Most companies I.T department are avoiding Vista like the plague and happy with XP. Its become like the old saying your never get sacked for buying xerox/ibm was a few years back.
An I.T department has a network that runs the hassles of upgrading systems at the weekends ensuring that the segments still on w2k/XP sync with the Vista with no security or performance problems, is just not worth the hassles if it goes wrong . I have not heard of one person demanding to be upgraded to Vista, but we have had plenty of people asking how to add a vista pc to an existing network and in some cases wishing they had ordered or requested a version with XP.
A few years back, offices would have pcs with 95,98,98se,nt4, w2k,and a few on xp a right old mess most places desktops are now w2k or xp rare to see any other o/s being used drivers, print servers and nas's all fairly standized thank god. We now suggest any old os's are runing as virtual machines on a pc which is much better.

Microsoft are saying that XP maybe around for a good few years particulary in countries like Phill especially.

Vista will take a few years but we will all move over slowly as a sizeable percentage of companies are either on a 3 or 5 year turnover of there pc equipment. As most big companies felt complled to upgrade in 99 due to the y2k bug threat and dot com bubble. The next wave is 08/09 for them.

Didn't we all learn from xp that it was only untill after xp sp 1 that it was even worth trying to use. Like joe says vista sp 1 looks like its on its way.

Like the survey by compita recently found the most important application is and has been the browser, many city firms are developing browser accessed software, google and others are trying to develop for the mainstream and i can see it being the way forward. Soon we may only have a stripped down o/s on many of our pcs while accessing the rest via the web or a server in the house/office (ala ctrix stylee)