Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Expensive flights

I can remember before the pandemic flights was at a reasonable price. I could get a flight to Cebu, not Manila from the UK and only having one change for less than £600. Obviously i was booking and waiting for a good flight deal or a so called "sale".
    These seems to be sales on all over but can not get close to the prices i was getting before. Getting to Manila i know would be cheaper but Manila is a nightmare when changing terminals and i try to avoid it.
    I normal only look at Emirates, Etihad, Cathay Pacific or Qatar. They are all good for long haul flights. I have looked at Singapore airlines and they are a good price but i have never used them. Korean airlines have a good price as well.

Anyone use Singapore or Korean? I would appreciate any feedback if anyone has used these two airlines.

I struggle to get anything close to £600 these days.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Hi Rory, I've been using Singapore for quite a number of years and since the pandemic have come across prices two or three times ex Manchester to Cebu for just below £700. Singapore have a great reputation and definitely give a great travel experience. I always call them to book flights they are really helpful.

Respected Member
    Flight prices are going up, need to book well in advance. I have a KLM flight booked from Manchester to Manila from the end of November to the end of January. I paid £570 in July, it would cost about £1000 to book it now.

Singapore Airlines is a top-rate airline with a very good reputation I have only had good experience with them

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Singapore Airlines is the best airline based on our previous experiences. Last time we went to Manila, around Feb 2019, Keith didn't like the food on offer so we asked if they have other options. They gave him food from the first class and even freshly cooked it for him.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    Singapore Airlines offers some decent regional travel options with flight connections in Singapore.

At the start of December, we have open jaws tickets booked with Singapore Airlines:
    - Outbound Manila (via Singapore) to Phnom Penh.
    - Returning Bangkok (via Singapore) to Manila six weeks later.
    - Cost about 250 USD.

We spend Christmas in Cambodia, then fly from Phnom Penh to Bangkok with Air Asia, a couple of weeks in Thailand before catching our return flights from Bangkok to Manila.

The only issue so far is that our Bangkok to Manila flight has changed from a 23:00 Manila arrival to 05:00 in the morning. I phoned the Singapore Airlines call centre and they kindly allowed me to change the ex BKK flight so that instead of a long connection in Singapore we have an extra eight hours on the beach.

In mid-February we fly from Cebu to Denpasar (Bali), returning from Denpasar to Manila four weeks later, again with Singapore Airlines via Singapore. The cost is about the same, just over £200.

All flights booked directly with the airline.

Trusted Member
    I always book direct too, after finding prices and routing on the flight search engines.

Good news. No more toxic vaccine or dangerous booster mandates ..Foreigners can now enter with a clear antigen test!

Trusted Member
    Greetings from Pangasinan Fred.
    3112778325_221421203549695_2659278099668653074_n.jpg

by heck Graham im sure your getting younger

Trusted Member
    Haha... cheers mate.

Turned 71 last September. Pic was taken on our boy's 7th birthday, last August.

Hope you and yours are well.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    What a lovely family photograph Graham, very nice

Trusted Member
    Thanks Michael.

Respected Member
    singapore airlines is my favourite but as things are getting more expensive you have less options.

We flew this year on kuwait airlines and they were pretty good and I was pleasantly surprised after reading a few reviews.

our holiday was over the summer break and the flights were less than £2k for the 3 of us.

There was some good deals on hotels too, most still trying to recover from the pandemic.

You lot looking happy Graham..well done mate and long may it continue.All the best..Fred!

Trusted Member
    Thanks Fred !

All the best to you and yours also.

I may not be going with my wife in 2023 due to the prices.

2 adults 2 kids return flights just shy £3500 plus money when there too feed the family and friends and travel to her village some 8 hours from Manila, Looking at £6000+ for a 3 week holiday.

Still debating if she goes with one kid and I take the other away for a cheap week to Butlins!

Trusted Member
    Hopefully 'competition' in a recovering market will bring prices down a bit during the next few months...especially on the middle east airlines, not dependent upon Russia for anything.

Respected Member
    KLM have cancelled my return flight, KL808 from MNL to AMS on 5-Apr and moved me to KL808 on the previous day.
    They are still messing around with the routings and schedules and are not releasing the cheaper fare classes till a couple of months in advance.
    I have seen routings via TPE, BKK and KUL on KLM metal, and now they seem to be offering sky-high fares via SGP or KUL using other airlines for the final leg.

I have used Singapore Airlines a few times, and I can honestly say that it is probably the best I have ever experienced - and I have flown quite a lot.

All booked up for August. Been keeping an eye on flights since the turn of the year. For the 4 of us they have slowly risen from £4000-£5000

So imagine my surprise when yesterday I checked and the cheapest flying with Qatar was £3800, the next cheapest was £5000. So off course I snapped up the flights there and then!

Trusted Member
    Just waiting for my boy's Filipino renewed passport to be delivered (already has his British one), then will book some tickets to return to the UK for a holiday, and introduce the 2 brothers, for the first time, in person.

I've just returned after 4 weeks in Philippines, Indonesia & Singapore
    I managed to "hit" the Qatar airways £724 fare that was out there in late Dec.

I did London - Manila & then Singapore - London
    ... and bought a really cheap flight (Scoot) for the Davao - Singapore leg
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Trusted Member
    I'm looking at Emirates. Cheaper than Qatar at present. Have flown both in the past, and both very good.
    Etihad were the ones who upgraded me (free) to business class a couple of times though.

Im flying from Birmingham airport this time seeing I’m only 45 minutes away. Usually it’s Heathrow and park at my Dads and jump on a bus for 20 minutes. But the price difference was around £600 more at Heathrow. So decided we will splash out on a taxi to Birmingham when we go. Apparently around £80 one way.

Also found out why Qatar are a good price right now, apparently they haven’t flown from Birmingham since 2020 because of covid. They are only resuming flights again from mid July this year.

Guess trying to fill those planes!

Trusted Member
    Enjoy your trip sir.

Well, my boy has now got both of his Phil and Brit passports renewed, so I will probably book this week, for sometime in June, our hol in the UK.

Can’t believe how much flights are now. Like I said booked mine for £3,800 a couple of months back. Same flight now is going for £6,500!!!

Trusted Member
    I flew with Emirates.

Great value and service, as usual. MUCH cheaper than your figures. Try them next time.

Thread Information