Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: studying in UK

studying in UK

hi everyone!

has anybody here especially the filipino spouses have tried enrolling/studying in colleges/universities here in UK? what course have you enrolled and WHY?

me & my hubby had a plan for me to enroll to our nearest college here, maybe, in that way, it would help me get a better job in the future. I'm just confused what course to get...

hope your experience guys would help me weigh things before I finally decide!
    with a heart full of love, you will express your highest potential while also fulfilling your soul's deepest purpose:
    TO LOVE AND BE LOVED!

I think that unless you have a specific job in mind the best courses to go for are ones that teach typing, word processing, MS Word and spreadsheets, MS Excel etc. These sorts of skills are useful for a variety of careers.
    Cheers,
    Iain.

I'm thinking of that sort of job that is in demand here in UK & what course needed to get that job in the future.....

Coz i have been applying for clerical/administrative or office related jobs that matches my previous work experience but employers here just won't count it i think.

i'm now confused, whether to enhance my previous skills/qualifications or make a career change.
    with a heart full of love, you will express your highest potential while also fulfilling your soul's deepest purpose:
    TO LOVE AND BE LOVED!

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I think that unless you have a specific job in mind the best courses to go for are ones that teach typing, word processing, MS Word and spreadsheets, MS Excel etc. These sorts of skills are useful for a variety of careers.
    Cheers,
    Iain.

Ecdl is a good way of learning and showing you have the above skills

Faclitation skills ie be able to organise and chair meetings. Thats what most people in offices seem to spend most of the day doing.

Also Business Email/phone procedure and etiquette.

What sort of job do you want or would prefer?

Part time job, full time career?

Retail, office admin, design, managment, catering, manufacturing or something else?

If catering or just a part time job then getting a food hygiene certificate.
    Even a first aid certificate (in any career path) is a useful cert to hold saves an employer haveing to train someone up.

Sometimes skills, qualifications and qualities you have will not get you the job on there own but be plus factors which will help you when up agaisnt others.

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    I'm thinking of that sort of job that is in demand here in UK & what course needed to get that job in the future.....

Coz i have been applying for clerical/administrative or office related jobs that matches my previous work experience but employers here just won't count it i think.

i'm now confused, whether to enhance my previous skills/qualifications or make a career change.

Nearly all office based work involves pc's here so ECDL or cliat are course which maybe of use.

Also if your CV hints you lived abroad for most of your live it maybe worth promoting the fact you have good all round English Skills.

so an English qualification may be of use as well.

I would say enhance your previous skills and get some paper qualifications for the Word, Excel etc. Then see if you can get some good references from your previous employers in Phils and finally, make yourself a really good, concise, attractive and well laid out CV.

Iain.

thanks so much guys for all your ideas & suggestions, these are things that i might also consider!
    TO LOVE AND BE LOVED!

Respected Member
    My wife trained as an English teacher in the Phil but was unable to use it here. She enroled initially in the open university but found the course far too hard for her. The problem is that although she has an extensive vocabulary she tends still to use American English in her construction and spelling and that is not acceptable in a clerical job here which involves a lot of writing. Her "accent" is still quite pronounced so her ability on the telephone is questionable. She gets frustrated because she is not always immediately understood. She took a BTEC in childcare and now works in our business as a nursery nurse, which enables her to use her teacher training effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by David House View Post
    My wife trained as an English teacher in the Phil but was unable to use it here. She enroled initially in the open university but found the course far too hard for her. The problem is that although she has an extensive vocabulary she tends still to use American English in her construction and spelling and that is not acceptable in a clerical job here which involves a lot of writing. Her "accent" is still quite pronounced so her ability on the telephone is questionable. She gets frustrated because she is not always immediately understood. She took a BTEC in childcare and now works in our business as a nursery nurse, which enables her to use her teacher training effectively.
    unfortunately, i have also encountered same problem as of the moment as i'm not yet used to the language here considering that i have just arrived here, coz back in Phils., we're used to the american english as what had been taught in schools.

even if most filipino spouses speak & write english well, still we have this language to adjust i think.

anyway, thanks for sharing your wife's experience. I will probably consider this also!
    TO LOVE AND BE LOVED!

Quote Originally Posted by David House View Post
    She enroled initially in the open university but found the course far too hard for her.
    was it a degree course your wife enrolled on ? and at what level?

