Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: What camera

What camera

Same question, still no sensible answer, well at least I can't make up my mind.

I'm going to take a small light DV tape video camera, an underwater/waterproof camera, but the question is what still camera.

I don't want to take a good dSLR, as I'm sure that i will lose it or damage it. I have a Pentax *ist that is OK, but it needs careful use to get good pictures. Plus with lenses it gets big and heavy.

I am leaning towards taking a decent compact like the Panasonic Lumix TZ3, it has a good lens, good zoom range, and is made very useable by the image stabiliser.

I did some tests at the weekend, and the results from the TZ3 are nearly as good as a dSLR, you can only really see the difference on big enlargements, but the TZ3 comes out on top hand held in poor light.

My thinking is that I take the TZ3, and get lots of good shots because it is easy to use, rather that something bigger and get just a couple of very good shots, because i won't use it as much.

Somebody tell me if my logic makes sense or not, I don't want to get there and wish I had done something different!

Eos 1

Quote Originally Posted by ginapeterb View Post
    Eos 1
    Very nice, but what would get used more, that is my question!
    To be honest, I don't get on with Canon, just got rid of a 400, never used it, nothing wrong with it, and thousands of people swear by them, but I couldn't feel comfortable with it.

But back to the question, am I going to have better memories with an easy to use compact, or with a dSLR and lenses to carry around????

I have the DSLR and let the wife carry it
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I have the DSLR and let the wife carry it
    Yes, but they look better not wearing a camera

Try a Canon Ixus model, even more limited (no 10x zoom), it gives very good quality images and fit easily in a pocket. I even did good photos at night time (like Cebu City landscape at night from Cebu tops).

I like it when traveling in the Philippines, because it's always in my pocket (so not visible) and easy to get to do a photo and put back in the pocket... I have also an external flash for it to do full night photos.

Reflex or bridge models can't be hidden like this... even doing better photos.

I have Pentax K10D if I need a better one, but it can't be use by everybody (the Ixus yes).
    Best regards.
    Yves

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    I had the same problems you've got now. I spent months trying to figure out the best option for me. In the end I went for a Canon G9. A great camera (if a little big for a compact) that lets you shot pics fully manual if you want. You can mess about with the ISO, f stop etc to your hearts content. Of course it has fully auto aswell. A good zoom length to but you can also buy convertor lenses aswell to double the zoom length and another one to bring the focal length to 28mm. Its very well built aswell. I got mine from ebay, which seemed to average about £260, or on the high street for I think £320.

Have a look at the forums on dpreview.

Thread Information