Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Barrio Fiesta

Barrio Fiesta

Not sure if Barrio Fiesta will take place in Hounslow this weekend as there are some issues with Health & Safety which they are trying to resolve today .Check the website http://www.philippinecentre.com/barriofiesta2008.html later today when it will be updated proberly after meetings with local council
    M&M

internet explorer cannot display the webpage???
    we plan to go for the first time..hope everything
    will be fine.

any update on this?? link does not work

Quote Originally Posted by 22pilgrim View Post
    any update on this?? link does not work
    Sorry one letter to many in the link but I have corrected it now , still not updated the site
    M&M

Providing Support
    and Activities in the UK to the Local Community

from Hounslow Council

Barrio Fiesta not going ahead
    Tue, 15 July 2008
    The Barrio Fiesta that was due to take place at Lampton Park in Hounslow on Saturday July 19th and Sunday July 20th will not go ahead because of fears over health and safety.
    Event organisers have not been able to satisfy conditions requested by the Metropolitan Police or London Fire Brigade (Hounslow), so a licence for the Barrio has not been granted.
    A spokesperson for John Laing Integrated Services, which manages parks and libraries on behalf of the London Borough of Hounslow, said: “We can confirm that the Barrio Fiesta will not take place in Lampton Park on the weekend of July 19 and 20 because the event has not been granted a licence.
    "This decision has been made based upon advice from Hounslow Police and London Fire Brigade (Hounslow), who both expressed major concerns over the organisation of the event, particularly the health and safety of those who would attend it.
    “We have made every effort to support the organisers of the Barrio to meet the obligations required to obtain the licence needed for management of large-scale community events like this. However, a number of the required licensing conditions have not been met.
    “We are committed to supporting this event in future years and hope to work closely with the Filipino community with their plans for future events to ensure that they take place in a safe and secure environment.
    “All stall holders will be contacted personally and be told of this decision.
    “Over the weekend, police and park staff will be present at Lampton Park to redirect any visitors who still may attend.”

Home - Services - Events - Centre Activities - Information - Contacts & Map
    Tagpuang Pilipino : Registered Charity No.298707 United Kingdom
    M&M

london well away from those people up norf
    Ouuch gonna be some not very happy people this was not mentioned earlier by the organisers. As i know people fly in and drive from miles away to go to the fiesta.

They are trying to resolve it but it may be to late
    M&M

I would have thought way to late.

Overtime of support services and the sewards. Getting all the barricades etc in place.

Getting the police, fire brigade, council (many on strike ironic with the union unison at the moment) and i guess london transport with hounslow central station taking a huge hit with all the people passing though.

Fingers crossed for those going

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar

HOUNSLOW festival cancelled!

Barrio Fiesta called off over 'major' safety fears

This weekend's popular Filipino festival Barrio Fiesta has been suddenly cancelled after officials refused it a licence over safety concerns.

The council says lack of traffic planning was the main reason council officers, firefighters and police told organisers The Philippine Centre that the party in Lampton Park could not go ahead on Saturday and Sunday.

But Julius Billones, who organised last month's Philippines Independence Day Festival (pictutred) and oversaw last year's Barrio Festival, believes security is the real issue.

He said: "I wasn't impressed with the way last year's event was run, which is why I didn't get involved this time.

"There's going to be a horrible situation this weekend, with coaches from various countries turning up not realising the event was cancelled.

"Businesses have ordered extra merchandise and food and they're waiting to hear when the s1,400 they paid to attend will be returned.

"This would have been the festival's 24th year but we need a more transparent management team to make sure it happens next year.

"We're already in talks about organising a smaller event some time during the next couple of months."

Thousands of people were expected to attend from accross the UK and Europe and police will be forced to turn away visitors who have not heard the bad news.

Stall holders who have paid in advance could be left out of pocket and dozens of planned coach trips from around Europe will have to be scrapped.

