Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Please Don't Take My Hearing Loss At Face Value!

It is often [mistakenly] assumed that deafness is a condition that predominantly afflicts the elderly.

Probably for the the most
    part ... ... this is true - in so far as, the older we become, the more likely we are to experience some decline in our faculties - hearing loss being among the most common. Indeed, those of you who met me at Scarborough in June 2012 will testify to my being a prime example of such a claim.

But sometimes, of course, there are exceptions ... as the following link to an article written by one young lady fitted with hearing aids at the tender age of 17, indicates:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tama...?utm_hp_ref=uk ...

Hear, hear! .

Trusted Member
    Your memory is good, Arthur - we did have a members’ meeting in Scarborough just over 5 years ago !

The young lady in your link obviously overcame her shyness and embarrassment to write an article about her hearing loss.

It’s perhaps a surprisingly common problem, affecting ~10 million people in the UK to some degree.

As you say, it often develops with age, so-called " sensorineural " hearing loss, in which the sensitive inner ear cells and " auditory " nerve taking signals to the brain become less effective.

The other main type of hearing loss is " conductive ", where sounds don’t pass properly from the outer ear to the inner ear ( commonest cause being ear wax ).

There are many other causes for both types of hearing loss - including genes, infections, injury such as perforated ear drum, and various illnesses. Exposure to loud noise - music, TV, or work-related - should be avoided.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 8th August 2017 at 12:41. Reason: Apologies, Alan - I inadvertently pressed "Edit" instead of "Quote Reply" when responding to this post of yours! Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Your memory is good, Arthur - we did have a members’ meeting in Scarborough just over 5 years ago !
    Thanks, Alan ... I'm very sure ALL of us who attended share my fond recollections of an extra~special occasion!

Thread Information