Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owners permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Nochex Donate
Donate Now Target 30, So far 0 (0%)

Overhaul of home entertainment probable

The situation as it stands.

Eight-year-old 40" Hitachi TV.
    Internet & TV package roughly 60 p/m with Virgin.

Nothing wrong with the TV apart from it freezes now and again meaning I have to switch channels to resume watching the same program.

It's not a SMART TV though which is what I want. Why? For a couple of reasons. I want to watch stuff from the internet on a bigger screen and save money by ditching the Virgin package and replacing it with internet only for around 20 p/m, plus TVPlayer which is totally separate and costs either 5.99 a month with no contract or 60 for the year.

OK, TVPlayer does contain Freeview channels which are readily available on modern TV's anyway but 37 other channels too. They include Discovery and Investigation Discovery which I already have and watch regularly, and also the Nat Geo channels and Crime Investigation which I don't currently have.

https://tvplayer.com/

The Virgin package contains over 100 channels I think including Freeview but I only watch about half a dozen which doesn't warrant me forking out 60 per month. No wonder Branson can afford his own islands. On top of that, the programs are being forever repeated. At least paying 6 a month with TVPlayer it's much more palatable and there isn't a contract.

I'll keep the old TV for the bedroom and purchase a video sender from Malaysia for around 25 bucks that has a range of 200 metres (just to be safe). Better and cheaper than Maplins. With the video sender I'll be able to watch and switch these channels in bed.

As for a new TV I'm looking to pay around 300. Saw a Toshiba 55" 1080 HD SMART telly today reduced by 25% to 329. Good job I checked the reviews as it has a common fault. It turns itself off all the time. One buyer had four replacements before calling it a day. Time to jog on I reckon. I'm happy with another 40" TV though.
    <<<< Me at the Taal Volcano in Tagaytay (November 2013). On this particularly visit to Pinas I arrived in Manila the day after Typhoon Yolanda wreaked havoc further south.

43" LG model 43LJ594V tops my shortlist now. Has excellent reviews and everything I want. Just under 300 but I may be able to get it slightly cheaper at 280.

https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/t...594v--p4310254
    <<<< Me at the Taal Volcano in Tagaytay (November 2013). On this particularly visit to Pinas I arrived in Manila the day after Typhoon Yolanda wreaked havoc further south.

I have a 43" LG smart TV in the bedroom, may even be that model, can't remember.

However one thing I didnt realise is you can't download apps from play store as only some smart tv's are compatible with Android apps. So if you want a good selection of apps make sure you buy one that is compatible with play store, I don't think any LG ones are.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    I have a 43" LG smart TV in the bedroom, may even be that model, can't remember.

However one thing I didnt realise is you can't download apps from play store as only some smart tv's are compatible with Android apps. So if you want a good selection of apps make sure you buy one that is compatible with play store, I don't think any LG ones are.
    Most of the brands I've seen are Android based. Not really bothered about apps so much so long as the TV has YouTube.

I just view Youtube on my big TV using my Xbox, which has internet connection to my broadband.

Perfect picture. No buffering.

The Xbox is also wi-fi/bluetooth enabled, so I can either use that to communicate stuff to the TV from my android tablet/phone... or use a wired HDMI connection if preferred, either though the Xbox, or direct into the (Samsung non-smart) 42" TV.

I have opted out (officially) of having a TV licence, since there is enough on YouTube alone, to last me several lifetimes.

6. -

Thread Information