Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Marriage: Province versus Manila

Eljohno, AndyPaul and Iain,
    (was “Looking at the hill in front, with strong hiking boots ready!” )

Thanks for your input about marriage in the province versus Manila.

What you said seems to make sense and I was thinking how much stress there would be coping (and paying) with everyone up in Manila. Yes province it will be.

I think I will have to forget about saving days and think about everyone being more relaxed, her parents have only met me once in their sitio on a tiny island and they would feel more comfortable being close to home.

As she was born on this tiny island, there would be a big occasion (I don’t know if an Englishmen or other "kano" has married a girl from there before) and it would be nice to see her villagers’ smiles, fun, and of course the lechon all in the same day. There wasn’t a fridge when I bought lots of beer and soft drinks for everyone on my first visit but it was still nice to be there.

It would have to be her island, how can you plan a reception after marrying on the mainland and hoping the waves will be small to get back?

Do Filipinos plan parties around these ever-changing seas if marrying over the water?

I want the civil wedding as I am not religious and see that others have run into obstacles when marrying in the catholic church.

aposhark

Hi
    I got married married on Biliran island in my wifes small village church.We decided to marry there because it was important for all her family to be able to attend.Most of the village came too about 200 people came to the reception.

We didnt have any problems with the church even though im not catholic.They just wanted to see my baptism certificate.We were lucky because my wifes aunty works at the town hall and she helped with the papers.

Which ever way you do it you will have a great day.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    Eljohno, AndyPaul and Iain,
    (was “Looking at the hill in front, with strong hiking boots ready!” )

Thanks for your input about marriage in the province versus Manila.

What you said seems to make sense and I was thinking how much stress there would be coping (and paying) with everyone up in Manila. Yes province it will be.

I think I will have to forget about saving days and think about everyone being more relaxed, her parents have only met me once in their sitio on a tiny island and they would feel more comfortable being close to home.

As she was born on this tiny island, there would be a big occasion (I don’t know if an Englishmen or other "kano" has married a girl from there before) and it would be nice to see her villagers’ smiles, fun, and of course the lechon all in the same day. There wasn’t a fridge when I bought lots of beer and soft drinks for everyone on my first visit but it was still nice to be there.

It would have to be her island, how can you plan a reception after marrying on the mainland and hoping the waves will be small to get back?

Do Filipinos plan parties around these ever-changing seas if marrying over the water?

I want the civil wedding as I am not religious and see that others have run into obstacles when marrying in the catholic church.

aposhark
    You could get married in the nearest city mid-week, with just immediate family present and then have a big party on the island at the weekend for all of the uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents and freinds etc. I think you'll find that most of the extended family will be happy as long as there's some sort of celebration, with plenty of lechon and beer of course.

Iain.

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    You could get married in the nearest city mid-week, with just immediate family present and then have a big party on the island at the weekend for all of the uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents and freinds etc. I think you'll find that most of the extended family will be happy as long as there's some sort of celebration, with plenty of lechon and beer of course.

Iain.

My wedding was in a cvill register and only close family and my Wifes lolas sisters and and brothers attended while some uncles waiting outside with the vans (to sleep as they were up all the evening and had a long day infront of them) While the rest of family and friends met up at the reception.

We had a blessing with the Wifes Lolas pastor and loads of seats set out and fancy awnings the younger ones stayed in the shade and found a good table (can't lame em i would do the same)

But it was a great day and evening with the kids swiming and all age groups doing there own thing oldies moaning about the young, the men getting drunk and the women singing while my Wifes cool manila friends al sat smoking by ythe lake

Thread Information