Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had enough

Had enough

Enough of family, that is. House is on the market and we are moving to another town to get some peace.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Enough of family, that is. House is on the market and we are moving to another town to get some peace.
    Will they be able to visit you on a motorbike or a tricycle?

A plane flight away should do it.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

1 island down, 7000 odd more to go

Utang na loob is a one-way street

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Another town or Island

Trusted Member
    Common problem unfortunately.

We're geographically close to family too, but it is a well-publicised fact that I have less money than most of them. ... and they've been really good to me, with zero expectations it seems.

So far so good, but always on my guard of course.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder, not absence.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Distance makes the heart grow fonder, not absence.
    ... although we're fortunate, in that ... ... Myrna's relatives are self~sufficient!

Just going to move about an hour and half drive away, just far enough to stop them walking in and out like they own the place. They live on a plot a few yards behind us and I have always supplied them with water and current for the grand price of 300 pesos per month and they do not even pay that anymore. None of them can keep a job, got one of them set up with a security job, training, uniform, he got sacked for skiving off. Made the down payment for another for a motor bike so he could go and earn enough to put food on the table, he slept all day so the motor was taken back. So they can now go and screw themselves!

My nephew is involved with a family like that, think whitey owes them a living, good luck on your escape

There was a debate on Sky-TV earlier, how long should children rely on the bank of mum-and-dad once they become "independent". I would like to see a similar debate on how long should dysfunctional bone-idle Filipino families rely on the bank of whitey once he becomes part of the "family".

Trusted Member
    They get f all from me... except lots of smiles.

Yorkshireman through and through.

To be fair, nobody has yet asked (in 5 years)... and my sweet Mrs would protect me from such behaviour anyway.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    They get f all from me... except lots of smiles.

Yorkshireman through and through.

To be fair, nobody has yet asked (in 5 years)... and my sweet Mrs would protect me from such behaviour anyway.
    Good on ya!

I will have the greatest pleasure on the day we move disconnecting their current and water. It may be a while before we move because I am asking top dollar for the house. I worked 100 hours a week in the UK to get the money to build it, so I want some return. Land here has gone up to 1000 per sq. Signs are up "direct buyer only" so the family know the threat is real.

Trusted Member
    Good luck mate. Hang on in there.

The Mrs informs me that our land has quadrupled in value during the past 18 months too.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Good luck mate. Hang on in there.

The Mrs informs me that our land has quadrupled in value during the past 18 months too.

Mr.Graham Trump!
    How the other half live..

Trusted Member
    I wish.

A tip from a guy from another forum who married a Pinay.

"To get away from the family move to Thailand"

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    A tip from a guy from another forum who married a Pinay.

"To get away from the family move to Thailand"
    Funny you should mention that. My nephew is half Thai/British, and has a Thai passport. His girlfriend had a child in April of this year in Cebu. Nightmare, heavily-tatto'd, Pinay mother in law is a leech. Anyway, it is the child's first birthday party in April.....................................In Thailand, . I will be there. Apparently the Pinoy side of the family are trying to exert pressure, as they want a big party in Cebu with lechon, a venue etc.............................But won't shell out a peso as usual.

Nightmare, heavily-tatto'd, Pinay mother in law is a leech.
    Having a decent Filipina family is as just important as having a decent Pinay wife, is it not? Didn't you teach your nephew anything?

My nephew went for someone who is incredibly good looking but also not that smart. At least his girlfriend looks good on his arm,a real head-turner, but her family will be a rock around his neck for a long time to come

My nephew went for someone who is incredibly good looking but also not that smart. At least his girlfriend looks good on his arm,a real head-turner, but her family will be a rock around his neck for a long time to come
    The better looking women normally come with a price whether they're Filipina or British. That's the nature of the beast.

Did he have to stump up for his mother-in-laws tattoo's?

Nope, her legs were already heavily tattoo'd when my nephew met her daughter in fairness he spent maybe 10 months or a year there studying, met loads of women, but he is in his early 20s and didn't think beyond his libido. Most guys who go there for just a woman in their 40s-50s-60s are exactly the same, they do no real research on their woman's families, I mean real research not just saying "Hi" a couple of times online or spending 2 weeks over there on holiday when the family try to be on their best behaviour.My criteria for a woman is always a very good education. If a family can afford to send their daughter to a top uni for a good degree they aren't going to pressure her every week to send them cash for the rest of their lives

Nope, her legs were already heavily tattoo'd when my nephew met her daughter in fairness he spent maybe 10 months or a year there studying, met loads of women, but he is in his early 20s and didn't think beyond his libido. Most guys who go there for just a woman in their 40s-50s-60s are exactly the same, they do no real research on their woman's families, I mean real research not just saying "Hi" a couple of times online or spending 2 weeks over there on holiday when the family try to be on their best behaviour. My criteria for a woman is always a very good education. If a family can afford to send their daughter to a top uni for a good degree they aren't going to pressure her every week to send them cash for the rest of their lives
    That's a pretty sound formula Tawi..

