Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Mobile Phones Should Be Banned In Schools

's according to the Westminster Government's Education Secretary, Gavin Williamson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56663010 ...

... and would ban the bloody things altogether - other than for use in emergency situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... and would ban the bloody things altogether - other than for use in emergency situations.
    I won't be popular among my fellow members for saying this. ... nonetheless, it has to be said: People everywhere seem to've become addicted to them to the extent they're so engrossed in their use as to render themselves oblivious to anything going on around them, which ... ... apart from just giving others the impression of being downright rude, can even prove dangerous to their own lives in the event of something unexpected happening simultaneously!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    can even prove dangerous to their own lives in the event of something unexpected happening simultaneously!
    Aye.....once saw a woman weaving all over the place trying to text on her phone while cycling. To make matters worse she was cycling the wrong way down a one way street. Darwin Award contender right there.

Trusted Member
    Agree Arthur.

They...or should I say, the constant use of them, are now holding current generations back, and stunting our youngsters' development in so many ways.

I say that objectively (and as the owner of at least 5 mobile phones), not just because I'm an old has-been.

Well looking objectively, i think you are right that in many ways our young peoples development is stunted. However, it is difficult to ignore that a smart mobile phone gives access to so much information, literally at ones fingertips. Preliminary research on just about any topic can be done in seconds. The downfall is kids (and some adults) walking along constantly looking at their phone and not where they are going, assuming everything found on a phone is gospel and not getting to explore more traditional avenues of research such as books, libraries. I have noticed that most seem to be in some ways out of touch with reality, preferring to watch fantasy films, comic book super heroes and playing games where characters dying (normally a violent bloody death) seem to get up and start again endlessly. Technology is great but .......have we come too far?

My step daughter has a phone which she needs at school as they pay for there meals at school using it (all cashless now and on an app). same applies to school reports, notices from school, reporting absence, it's all done by phone or computer. Not sure how they stop them using phones during lessons, I will have to ask her, but I think they probably surrender the phone on entering a classroom (turned off) and collect on exit.

Trusted Member
    Good points sir.

its the addiction thats the problem, its like talking to a brick wall when you try talk to someone who always is on the phone, its ignorant and its distructful
    just one of the negatives, though i do know there are positives too to having a cel phone but can people stop becoming lost in it with their addiction,

as far as schools are concerned i would have thought they wouldnt be allowed anyway

Trusted Member
    I agree .

All things in moderation... especially for 'pastimes' that are likely to become addictive.

Kids need more and better ACTIVITIES.

Thread Information