Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Angry 'ideal' Gas Boiler Turns Out To Be ANYTHING BUT Ideal!

Installed 27/11/2019 as a package deal for Scottish pensioners who were homeowners, the work had been contracted out to Pendno, Ltd., a firm of heating engineers based on one of Glasgow's Industrial Estates.

Yesterday afternoon, the appliance went "on the blink" during, by far, one of the most bitterly cold Februarys Myrna has ever experienced since coming to the UK, almost twelve years' ago!

Luckily
    the boiler was still well~within its 2-year warranty cover, so I immediately phoned the installers. Only to find myself greeted by an answering machine. Fair dos ... ... I did receive a call back less than half an hour later.

Talk about "passing the buck", though ... the guy to whom I spoke informed me his company's liability ended once the job was finished, and I'd need to get in touch with the *manufacturers direct, as they - and *they alone - would have to carry out any repairs, otherwise the guarantee would be invalidated.

NOT A LOT
    of help
    - especially since the manufacturers were located somewhere in England - and I ended up wrangling with this second guy, who, in spite of my reading out the information including the appliance serial number and other relevant minutae on the Comnmissioning Checklist, insisted he was unable to trace any warranty completed in my name.

... finally, in desperation, I phoned my son at work after making arrangements with the first chap to call back at six in the evening in order to guide Alastair through the process of (hopefully) fixing the problem, as he has the technical know-how in which I'm sadly lacking. Therefore at least the boiler's working again for now, thank God!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Well done Arthur,

Respected Member
    My Mum needed air bleeding from her central heating radiators last week, she is unable to use the bleeding key herself.

She phoned the chap who last carried out her boiler service, he visited the same day, bled all her radiators and replaced a couple of plastic covers.

No charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
    My Mum needed air bleeding from her central heating radiators last week, she is unable to use the bleeding key herself.
    ... 'fraid that's something I haven't done (wouldn't know how) nor have I ever been given a key for the purpose.

She phoned the chap who last carried out her boiler service, he visited the same day, bled all her radiators and replaced a couple of plastic covers.
    Surely that's how it should be ... ... if your mum's appliance is within its guarantee period.

No charge.
    Likewise ^ the same ought to apply, as part of the service agreement.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Surely that's how it should be ... ... if your mum's appliance is within its guarantee period.
    It's donkey's years old, well outside any guarantee period.

Just a nice courtesy visit, looking after an elderly customer.

It's donkey's years old, well outside any guarantee period.

Just a nice courtesy visit, looking after an elderly customer.
    Rightly so ... tho' the fact I'm elderly - on top of having a malfunctioning, (almost new) heating system - didn't earn me any special favours.

Thread Information