Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Furnishing house in Philippines

Anyone got any ideas/tips on furnishing our newly built house in Philippines? Going on what I've been told, furniture is quite expensive there. Is it a case of letting the other half do the buying and I stay well clear? .

We also need to buy a/c units. Again, I'm clueless as to what to look for. Maybe members of the forum have been through this already and can give me some advice on what/where to buy and what to avoid ..

The house is in Battan, Luzon
    M&M

Aircon, get a split unit, far cheaper to run Phillips or Carrier. Western style funiture is very expensive, the rest is Chinese crap.

Aircon is what it is. You might find a local place but for that keep out of sight or even your wife will be asked for more. If you have a local Mall you might find a few larger shops selling them and the prices are all marked so no foreigner price. I don't have split units as initially they are more expensive, but they are rated for the size of the room so this can be a guide for you. Make sure though, that when you have them fitted and in use, 'people' understand that doors stay closed and windows closed or you will just be wasting your money on electric.

Furniture can be locally bought if you want more traditional Philippine dark wood style, but again keep out of sight. Mostly traditional seats are flat and hard, so invest in some nice cushions. As Jon said western furniture can be bought, but is not great quality. I bought some a few years back and the cushions were so soft that they didn't last. I finally bought some good bed sponge from a local dealer and had it all re-seated. Now it's ok.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Aircon, get a split unit, far cheaper to run Phillips or Carrier. Western style funiture is very expensive, the rest is Chinese crap.
    Thanks Jonnijon,thats the a/c sorted
    M&M

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Aircon is what it is. You might find a local place but for that keep out of sight or even your wife will be asked for more. If you have a local Mall you might find a few larger shops selling them and the prices are all marked so no foreigner price. I don't have split units as initially they are more expensive, but they are rated for the size of the room so this can be a guide for you. Make sure though, that when you have them fitted and in use, 'people' understand that doors stay closed and windows closed or you will just be wasting your money on electric.

Furniture can be locally bought if you want more traditional Philippine dark wood style, but again keep out of sight. Mostly traditional seats are flat and hard, so invest in some nice cushions. As Jon said western furniture can be bought, but is not great quality. I bought some a few years back and the cushions were so soft that they didn't last. I finally bought some good bed sponge from a local dealer and had it all re-seated. Now it's ok.
    Good bit of info Steve.r

Thought about buying it here and sending it over in a container but I don't really want the hassle and we do not need that much to start off with. We will just get the minimum to begin with and probably just add on bits whenever we go over there. We did not factor in the costs of furniture when the house was been built. Probably did not think it would cost so much.
    M&M

Bought some bedroom furniture off this site:

http://www.furnituremanila.com.ph/

Bought 6 seater sofa, Table and chairs and good quality mattress at SM Home. Fridge from SM Electrical shop.

Hoping to get Aircon and a few other bits sorted on next visit in March.

One more thing that springs to mind and this is for the kitchen, if you have an inside one. Be careful that whoever builds the cupboards and draws is really good. There is nothing worse than poorly made draws that don't slide, handles that pull off and the units that swing open every time you shut them.... yes experience talking.

For furniture too, just be aware that buying from a nice air-conditioned store is fine, but once the furniture reaches your home, where it can be hot and very humid, paint can peel, wood expands filler falls out and unless educated in living with nice furnishings, dirty feet can soon make your nice things look old.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    One more thing that springs to mind and this is for the kitchen, if you have an inside one. Be careful that whoever builds the cupboards and draws is really good. There is nothing worse than poorly made draws that don't slide, handles that pull off and the units that swing open every time you shut them.... yes experience talking.

For furniture too, just be aware that buying from a nice air-conditioned store is fine, but once the furniture reaches your home, where it can be hot and very humid, paint can peel, wood expands filler falls out and unless educated in living with nice furnishings, dirty feet can soon make your nice things look old.
    Good advice, I'm sure others will benefit from your advice

We very nearly shipped our fantastic leather lounge sweet here from the UK but thought I could get something here similar..
    BIG mistake!!
    Full of regret.

Thanks for the link bigmarco
    M&M

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    We very nearly shipped our fantastic leather lounge sweet here from the UK but thought I could get something here similar..
    BIG mistake!!
    Full of regret.
    Suprised to hear that Fred, you live and learn
    M&M

Cupboards are already in, only seen pics, hopefully they are ok!
    I can understand how furnishings can get grubby-looking from the heat.
    M&M

Quote Originally Posted by mike1 View Post
    Thought about buying it here and sending it over in a container but I don't really want the hassle
    I was at a shipping agents earlier today, a 20 foot container from India is going to cost me £1,600'ish, no hassle as it's handled at both ends. Might be worthwhile sending stuff over

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I was at a shipping agents earlier today, a 20 foot container from India is going to cost me £1,600'ish, no hassle as it's handled at both ends. Might be worthwhile sending stuff over
    That's not a bad price, how long does it take?
    M&M

I know from Hong Kong which is closer to the PI a container takes about 30 days to reach UK, either Tilbury or Southampton.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Wouldn't get any soft furnishings in respect to getting dirty quick. Lots of dirty bare feet go up on there, you see the black dirt on the bottom of their feet, from walking barefoot and the flip flops, and depending where you live, soft sofas 'n' chairs are a haven for rats, and termites eventually may get in the wood frame

Something I'd never think of , I suppose leather is the best option
    M&M

Something I'd never think of , I suppose leather is the best option
    Leather too can be susceptible to the humidity.

Suprised to hear that Fred, you live and learn
    The closest to it that I found in Cebu was (imported) around 180,000PHP...(not including delivery)
    Not as nice though and without a remote switch recliner.
    Locally we can get something almost acceptable (not leather) for around 60-100K..

We get really good quality stuff here made at our local furniture manufacturer to order..Prices are very reasonable..(like bed in second pic)

If you want cheap furniture I`d advise checking out the bamboo or Rattan furniture vendors.. 3 seater sofa bamboo(without cushions) only 3K!! Whole set below here in province around 10K without cushions.

The wardrobe below..We had 5 made for 4K each 3 years ago and they are still good!!
    There was an issue of flying termites with 2 of them but we managed to kill them with Mozzy spray.

Simple and good to look at, and of course, comfort is important

Lots to think about there
    M&M

Thread Information