Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

What kind of job

Just curious what kind of job we can get into in the U.K. I've learned that there is a small chance in getting a job the same as we have back home in the Phils. Here in the U.K> they give priorities to the Brits and those from the EU nations. Is the school we had been through in college has a big say in looking for a job? How about a graduate of the University of the Philippines which i've heard is the only recognized university abroad? (correct me if i'm wrong). I've heard of a lady, a graduate of UP in Diliman Quezon City and has a good job in a go'vt firm that's in Bureau of Customs (a Personal Assistant of the Director)and then when she went abroad (well not in the U.K.) she first had a job in an advertising company as Asst. Editor, transferred to a Borough Council as the person in-charge of resumes of people applying for the "study now pay later plan" then eventually got the 3rd job in a telephone company. I@m just wondering if we can also get the same here in the U.K.?
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

if your on a spouse visa or ILR, then many employers don't pick brits or europeans before filipino's, my wife when she was looking for a job, was asked to attend an interview at a number of companies she applied for jobs at. she didn't get the job becuase she was not experienced in that field of work, someone with more experience was offered the job.

but when she applied for a job with the nhs, she was offered the job the next day, all depends on your skills and experience, just as it is for us brits when applying for a job, if someone has more experince than you, they will probably get the job b4 you.

not true to say your philippines degree is not recognised, you can compare it to a uk one by using http://www.naric.org.uk/

just keep trying and you will find a job you like, i'm still looking for a job a like after 25years thou

Respected Member
    No priority is given for Brits or UK citizens. Some might argue that the opposite is the case! If your English is OK then you will be judged on your qualifications, experience, and personality like anyonoe else.

Thanks Jeobloggs and IanB for your quick replies. I will keep that in mind.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Wow, you are keen, you only just got here, take it easy for a bit and settle in to your life here in the UK. You will need to start the application for your National Insurance Number if you are going to work. I believe there are some threads here on that issue, good luck in your job search when you start.
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

london well away from those people up norf
    Well the cream will normally rise to the top and laws should ensure you get an equal chance.

But what sort of job do you want here?

What Job did you have in Phill?

What qualfications did you have?

What other commitments do you have? Family to support in phill need job to fit in with hubbies?

My Wife never had a Job in Phill but was Uni educated and she may only have a retail job but she again looks like she is being marked for promotion. She enjoys her job and gets very good wages and bonsuses while its only part time allowing her time to see friends and call home.

hi there its not that easy to apply for a job here but then again if u speak good english there are chances u will get a good job. i've never been that long here yet but im working in a manufacturing company as part of the production and im gonna be 1 year working here already.i quite enjoy it and the pay is quite good as well.usually most filipinos here are working in the hospital which they can help you find a job for u and also being a care assistant as well is not that hard to get in coz they dont usually look for experienced persons but if your willing to learn then they will get you.i suggest that you go for an agency first coz they do really help immigrants like us to have a job.im in an agency and they were really helpful so now im hoping ill be permanent soon in my job.i think u just have to go for any job for experience first coz then u will be able to get a better job afterwards.

Shelly, it's not so easy to get a job, even back in the Philippines. The good thing about the UK is that they don't have age limit whereas in the Phils. when you get past the age of 30 you become un-employable. Here, they always pride themselves to be 'an equal opportunities' company or institution. We Filipinas do get a better chance to get a job. A Filipina friend of mine who's been here for 35 years is still working until now. So don't fret Shelly, enjoy, get settled...plan the wedding and the honeymoon then do the FLR, NI Number, driving lessons and theory/driving tests (as you may well need it), passport ammendment. The lists just goes on and on...there is so much to do. Enjoy life for now! Good luck!
    The bravest thing that men do is love women--Mort Sahl

yes i was to see some job ads in the phils,
    saying you had to be under 30 or 26, but worse was you had to be at least 5ft 2'

these ads would get you into trouble here , i don't think they are allowed to even ask how old you are, sure it still goes on, but proving it, is another matter

Quote Originally Posted by gracia143 View Post
    Shelly, it's not so easy to get a job, even back in the Philippines. The good thing about the UK is that they don't have age limit whereas in the Phils. when you get past the age of 30 you become un-employable. Here, they always pride themselves to be 'an equal opportunities' company or institution. We Filipinas do get a better chance to get a job. A Filipina friend of mine who's been here for 35 years is still working until now. So don't fret Shelly, enjoy, get settled...plan the wedding and the honeymoon then do the FLR, NI Number, driving lessons and theory/driving tests (as you may well need it), passport ammendment. The lists just goes on and on...there is so much to do. Enjoy life for now! Good luck!
    Words from the expert!

Thread Information