late thinking I go home late. But business done and others cancelled and have to go home. Now to do this, I need to pay extra to be alout in or wait out there in cold for more hours.

If you travel off-peak and you say you forgot something back home and need be to be home, you have to pay? That to me is really very illogical. If you don't see that way I see it, then that is soooooooooooo understanding with the system.
    But then anybody could buy the cheaper off peak ticket, turn up at the more expensive on peak times and say its cold I want to go home, finished early for the day, forgot my sandwiches, whatever. Everybody would take advantage of it.

Respected Member
    Seems perfectly clear to me.
    I have evening and wknd calls on my BT phone which means something like i can call for free after 6pm and before 6am and from friday 6pm till monday 6am.
    If I begin a call at 5.50am during the week and dont finish til 6.30am then i`m liable to pay for 30 mins of the call. Its irrelevant what time I begin the call!
    I`m certain no-ones attacking you but to be honest I dont know what the problem is!
    You can go home early but you have to pay as discussed, seems to make perfect sense.

I think it is you being illogical... There are two 'peak' periods during a working day when people travel to work (in the morning and in the evening) and it is logical an off-peak ticket won't let you travel in these peak times.

Just makes sure you always understand the restrictions of any train ticket you buy.
    To be fair to Bless, I think she felt that the respondent might've made his *point in a [dare I say?] friendlier manner ... rather than raise her hackles with the somewhat curt - almost dismissive - way in which *it appears to have been expressed. Purely an obsevation, I hasten to add!

Word sounds totally logical that an off peak ticket could not be used during the two peaks when the majority working and not working wish to travel.

When commuting I see plenty of people in education, shoppers and wot not who stump up the extra for the convenice of travelling at peak hours. But I know plenty of workers who work later or stay up town to get a cheaper rate. Logically any operating compay to discourage those who have a choice when to travel would give an incentive to travel during the off peaks.
    Also logically the laws of supply and demand say if a commodity is in demand then the price of said commodity rises

Many people are happy to work 9 to 5 mon to fri and often are happier to settle for less pay/benefits than they might get if they worked unsociable hours. My Wife has just moved Jobs and although now a Manager gets slightly less generous benefits but now works more sociable hours so is delighted

I see and know of people who work late or early in Jobs and some Moan as it hinders their social or family life but do it as they have to, others find it suits them better horses for courses and all that

Lets face it you paid less so could have spent the saving on a extra book or a drink people watching at the station the world go by or reading

By the way I found from experience different operating companies have different policys so best to check the rules for each one some except off peak tickets in the evening "rush hour" others dont.

One thing im a bit confused you mention you bought a off peak travel card, the only time travel is restricted is before 9.30 mon to fri. However the oyster card has two peak rates a day (check the TFL site for details)
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    To be fair to Bless, I think she felt that the respondent might've made his *point in a [dare I say?] friendlier manner ... rather than raise her hackles with the somewhat curt - almost dismissive - way in which *it appears to have been expressed. Purely an obsevation, I hasten to add!
    My response might have been a bit curt, but it was hardly an attack. It was just a response to the title of this totally illogical rant.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    One thing im a bit confused you mention you bought a off peak travel card, the only time travel is restricted is before 9.30 mon to fri. However the oyster card has two peak rates a day (check the TFL site for details)
    Day travelcards are available from various stations outside of London that give you a return train journey into London as well a TFL travel card.

My response might have been a bit curt, but it was hardly an attack. It was just a response to the title of this totally illogical rant.

Day travelcards are available from various stations outside of London that give you a return train journey into London as well a TFL travel card.

People live outside of London

I was thinking that must be the case as I sent the post

I wish to reply to all the responses but it's late night now - next time.

Just want to note that -
    One is not crazy just bec one has a crazy idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Hello Arthurlittle! Thank you so much. I wish for more people like you.

It is no wonder, why thread gets closed, members get banned bec of such and such ...

Respected Member
    bless.books, I know you feel hard done by, but this is the system here. If you buy an off peak ticket, regardless of the circumstances you cannot use it to travel peak. The peak tickets are sold at a premium price. The system firstly is the way the rail companies make the profits, and prevents people who don't need to travel clogging up the system. I always book the offpeak or cheap tickets going to London, which restrict me to a specific service or off peak time, and accept that if i'm all done by 5, I have to wait till 7+ to catch a train home.

bless.books, I know you feel hard done by, but this is the system here. If you buy an off peak ticket, regardless of the circumstances you cannot use it to travel peak. The peak tickets are sold at a premium price. The system firstly is the way the rail companies make the profits, and prevents people who don't need to travel clogging up the system. I always book the offpeak or cheap tickets going to London, which restrict me to a specific service or off peak time, and accept that if i'm all done by 5, I have to wait till 7+ to catch a train home.
    2 more hours in London sounds like heaven to me before go back to the country side

