Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

YouTube Video Footage Of Glasgow Corporation Transport Yesteryear

Friends ... I should very much like to share these memories of the *city of my birth, as I - and doubtless, Doc Alan, too - still fondly remember *it from its halcyon days of the 1950s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERN6xKuk6R8

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 6th November 2017 at 16:03. Reason: Title duly amended to *former Glasgow *CORPORATION as appropriate to period.

It would be remiss of me not to mention the famous Glasgow Subway - the 3rd oldest of its kind in the world - and, of course, 's only underground network outside London. Affectionately known by locals as 'The Clockwork Orange', the system has since been upgraded and fully modernised several times during its 120~years' history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-36125416 ...

Trusted Member
    Thank you Arthur !

I remember well Glasgow trolley buses and trams. Glasgow Corporation tramways came second only to London County Council in the number of tramcars operated, electric traction beginning in 1898. The last tram ran in 1962.

In Manila, the franchise for its first electric tramway went to the lone bidder, Manila Electric Railroad and Light Company ( better known by its acronym Meralco ). The first Meralco trams rolled out in 1905. There was room for 50 passengers per tram. Tickets were 12 centavos for first class and 10 for second class ( at the rear ).

The 1920s were Meralco's " golden age ". The trams were destroyed during the 1945 Battle of Manila. With the demise of " tranvias " ( Spanish for trams ), buses and jeepneys took over. Remember that Philippine vehicles drove on the left side of the road until 1945, when President Osmena signed an executive order directing motorists to drive on the right.

" Ang rare video ng tranvia sa Escolta street na papunta sa Plaza Goiti na ngayon ay Plaza Lacson " :-

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    It would be remiss of me not to mention the famous Glasgow Subway - the 3rd oldest of its kind in the world - and, of course, 's only underground network outside London. Affectionately known by locals as 'The Clockwork Orange', the system has since been upgraded and fully modernised several times during its 120~years' history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-36125416 ...
    So, folks ... for those who are interested ... ... there we have it! "Little" wonder then, as a Glaswegian, I'm proud of my roots.

Amazing!
    That nobody in that video was staggering all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Amazing!
    That nobody in that video was staggering all over the place.
    C'moan, Zhimmy ... wu'r no'~a' alkies uz yins' fae Glesca toon, y'ken!

Naw, hic~naw~hic~naw!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I remember the Trams and Trolley Buses from my early years of HGV driving Arthur, used to park up overnight in the Gorbals, came across lots of strange new life experiences in those days

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Thank you Arthur !

I remember well Glasgow trolley buses and trams. Glasgow Corporation tramways came second only to London County Council in the number of tramcars operated, electric traction beginning in 1898. The last tram ran in 1962.
    Alan ... I, in turn, appreciate your response, Amazingly, despite the fact it's approaching 65 years now since my Mum, Dad, my sole sibling Douglas and I "swapped" our fashionable red sandstone tenement flat in Glasgow's West End for rural Perthshire in January 1953, I'm still able to remember it ALL so vividly.

In Manila, the franchise for its first electric tramway went to the lone bidder, Manila Electric Railroad and Light Company ( better known by its acronym Meralco ). The first Meralco trams rolled out in 1905. There was room for 50 passengers per tram. Tickets were 12 centavos for first class and 10 for second class ( at the rear ).

The 1920s were Meralco's " golden age ". The trams were destroyed during the 1945 Battle of Manila. With the demise of " tranvias " ( Spanish for trams ), buses and jeepneys took over. Remember that Philippine vehicles drove on the left side of the road until 1945, when President Osmena signed an executive order directing motorists to drive on the right.

" Ang rare video ng tranvia sa Escolta street na papunta sa Plaza Goiti na ngayon ay Plaza Lacson " :-

GREAT find ^ Alan. Tbh ... ... I never before knew there'd been trams in the Philippines, ... electric ones especially! ... y'know, I'd not even been aware that pre~1945 Philippines' vehicles were driven on the left either.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I remember the Trams and Trolley Buses from my early years of HGV driving Arthur, used to park up overnight in the Gorbals, came across lots of strange new life experiences in those days
    You would do, Michael ... Glasgow, I think it's fair to say, was rather unique among UK cities in its variety of transport in these days, with trolley buses remaining in service for a few years after the trams had gone.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Thank you Arthur !

Good post Alan, interesting indeed

Thread Information