I would add a word of caution here to this advice. There is a widespread belief in the Philippines that every white man is loaded. There is another belief that if they (the white guy married to a Filipina within a family) has it, and you (the Filipino within that family) needs it, it is their duty to give it to you without too many questions asked. Sorry if this sounds cynical. In many cases your wife, or fiance, won't be like that at all but members of her family will be. She might become as agrieved as you at constant demands for "support" or "allowances" but her natural family orientation will make her feel guilty if she doesn't "help". My advice to everyone is to establish some ground rules early on and then stick to them. To the ladies I would say please make sure that you are marrying your man for love, and for your own future, and not because he can be the salvation of your family. To the guys I would say beware, when you marry a Filipina you will find that her family play a much bigger part in your future than you might be prepared for. If you are ready for that, fine, but if not you can expect problems. My own response has always been to support efforts to become self sufficient and to avoid those which lead to dependency. I have failed miserably. Every venture we have supported, and there have been many, has failed due to a lack of basic business sense and discipline, with money being diverted to other pressing "needs" and then the hands are held out for more from the rich guy. It can produce stress and you need to be prepared.