Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Coronavirus in the Philippines

Not sure if a lot of you guys on here read my posts voicing my concerns about my travelling itinerary going to the Philippines in early March. I travelling through Hong Kong which was only open to filipinos and residency card holders. I was the only foreign guy on the flight from Hong Kong to Manila. I was getting a few looks on the flight and had a full row to myself.

Just got back after spending 2 months in the Philippines.
    After being there and living there for the last few month i do think that it is going to get worse there. People are not social distancing and there was an alcohol ban where i live, 50k south of Cebu city, but it could be had. Bootlegging it was just another way for the locals to make more money. I could get anything thing i wanted for a price and there was enough food round to feed everyone. The crates of beer were just double the price.
    The resort next to me had music, drinking and gathering every night. None of the locals were going to complain and life was just normal there.

I must add that there was no cases of the virus at all where i was and there was checkpoints on the roads but this was more to stop people coming in as i would go to the shops with a quarantine pass around my neck and never got stopped or questioned.

Think i picked a good time to return as the virus cases in Cebu city was just starting to increase. There was always a lot of cases there but they were just not testing people. All commercial flights out of Manila ave only just been stopped. There was Qatar, Korean Air and Gulf Air still operating and flying to the UK up until 2 days ago.

Do not think i will be able to get back there this year the way it is there now. We just locked the house up and turned the water off. The wives mother will pop round to check it is ok when she can. We have a house in a sub division so there is no chance or squatters or break-ins.

If i had my choice i would have stayed there longer and i did not really want to return to the UK. We are all different and myself, i can not wait until i can retire and just live there in our house by the beach in the sub-division. 5 more years to go as long as nothing major happens, like world War 3

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Hi Rory, I booked with Singapore air Manchester to Manila in January my flight is Nov29 just keep fingers crossed. If I have to wait an extra six months so be it. Looking forward to residing in Dumaguete or maybe elsewhere.

Been very strict where we are..Still no cases here as of yet but I have noticed that rules are starting to relax a little since our category of quarantine has changed to low risk.

Very strict here in Tagum, there was nine cases of virus but now there is none and only one death. Curfew 6pm to 6am guards on every road junction. I have been locked down for five weeks now and there is another ten days yet before possible unlock.

Cebu city is in ECQ and the provinces are in GCQ. Cases in Cebu are still rising.

Have a friend that has had his flight cancelled and rescheduled for July 2nd but that can always be extended again.

Trusted Member
    800 people have died out of 110 million. Most of those in Manila. Economy wrecked. No jobs. People starving. No school. Over 60s and under 21s locked up. 15,000 a year die from TB. Where's the panic over that ?

It's a bad joke.

Local government don't want it eased too much, because they're making lots of money...into their back pockets.

Really sounds like they are either hiding something or going way over the top with preventitive actions. It will all come out in the wash.

Thread Information