Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Applying for pension and which courier to use advice

Hi all, I have been in process of filling out my claim for UK state pension, and am sending documents with it such as birth certificate and marriage certificate plus some tax and NI documents,

Previously i sent a tax refund letter to Ireland using registered post with Philpost it got there ok though i was unable to track it completly to the end destination,

this is 1 choice, my other choice is DHL but is see the only DHL here is WWWExpress / DHL Malaybalay

it having the WWWExpress before the DHL,

is this the DHL we know in UK ?

Anyone had experience with either of these, for sending documents to UK, could you tell me what you think would be best, any advice appreciated

Trusted Member
    I sent a letter via registered Phils post to the UK Pensions people a few months back....and it got there ok.

If these are original docs you're sending, I'd be inclined to use a service such as DHL though, which I believe is the same DHL as in UK.

Anyway, others will advise also. Good luck mate. Make good copies of all your British docs, regardless.

The UK Pensions people are VERY helpful on their helpline too. (I use Skype (just phone, not cam) to phone them... costs me nowt).

Thanks Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I sent a letter via registered Phils post to the UK Pensions people a few months back....and it got there ok.

If these are original docs you're sending, I'd be inclined to use a service such as DHL though, which I believe is the same DHL as in UK.

Anyway, others will advise also. Good luck mate. Make good copies of all your British docs, regardless.

The UK Pensions people are VERY helpful on their helpline too. (I use Skype (just phone, not cam) to phone them... costs me nowt).
    I use skype for calls, but I have an account. How do you get the free calls Graham?

I've used EMS (tracked and express) with Philpost and had no major issues except for the long time it takes to get into Manila and forwarded on to UK
    As I recall the costs here in Marikina are the same for Philpost and DHL. I do use DHL if I need the post to reach UK with 7 days.

The UK pensions folks are very helpful. I also use Skype to call them.

Your pension claim will be no problem I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I've used EMS (tracked and express) with Philpost and had no major issues except for the long time it takes to get into Manila and forwarded on to UK
    As I recall the costs here in Marikina are the same for Philpost and DHL. I do use DHL if I need the post to reach UK with 7 days.

The UK pensions folks are very helpful. I also use Skype to call them.

Your pension claim will be no problem I'm sure
    Thanks Peter

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    I use skype for calls, but I have an account. How do you get the free calls Graham?
    I may have accidentally used 'poetic licence' there.

I have an account also (only £2.70 a month by direct debit) I forget which number types it covers. I think the pension one is covered by it.

FREEPHONE numbers 0800, etc, are normally free anyway, on Skype... so ideal for calling places like bank helplines.

The correct STATE PENSION helpline number (the one that I used a few times thru Skype) is:

+44 191 218 7777 ... if calling from the Phils.

Have your NI number to hand. That is the key to all govt. benefit agencies.

They will also ask you some simple security questions.

I can recommend getting the very cheap account with Skype for phoning UK land line numbers.

It can be cancelled at any time, but means you can relax while all the stupid music and minutes on end of waiting inevitably happen. Call quality for me was excellent.

on my pension application i am applying to have my pension paid into a BDO Philippine bank , how does it go with the fact that Philippine banks don't have the IBAN ?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I just let my pension remain in my UK bank and transfered how ever much I required each month, thus building up my UK account

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    on my pension application i am applying to have my pension paid into a BDO Philippine bank , how does it go with the fact that Philippine banks don't have the IBAN ?
    I tried that a couple of months ago (with BDO).

My advice... DON'T... if you have a UK bank.

My pension payment was returned by (useless) BDO.

I have now returned to having my State Pension paid into my reliable existing UK bank, and simply transferring money into the BDO account myself, using Worldremit... for about five quid.

I tried that a couple of months ago (with BDO).

My advice... DON'T... if you have a UK bank.

My pension payment was returned by (useless) BDO.

I have now returned to having my State Pension paid into my reliable existing UK bank, and simply transferring money into the BDO account myself, using Worldremit... for about five quid.
    i thought in the end having it paid in a bank here would be less hastle, especialy if i got sick and ended up in hospital then Lolita can get to the money easily , she isn't computer literate , Worldremit i have got it stuck in Ireland, as i need proof of address ect for UK in order to change it back to UK,so that one is useless to me now,though i do still have PNB europe , they have been good, but it has been proved very hard to get card numbers changed with them when my bank issues new cards. what was the reason for BDO returning your payment, seems very odd

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I just let my pension remain in my UK bank and transfered how ever much I required each month, thus building up my UK account
    Thanks for your input Michael

Trusted Member
    i thought in the end having it paid in a bank here would be less hastle, especialy if i got sick and ended up in hospital then Lolita can get to the money easily , she isn't computer literate , Worldremit i have got it stuck in Ireland, as i need proof of address ect for UK in order to change it back to UK,so that one is useless to me now,though i do still have PNB europe , they have been good, but it has been proved very hard to get card numbers changed with them when my bank issues new cards. what was the reason for BDO returning your payment, seems very odd
    I still use our (well, wife's) BDO account here. I just don't have my UK pension paid into it, because from my recent experience they are not reliable for direct bank to bank payments. If they don't understand it, it gets returned.

