Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Angry Not Good Enough!

... I have just noticed that, from mid-day on Saturday - until late in the evening - the selected line up of programmes predominating our main television channel consist of Live Coverage of the Six Nations Rugby League toutnament, in addition to play-backs of the day's soccer highlights on Match of the Day ... the *results of which are already being broadcast on interspersed news bulletins as soon as *they're available.

And this is what non~sports fans are paying a hefty TV licence for!

Trusted Member
    TV has really gone down the drain Arthur.

What happened to the VARIETY of sports we could once enjoy ?

Wrestling, on a Saturday afternoon. Horse racing. Greyhound racing. Motor sports (APART from F1) Rugby League, in the mud. Motorbike scrambling...in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    TV has really gone down the drain Arthur.
    , Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by graham48 View Post
    What happened to the VARIETY of sports we could once enjoy ?

Wrestling, on a Saturday afternoon. Horse racing. Greyhound racing. Motor sports (APART from F1) Rugby League, in the mud. Motorbike scrambling...in the mud.
    True ... !

I mean ... ... without begrudging enthusiasts their regular dose of excitement, surely IMPORTANT televised sporting activities could, perhaps, be more evenly dispensed.

Respected Member
    I don't generally watch sports, my one exception is the Grand National, which, I note, is coming up in three weeks time.

Several years ago we were in a packed Irish pub in Kuala Lumpur. Just as we were being served, the Grand National started on the big television screen behind the bar so we had a front "seat", standing where we were at the bar. Don't know whether there is horse racing in the Philippines, Julie could not understand what was going on, but it was an awesome rowdy experience.

Watched the Grand National on my laptop a few times since, there is no atmosphere watching it at home, it needs the excitement of a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
    I don't generally watch sports, my one exception is the Grand National, which, I note, is coming up in three weeks time.

Several years ago we were in a packed Irish pub in Kuala Lumpur. Just as we were being served, the Grand National started on the big television screen behind the bar so we had a front "seat", standing where we were at the bar. Don't know whether there is horse racing in the Philippines, Julie could not understand what was going on, but it was an awesome rowdy experience.

Watched the Grand National on my laptop a few times since, there is no atmosphere watching it at home, it needs the excitement of a bar.
    Mmm ... therein the difference lies; ^ being part of a crowd watching ANY performance tends to lend that bit extra excitement to the proceedings (sporting or otherwise). Whereas, viewing the action on one's own at home can be pretty boring, due to a lack of atmosphere.

Trusted Member
    I only once went to a 'live' professional wrestling night.

It was one of the most enjoyable and entertaining nights out I've ever had. The audience participation (much screaming and shouting) was totally addictive, and a great stress reliever, I'm sure. The wrestling was good too. lol

Arthur you don't need that BS anymore due to being able to stream what you want when you want nowadays.

There are thousands of programs and other interesting content to watch on free apps such as YouTube and Freeview Plus.

Freeview Plus, for instance has the usual five channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and C5) plus channels like CBS Reality and STV.......yeah that's Scottish TV and I believe you can watch every episode of your fellow Glaswegian, Taggart, from the show's conception back in .....um.....was it 1983?

Do you have a smart TV Arthur?

Talking of Smart TV's I've just bought one. I've got one currently in the bedroom but the living room telly is over ten years old and needs upgrading really. The time also coincides with nearly a year of giving up on the fags (April 8th to be precise) so I reckon I should treat myself with all those bucks saved

It's a real good deal I've got.....50" JVC Fire TV Smart 4k Ultra HD with Alexa and Freeview plus it comes with the option of adding a Roku Premiere Streaming Media Player worth £29.99 for £10 although I got it for free . The TV has been reduced by £100 too. Total cost £329 from Currys. Get in !

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... I have just noticed that, from mid-day on Saturday - until late in the evening - the selected line up of programmes predominating our main television channel consist of Live Coverage of the Six Nations Rugby League toutnament, in addition to play-backs of the day's soccer highlights on Match of the Day ... the *results of which are already being broadcast on interspersed news bulletins as soon as *they're available.

And this is what non~sports fans are paying a hefty TV licence for!

Can tell you're not a sports fan Arthur, the Six Nations is Rugby Union not League

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Arthur you don't need that BS anymore due to being able to stream what you want when you want nowadays.
    Never tried streaming ...

There are thousands of programs and other interesting content to watch on free apps such as YouTube and Freeview Plus.
    ... daresay there ARE, notably via the sources you've mentioned below: But prefer using iplayer to catch up whenever necessary.

Freeview Plus, for instance has the usual five channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and C5) plus channels like CBS Reality and STV.......yeah that's Scottish TV and I believe you can watch every episode of your fellow Glaswegian, Taggart, from the show's conception back in .....um.....was it 1983?
    Do you have a smart TV Arthur?
    Unsure what a 'Smart' TV is, Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Can tell you're not a sports fan Arthur, the Six Nations is Rugby Union not League
    ..................... ... 'fraid not.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

...................................................... Ah well, just shows ... nobody's too old to learn something new, Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I only once went to a 'live' professional wrestling night.

It was one of the most enjoyable and entertaining nights out I've ever had. The audience participation (much screaming and shouting) was totally addictive, and a great stress reliever, I'm sure. The wrestling was good too. lol
    Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Never tried streaming ...

... daresay there ARE, notably via the sources you've mentioned below: But prefer using iplayer to catch up whenever necessary.

Unsure what a 'Smart' TV is, Jamie.
    With a Smart TV you can stream programs & browse the web etc..

You can still do all this with a non Smart TV but you would need another piece of a kit such as a playstation to enable this.

Trusted Member
    Yes jonnijon ! Amongst others.

My favourite was Les Kellett. Hilarious.

Thread Information