Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Passport renewal form - divorced

My wife is divorced from her Filipino husband and needs to renew her passport. On the form it asks for her husband's name but we are not sure which name to put since the divorce is not recognised as valid (no annulment). We live in UK but do visit PHL. Should she give her ex's name? I see on the form under Civil Status that Divorce is listed as an option but I'm concerned about problems in Philippine law when we are there as our marriage would be considered bigamous. Does anyone have any advice?

You saying she divorced him from the UK?
    I must admit,it does sound like a tricky situation as I assume her UK visa is in her old married name in her old passport..
    With stuff like this I`d advise you ring HMPO and ask them the question for their guidance.. They may not know immediately as the R.P is about the only country on earth except for the Vatican that does not recognize divorce..Im pretty damned sure that the Philippine embassy would not issue a passport in her new married name because as you say,they would see it as a bigamous relationship.
    I for one would be very interested in what the HMPO say about it... One thing I do know is that if she was a Dual national and had two passports,BOTH documents must have EXACTLY the same name.
    Anyway..Good question!

What sort of visa does she have for the UK and how long has she resided there? What exactly is her visa status now?

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    She has had an ILR for 4 years and could apply for British passport. Her Philippine passport (nearly expired) has her old married name and that's the one on her Biometric card also. Her 2 sons are here also on ILRs. I'm not expecting the name on her Phil. passport to change, it's just whether it is OK to give my name as her husband on the form, or to give her ex's.

Thread Information