However, with REMITTANCES (in my case , sent by myself to BDO, using Worldremit, but plenty of alternatives), the money has been credited to BDO with no problem, and quickly. We then use the BDO Debit card to withdraw funds.

I still use our (well, wife's) BDO account here. I just don't have my UK pension paid into it, because from my recent experience they are not reliable for direct bank to bank payments. If they don't understand it, it gets returned.

However, with REMITTANCES (in my case , sent by myself to BDO, using Worldremit, but plenty of alternatives), the money has been credited to BDO with no problem, and quickly. We then use the BDO Debit card to withdraw funds.
    one good thing at least it got returned, better than getting electronically lost, hopefully its just you or very few this has happened to for my comfort i hope so, but sorry it happened to you of course, i think i need to give it a try for the reason that it would be more convenient should i be unable to do a remit myself, I was going to use my PNB account for this, But i was under the impression that BDO are more experienced in this

Trusted Member
    You have been warned.

You might think about HSBC here......I'm not a fan of HSBC but they are present here in Philippines.

Stuart, I believe that our member Jonnijon has his UK pension paid into a bank here. He lives in Tagum.
    I can't remember which bank.

Stuart, I believe that our member Jonnijon has his UK pension paid into a bank here. He lives in Tagum.
    Thanks Peter,

well its all sent away now. so lets see how it goes with BDO providing my pension application goes without an humps, 2 months processing it says.

well i posted with DHL cost 2,900 peso, but tracking was second to none, and wow super fast delivery posted after lunch Tuesday 14th it was delivered and signed for today Friday 17th at 10. 30 am, 3 days great

Thanks Peter,

well its all sent away now. so lets see how it goes with BDO providing my pension application goes without an humps, 2 months processing it says.

well i posted with DHL cost 2,900 peso, but tracking was second to none, and wow super fast delivery posted after lunch Tuesday 14th it was delivered and signed for today Friday 17th at 10. 30 am, 3 days great
    That's DHL...
    As I said I have used EMS/Philpost without too much trouble but it just takes much longer. Pricewise there's nothing to choose between them.

If you have family in the UK maybe they could open a UK account for you and give you the electronic access.
    That way you could benefit from using Worldremit and be in best control of when and where you collect your money. These days the exchange rate is so volatile its good to pick when and where

Good luck Stuart..

That's DHL...
    As I said I have used EMS/Philpost without too much trouble but it just takes much longer. Pricewise there's nothing to choose between them.

If you have family in the UK maybe they could open a UK account for you and give you the electronic access.
    That way you could benefit from using Worldremit and be in best control of when and where you collect your money. These days the exchange rate is so volatile its good to pick when and where

Good luck Stuart..
    Thanks Peter,
    Good point there though I do have 2 UK bank accounts and my eldest Daughter has Acting Power of Attorney so she can if needed already act on my behalf, but im thinking in my preference it would be easier if Lolita was able to easily withdraw here should i become ill or any emergency where i am unable to access money quickly, without delays of contacting my Daughter

ps , just twigged you meant family in UK to open a world remit account

BPI Bank of the Philippine Islands. I used to have my pension paid to HSBC in the UK but they closed my account because I have no UK address.

Trusted Member
    I'd like to see them close my UK account while I have a bank loan and credit card with them. (Call it 'insurance') .

BPI Bank of the Philippine Islands. I used to have my pension paid to HSBC in the UK but they closed my account because I have no UK address.
    a success for pension to Philippine bank for you,

I'd like to see them close my UK account while I have a bank loan and credit card with them. (Call it 'insurance') .

Thanks Peter,
    Good point there though I do have 2 UK bank accounts and my eldest Daughter has Acting Power of Attorney so she can if needed already act on my behalf, but im thinking in my preference it would be easier if Lolita was able to easily withdraw here should i become ill or any emergency where i am unable to access money quickly, without delays of contacting my Daughter

ps , just twigged you meant family in UK to open a world remit account
    Stuart, did you sort out pension and pension payments?
    I may need to switch to Philippine Bank for one of my pensions and just wondered if you have some news?

Trusted Member
    It would be useful to know specifically what type of bank account is able to be used in the Phils also, for successfully receiving a UK State Pension payment ...as well as the actual name of the bank.

I use a basic savings account with BPI. It's a joint account set up years ago before I was resident here. No problems with pension payments from the UK.

Stuart, did you sort out pension and pension payments?
    I may need to switch to Philippine Bank for one of my pensions and just wondered if you have some news?
    iv not heard from pensions yet, i did get a txt message from them to let me know when they received my claim.

before i applied i saw that it takes approx 3 months to process, it has just gone the 3 month mark yesterday, so i expect to hear something soon

I use a basic savings account with BPI. It's a joint account set up years ago before I was resident here. No problems with pension payments from the UK.
    Thank you jonnijon, that's great info
    I have a BPI account account already but not used for around 2 years
    I will make a visit and check out
    Thanks again friend

iv not heard from pensions yet, i did get a txt message from them to let me know when they received my claim.

before i applied i saw that it takes approx 3 months to process, it has just gone the 3 month mark yesterday, so i expect to hear something soon
    Thank you Stuart.
    I will be most interested to learn from you.

My wife has a BDO account but haven't tried to remit bank to bank.
    I always do a cash pick at BDO.....well unless they are 'off-line'.....then I can try Palawan Express ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information