Why on earth did i say, on another thread, "no more immigration/passport paperwork"!!!!

My step daughter is off on a school trip to France in March and this requires both a British passport and EH1C health insurance card.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem BUT we have just completed her legal adoption so her surname has changed. I did think well that's ok she can travel under her old name but then as far as the NHS are concerned her name and NHS number has changed, so thought it best to get a new EH1C card in her new name.

So then we also need her British passport to be in her new Surname. So after several calls to the Passport help line an application was duly despached to the passport office along with her adoption certificate, British and Philippines passports.

Received a letter today worded as follows:-

" Thank you for your letter today setting out the circumstances of ******** change of name. You sent a foreigh passport as evidence to support this application. However the name shown on the foreign passport is different from the the name on the passport application. For security purposes, it is our policy that a British passport will not be issued to you if you hold a passport (British or foreign) identity document or travel document in a different name.

For us to issue a passport in the name of ******************* 'new surname' you would need to change the name shown on the foreign passport , or be able to show that an application has been made to the relevant authorities to change this.

If both parents have legal responsibility, a child's name may not legally be changed without the permission of every person with parental responsibility, or the permission of the Court. As it is clear from the information you have provided that you both have parental responsibilty, please send us a letter from your children's other parent giving their permission to the change of name. They should sign and date the letter and include their relationship to the children.

If you need your documents returned to facilitate this, please request this in writing and supply a secure royal mail envelope for delivery."

So today, i have requested they return her passports and adoption certificate so i can then pursue getting her name changed in her Philippine passport. However, from what i can gather, i will need to fill in an adoption form at the Phil embassy which i am assuming will result in a change to her NSO birth details before a new Philippine passport will be issued.

What a mess! They didn't ask me to send in her Biometric residence permit or oath of alliegance which of course are also in her old name. Anybody got any ideas?