Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Non-Immigration Visa. Apply in UK or apply in Philippines?

Hello everyone.

I am planning to spend 3 months in the Philippines starting December 2019.

I'm retired. I've been to the Philippines 3 times as a tourist.

Is it better to apply for a 3 months non-immigration visa while I'm still at home in the UK, or should I just go to the Philippines and get the basic 30 days extended once I am there?

Advice would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    Hello everyone.

Is it better to apply for a 3 months non-immigration visa while I'm still at home in the UK, or should I just go to the Philippines and get the basic 30 days extended once I am there?

Advice would be much appreciated
    I think its just a matter of choice, for me i would just go the 30 days then extend, on the other hand if its sorted in uk then you will have no interuption to your stay while here

Trusted Member
    Convenience really.

When in the UK, I live in York, which is an expensive 400 mile round trip to the Phils embassy in London,
    as I am not willing to put my passport in the post to them.

Hence, I (when not using my Balikbayan one year stay privilege) either ask for the 29 day extension when arriving at NAIA, Manila, or just go along to my nearest Immigration office at a later date.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    When I went to Philippines to live I called Philippine embassy London and they told me what was required for a 59 day visa, posted everything on a friday and everything was recieved the tuesday after (only three working days) I was amazed how quick they responded. the visa covered me from when I had done my 21 days then continued for another 59 days, after that I extended at Dumaguete immigration office from then on.

Isn't the next step up from the 59 day visa the 6 month visa? I hear it's a pain in the backside to get and it's quite thorough.

Anyway, how does the 59 day extension work if you're planning on getting it while you're in the Philippines? I mean, to get the automatic 30 day visa on arrival you need proof of onward travel!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    Hello everyone.

Yeah, it's probably best to "test the waters" for a few months like you're planning to do. I remember Michael saying to me that a holiday in the Philippines is a lot different to actually living there.

Healthcare is another key component to be wary of if you end up in the Phils permanently.

What part of the country are you going to?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Isn't the next step up from the 59 day visa the 6 month visa? I hear it's a pain in the backside to get and it's quite thorough.

Anyway, how does the 59 day extension work if you're planning on getting it while you're in the Philippines? I mean, to get the automatic 30 day visa on arrival you need proof of onward travel!
    I was never asked of proof of onward travel, I was asked why I was there and I said I planned to marry my then girlfriend. I did have my return ticket only because it was cheaper than one way but was never asked for it.

Flexible ticket

Trusted Member
    Just buy a return ticket, or one where you will be flying out to somewhere other than your home country (ie...an onward ticket).

It is perfectly fine for the departure (from the Phils) date of such tickets to be more than 30...or 59 days after your arrival in the Phils. As long as you have a ticket OUT, that's the only concern of Immigration.

Then just extend your 30 days visa waiver by another 29 days at the nearest Immigration Office, a week or two after you arrive in the Phils. You may also ask to do this at NAIA terminal 1, before going through Arrivals Immigration...IF that's where you're landing.

Most airlines will not let you fly from the UK unless you have a return or onward ticket, as it is they get a massive fine. Singapore Air asked me for a ticket at Heathrow. Just got 30 days at the airport and in that time made the arrangements for the wedding. After 28 days went to immigration office and extended to 59 days and in that time got married. Then went to immigration again to apply for 13A visa to become permanant resident.

Thread Information