Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
Some background first, My missus has been in the UK now for just over 3 yrs and is hankering to do a bit of travelling round europe, mainly paris and venice. She has her indefinate leave to remain visa to. After reading all the nightmare stories from you all about the french embassy I'm looking for a easier "backdoor" route. It seems to me that the dutch embassy is the way to go. My plan is this, tavel by air to amsterdam for a night or two, then on to paris for 3 nights then onto venice for the same. Back to the UK from there.
There are 3 rules to know where you have to apply for a Schengen visa:
1) If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of that particular country. You apply at the Embassy or Consulate responsible for the state where you live.
2) If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination.
3) If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.

In your case Subseastu, it's rule 3 that apply and as you're entering thru Amsterdam as you said you have to apply at Dutch Embassy in London (don't forget it take 2 to 3 weeks from the moment you gave all the required papers and paid the visa fee to get the visa and be able to travel.

Don't forget also when you plan your trip to carefully stay within Schengen states (don't drive thru a non Schengen state to go to another! sometimes it's tricky in E.U.). List of all Schengen countries is here: http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=5970