Worked for me. Always been attracted to women with brains, and it's true if a family are going to shell out cash for a very good uni education they aren't the sort of brain-deads who think money grows on trees abroad and their daughters one sole duty is to send it back to the PI as fast as she can once she is in the lands of milk and honey. My nephew's girlfriend's brother is 7 years old and doesn't go to school. Guess who will most probably end up being expected to pay for his brood if/when he eventually has a family.

Nope, her legs were already heavily tattoo'd when my nephew met her daughter in fairness he spent maybe 10 months or a year there studying, met loads of women, but he is in his early 20s and didn't think beyond his libido. Most guys who go there for just a woman in their 40s-50s-60s are exactly the same, they do no real research on their woman's families, I mean real research not just saying "Hi" a couple of times online or spending 2 weeks over there on holiday when the family try to be on their best behaviour. My criteria for a woman is always a very good education. If a family can afford to send their daughter to a top uni for a good degree they aren't going to pressure her every week to send them cash for the rest of their lives
    I've heard this formula bandied about quite a bit but it's not foolproof by any means. That girl I met with film star looks in Davao had a good education and a top job in one of the major banks in Pinas but....erm....the less said about her the better.

I don't think you can properly gauge the family either but to just get a rough idea. People can be absolutely fine up to a point and this applies to all social classes and not just in the Phils, but when money is brought into the equation folk can change in an instant.

Best way to deal with the Pinoy family IMO is to explain from the off concerning money. No and never if you get my drift. How many in a clan? Quite a few usually and sods law tells us there's always one. Even if the family does have money what's stopping them asking you for more? Folk get greedy - and they also get into debt too. Lots of it in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    I've heard this formula bandied about quite a bit but it's not foolproof by any means. That girl I met with film star looks in Davao had a good education and a top job in one of the major banks in Pinas but....erm....the less said about her the better.

I don't think you can properly gauge the family either but to just get a rough idea. People can be absolutely fine up to a point and this applies to all social classes and not just in the Phils, but when money is brought into the equation folk can change in an instant.

Best way to deal with the Pinoy family IMO is to explain from the off concerning money. No and never if you get my drift. How many in a clan? Quite a few usually and sods law tells us there's always one. Even if the family does have money what's stopping them asking you for more? Folk get greedy - and they also get into debt too. Lots of it in some cases.
    I had never heard that formula bandied around once to be honest. It was just something I formed a conclusion on through experience, and real-world experience always trumped forum or google vicarious. My woman's got a very well paid job, in charge of a lot of people and world bank money. Never once asked me for a penny, not once. As for moneyed families, my son's Pinoy side of the family are very well known in Davao because of their business. They have a lot of investments. Once again, never once asked me for money. Like I said, works for me. Also, not all dirt poor families will ask for cash, lots are decent people, but there is more chance, and there's always someone in the family, however distant a relative, who will crawl out of the woodwork with "problems". Education is always the cure for poverty,and poverty is what motivates them to ask for money,hence my reasoning that if a family have invested heavily in education they aren't likely to ask for handouts from westerners.

I had never heard that formula bandied around once to be honest. It was just something I formed a conclusion on through experience, and real-world experience always trumped forum or google vicarious. My woman's got a very well paid job, in charge of a lot of people and world bank money. Never once asked me for a penny, not once. As for moneyed families, my son's Pinoy side of the family are very well known in Davao because of their business. They have a lot of investments. Once again, never once asked me for money. Like I said, works for me. Also, not all dirt poor families will ask for cash, lots are decent people, but there is more chance, and there's always someone in the family, however distant a relative, who will crawl out of the woodwork with "problems". Education is always the cure for poverty,and poverty is what motivates them to ask for money,hence my reasoning that if a family have invested heavily in education they aren't likely to ask for handouts from westerners.
    The family wanting handouts is just one of many banana skins to encounter but that can be nullified like I explained earlier.

Intelligence can be used against you and it's an attribute that won't necessarily make a good partner. Don't get me wrong I'd rather have a Pinay who can speak and write good English but she doesn't need to have loads of qualifications. Appreciation, maturity, honesty, loyalty and being non-materialistic rank far higher than intelligence IMO.

I think like attracts like. I like someone who has a bit of confidence, fits into any social situation, can converse on a level with most, discuss issues with a little knowledge. Different strokes for different blokes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information