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Word sounds totally logical that an off peak ticket could not be used during the two peaks when the majority working and not working wish to travel. When commuting I see plenty of people in education, shoppers and wot not who stump up the extra for the convenice of travelling at peak hours. But I know plenty of workers who work later or stay up town to get a cheaper rate. Logically any operating compay to discourage those who have a choice when to travel would give an incentive to travel during the off peaks. Also logically the laws of supply and demand say if a commodity is in demand then the price of said commodity rises

Many people are happy to work 9 to 5 mon to fri and often are happier to settle for less pay/benefits than they might get if they worked unsociable hours. My Wife has just moved Jobs and although now a Manager gets slightly less generous benefits but now works more sociable hours so is delighted I see and know of people who work late or early in Jobs and some Moan as it hinders their social or family life but do it as they have to, others find it suits them better horses for courses and all that Lets face it you paid less so could have spent the saving on a extra book or a drink people watching at the station the world go by or reading

By the way I found from experience different operating companies have different policys so best to check the rules for each one some except off peak tickets in the evening "rush hour" others dont. One thing im a bit confused you mention you bought a off peak travel card, the only time travel is restricted is before 9.30 mon to fri. However the oyster card has two peak rates a day (check the TFL site for details)

Hello somebody! Thanks for sharing you input. I have no contradictions on that considering the way the company works. Of course, what seems unreasonable is reasonable depending on who is supplies and who demands. As I observed, most are just sold out to what is imposed on them. Just saying Yes, and reasons out - that is the way it is. Yes and abroad as well. They have a different policy like Germany for instance (as I remember) they go for distance. And yes that is what I know - on SWT the off peak time referred to the START of the journey which had to be arriving in London after 10 am. No-one I spoke to reckoned you were restricted as to when you could come BACK - and I found that out just the other day.

Hello and thanks RickyR! I know that and I am responsible enough to follow the policies provided. Really no question about that. But if you think about it, it all come down to profit needless to say ONE SIDED. If this system is the most logical way, then WHY is it that other countries had not taken the same way like here if only to solve the congestion issue. Surely, when talking about 'rush hour' it is all the same anywhere in the world. I am analysing at how things are done here compared ...

Respected Member
    Hello and thanks RickyR! I know that and I am responsible enough to follow the policies provided. Really no question about that. But if you think about it, it all come down to profit needless to say ONE SIDED. If this system is the most logical way, then WHY is it that other countries had not taken the same way like here if only to solve the congestion issue. Surely, when talking about 'rush hour' it is all the same anywhere in the world. I am analysing at how things are done here compared ...
    I can only comment on the train line (London Liverpool Street to Norwich) that I use regularly at peak periods and I know that the trains around 5:30/6:00 in the evening are overcrowded. Hence it is totally logical that these trains are classified as running at peak times.

Respected Member
    Yes bless.books it is financially motivated, but thats the way of the world. The price differences between Peak and Offpeak are fantastic, and if you prebook offpeak tickets online you can get some great deals. You can even travel using megatrain across the country for as little as a pound.

. You can even travel using megatrain across the country for as little as a pound.
    Now thats ilogical
    Absit invidia

Respected Member
    If you want to know even more illogical, I want to visit a friend in Belfast with Marvie and the little one. I found a cheap flight from Bristol with ryanair for 37 quid return for all three of us, FANTASTIC :-) Get to the payment page, removing all the options, and then it says select payment. So I select Visa Debit, and it suddenly shoots the price to 67 pounds for card charges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now thats a scam, the only way to get around it is to have a prepaid Mastercard and you suddenly don't pay fees...

Yes bless.books it is financially motivated, but thats the way of the world. The price differences between Peak and Offpeak are fantastic, and if you prebook offpeak tickets online you can get some great deals. You can even travel using megatrain across the country for as little as a pound.
    Hello RickyR! Yes, a sad reality on how they operate - something I could never come to understand.

Respected Member
    Something I can comment intelligently on at last - being a former railway person!

In fact I can understand why the OP is annoyed. Until recently OFF PEAK for travel to London on a travelcard meant deaprting your station any time after 09:30. There were few or no restrictions on returning home. The reason was simple: the morning peak is very concentrated and hard to get seats; the evening peak is more spread out because a lot of us commuters work late or, more likely, drift off to the pub. As a result you can nearly always get a seat on evening peak trains.

So, the only reason for changing the rules was to make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    But then anybody could buy the cheaper off peak ticket, turn up at the more expensive on peak times and say its cold I want to go home, finished early for the day, forgot my sandwiches, whatever. Everybody would take advantage of it.
    Hello triple5! Yes, there are all sorts of reasons one can make valid or not and again yes, most will take advantage if not all ... this is why I posted this thread to have a discussion on impositions made by the railway people. No matter how you plan your journey, we all know that things will go worng somewhere somehow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information