I've found level one and two courses pretty easy, and I'm not academic at all , maybe it was a level 3

and also, i think if you've not been in the uk at least 3 years, you have to pay international fees

Respected Member
    It was a level 3, two year course at our local college She was a "mature" student, although she is only 28, all of the others were 17 or 18. She found it academically straight forward, but put in a lot of effort to get things absolutely right and declined any help from me. Her biggest problem was in dealing with her younger fellow students, some of whom had no real interest in the course and were there more to avoid having to find work than to improve themselves! My wife hates attitudes like that as from where comes from an education is a priviledge and not to be wasted. She let them know and suffered some bullying as a consequence.

you could struggle with doing level 3 straight away, you should start with level 1 or 2, i lost marks for using the word 'couldn't' and was told it's below the expected standard for level 3

but it's more important now than ever, to make sure if possible what ever you study is recognised internationally, even if it is, it's still not the end of the battle, as my wife is still studying to take uk exams so her qualifications are recognised

How about a S.I.A. Door Supervisor course Scotland is particularly short and there are lots of opportunities to work as a woman in sporting events, football clubs, retail security and many firms have in house administrative requirements

Costs about £400 pounds course and licence

I am nursing graduate in the Phils (under board) so I end up working here in UK as senior carer or my colleagues called it BBC (british bum cleaner). I would like to be a nurse here its more money compare to a carer I only get £5.90/hour and our nurses get £12/hour and they just only sit on their bum all day while us the carers do all the jobs then we are then one being blamed for all the mistakes. When I get my ILR next year (hopefully, unless they change the ILR period for work permit visa holder again) I am planning to continue my study here in UK for my career and future.

A few months ago I enquire in a Uni here about my plan of continuing my study I able to get an appointment and I am so disappointed that my degree in Phils is only NVQ 3 here in UK and to meet all the requirements to study here as a foreign student I need atleast £3000/year

I want to pursue my vocation here for a better career but thinking about the amount of money I need to spend...it puts me off. I guess I need to find a rich Brits husband soon to support me joke

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    I guess I need to find a rich Brits husband soon to support me joke
    If you are really pretty, then you can find a rich husband easily. joke

Quote Originally Posted by benb View Post
    If you are really pretty, then you can find a rich husband easily. joke
    really...for sure your wife is so pretty she found you to support her lucky filipina joke

really...for sure your wife is so pretty she found you to support her lucky filipina joke
    Fortunately, Not everyone is like you.

Fortunately, Not everyone is like you.
    you are right not everyone is like me I may be ugly and your wife is pretty but the only difference between me and your wife is I didn't use my face to get a brit to be here in your country I work so hard in your country and that's all I do I am not menace to the society I hope your wife won't encounter a sarcastic one like you when she arrive here...

sorry to the thread starter....

you are right not everyone is like me I may be ugly and your wife is pretty but the only difference between me and your wife is I didn't use my face to get a brit to be here in your country I work so hard in your country and that's all I do I am not menace to the society I hope your wife won't encounter a sarcastic one like you when she arrive here...

sorry to the thread starter....
    Oh Dear!, who is sarcastic?. Calm down lady. You are assuming too much.

You are assuming that you may be ugly.
    You are saying that my wife used her face to get a brit.
    You are saying that i am sarcastic. i suggest you read the posts properly please.

Good to hear that you are doing well and contributing to the society.

Cheers

unfortunately, i have also encountered same problem as of the moment as i'm not yet used to the language here considering that i have just arrived here, coz back in Phils., we're used to the american english as what had been taught in schools.

even if most filipino spouses speak & write english well, still we have this language to adjust i think.

anyway, thanks for sharing your wife's experience. I will probably consider this also!
    Good Luck sis, thanks for the input, i might consider this in near future
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Banned
    Not everyone is like you.
    i guess she mis understood your words...was wondering also what was that mean "not everyone is like you"

peace everybody ,

Banned
    hi everyone!

has anybody here especially the filipino spouses have tried enrolling/studying in colleges/universities here in UK? what course have you enrolled and WHY?

me & my hubby had a plan for me to enroll to our nearest college here, maybe, in that way, it would help me get a better job in the future. I'm just confused what course to get...

hope your experience guys would help me weigh things before I finally decide!

Try webpage design short course then ECDL. Goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by jedc143 View Post
    i guess she mis understood your words...was wondering also what was that mean "not everyone is like you"

peace everybody ,
    I meant not everyone is like her who needs to support their family back in the Philippines.

Best Wishes

Thread Information