A spokesperson for John Laing Integrated Services, which manages parks and libraries on behalf of the London Borough of Hounslow, said: We can confirm that the Barrio Fiesta will not take place in Lampton Park on the weekend of July 19 and 20 because the event has not been granted a licence.

This decision has been made based upon advice from Hounslow Police and London Fire Brigade (Hounslow), who both expressed major concerns over the organisation of the event, particularly the health and safety of those who would attend it.

We have made every effort to support the organisers of the Barrio to meet the obligations needed to obtain the type of licence that's needed for management of large-scale community events like this. However, a number of required licensing conditions have not been met."

Last year i had to say it seemed like a village fete which had 30000 people turn up. Very chaotic and the attitude of a lot fo the people running stalls and merchandise was not very friendly to non phills (more for local people i saw walking round rather than towards me)
    Also was quite surpised about the amount of people drinking and half cut on the sunday even very early on.

what can i say?im so upset
    it will be my first barrio fiesta,and were
    very excited about it,my inlaws is joining us
    as well,now its cancelled...im very dissapointed.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    its definitely NO barrio fiesta this weekend.SHAme really coz everybody is looking forward to it:(

Quote Originally Posted by ellie30 View Post
    its definitely NO barrio fiesta this weekend.SHAme really coz everybody is looking forward to it:(
    So sad.

We missed the Idenpendence day fiesta, and was so looking forward to this one instead.

Anyone know of any more fiestas this year in the south of England which we can attend?

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briank View Post
    So sad.

We missed the Idenpendence day fiesta, and was so looking forward to this one instead.

Anyone know of any more fiestas this year in the south of England which we can attend?

all i know of is the last weekend of august in milton keynes

Banned
    I was making joke w/ my hubby cause we are planning to go there but my visa haven't come yet so i said "wahhh cause i wont able to come thats why they canceled it" (making joke to him)

I hope they can make it still

Good cancelled coz will not go there hehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by aug06_2006 View Post
    Good cancelled coz will not go there hehehe!
    online in ym pls.

its a bit unfortunate really that they have to cancell it..
    i know some people who have already booked a hotel in london just to attend..
    and now they dont know where to go.. :(

Banned

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by mike1 View Post
    Providing Support
    and Activities in the UK to the Local Community

from Hounslow Council

Barrio Fiesta not going ahead
    Tue, 15 July 2008
    The Barrio Fiesta that was due to take place at Lampton Park in Hounslow on Saturday July 19th and Sunday July 20th will not go ahead because of fears over health and safety.
    Event organisers have not been able to satisfy conditions requested by the Metropolitan Police or London Fire Brigade (Hounslow), so a licence for the Barrio has not been granted.
    A spokesperson for John Laing Integrated Services, which manages parks and libraries on behalf of the London Borough of Hounslow, said: “We can confirm that the Barrio Fiesta will not take place in Lampton Park on the weekend of July 19 and 20 because the event has not been granted a licence.
    "This decision has been made based upon advice from Hounslow Police and London Fire Brigade (Hounslow), who both expressed major concerns over the organisation of the event, particularly the health and safety of those who would attend it.
    “We have made every effort to support the organisers of the Barrio to meet the obligations required to obtain the licence needed for management of large-scale community events like this. However, a number of the required licensing conditions have not been met.
    “We are committed to supporting this event in future years and hope to work closely with the Filipino community with their plans for future events to ensure that they take place in a safe and secure environment.
    “All stall holders will be contacted personally and be told of this decision.
    “Over the weekend, police and park staff will be present at Lampton Park to redirect any visitors who still may attend.”

Home - Services - Events - Centre Activities - Information - Contacts & Map
    Tagpuang Pilipino : Registered Charity No.298707 United Kingdom
    As many people as possible should complain to the Council about this disgraceful decision

http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/index/contact_us.htm

Also raise a complaint with the local government ombudsman

http://www.lgo.org.uk/complain.htm

Write to the MP, Local Councillors etc this link gives their details and makes it easy to contact them

http://tinyurl.com/6bjbob

http://tinyurl.com/6bjbob

Thread Information