Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you think its expensive here then you are in for a surprise or two after your plane touches down in the UK!!

update for today even the cbcp (catholic bishop ) are having a meeting w/ regards of gloria to resigned from work,yeah youre right
    Remember this.
    It is not in the interests of the catholic church for this country or its people to ever prosper..Only a select few.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jedc143 View Post
    who will be replace on her position ?Noli de castro
    How about Estada? He's volunteered to be Chief Clown for a short while until a new government is elected. (according to GMANews)

And Imelda? Maybe she could be considered for the post

I heard Tony Blair has a few hours spare....

Banned
    is that post for me kimmi,,fortunately i'm not blaming president in my life now cause i had comfortable life at the moment ,having a nice business earning good as i said i don't have against president...ok ?

peace

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    If you think its expensive here then you are in for a surprise or two after your plane touches down in the UK!!

Remember this.
    It is not in the interests of the catholic church for this country or its people to ever prosper..Only a select few.
    at least even expensive in uk,the salary are fair enough you see the 350pesos per 8 hours and while the friend of my friend working in tesco just for Saturday and Sundays earning 600 pounds pheewww

Banned
    oh by the way guys,not my way to argue w/ you or not trying to replace troubled as well i will stop on that part

at least even expensive in uk,the salary are fair enough
    Minimum wage 5.35 an hour,1 bed flat in south east from £700,00 a month,council tax £1000++ a year, Petrol 1.00 a litre,road tax £180.00.
    £220 to buy a standard return rail ticket from Manchester to London.
    £7.00 to watch a movie
    20 cigarettes 5.00+
    I`ll stop there as I dont want to wind the Brit members up further..

A quick search in Cambridge job center for unskilled staff..

ASSISTANT BAR PERSON
    CGI/15939

GIRTON CAMBRIDGE CAMBSHIRE
    £5.75 PER HOUR
    COMMERCIAL INDUSTRIAL CLEANER
    THO/13903

NATIONWIDE
    SALARY TO BE ADVISED
    CLEANING OPERATIVE
    GOE/12625

THROUGHOUT NOTTINGHAM
    £6.10 PER HOUR
    CLEANER
    CGI/15248

CAMBOURNE, CAMBS
    £7.00 PER HOUR
    CLEANER
    CGI/15247

CAMBOURNE, CAMBS
    £7.00 PER HOUR
    WAITING STAFF
    CGI/15735

GREAT CAMBOURNE,CAMBRIDGE,CAMB
    £5.52 PER HOUR
    CLEANER
    CGI/15624

CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
    £7.50 PER HOUR

Welcome to Britain.

Banned
    well everybody always moan as no contented on their life,if you think you have the reason go for it....

the friend of my friend working in tesco just for Saturday and Sundays earning 600 pounds pheewww
    I have a friend of a friend of a friend that told me that story once.
    600.00 Pound a month is pretty good for Tesco`s,especially when they only have to work weekends!

Banned
    Minimum wage 5.35 an hour,1 bed flat in south east from £700,00 a month,council tax £1000++ a year, Petrol 1.00 a litre,road tax £180.00.
    £220 to buy a standard return rail ticket from Manchester to London.
    £7.00 to watch a movie
    20 cigarettes 5.00+
    I`ll stop there as I dont want to wind the Brit members up further..

Welcome to Britain.
    You're right. The UK is an expensive place to live and tough for someone on the minimum wage, however, the entry requirements for many simple jobs in PI are ridiculous and the salary often little more than the transportation costs to work.

Uk versus Phils

Uk: min wage £5.52 unskilled
    £9.00 min semi skilled/nurse
    £14.00 skilled carpenter/bricklayer/engineer
    £ 30 per hour self employed plumber
    cigarrettes £5.52 benson or Marlboro
    petrol £1.06 litre
    diesel £1.11 litre
    house £220.00 standard 3 bed in west sussex
    council tax £1200 per year
    water rates £ 400 p.a ave
    electric £800 p.a ave
    gas £1000 p.a ave
    6 eggs 80p
    where can I stop ,yes Uk is expensive but compared to filipno wages we are way better off, much better standard of living but at a price, stress. I am moving to Phils because I have one of those £200,000+ houses but here I have no life, no time for enjoyment with the demands of meeting the bills, in Phils I can do as I please there I will be wealthy. Brits have evolved over many years in a consumer society and do not know how to survive within our means unlike the filipino, but Phils is quickly becoming a consumer society as well as all the other bad traits of British and American life, weight problems for one another is credit cards.The filippine economy is improving but it is increasing inflation and making things more expensive OFW will reduce the amount of money they send home for family due to the devaluing exchange rate, expats on a tight fixed budget may leave if the exchange rate worsens,I have no probs with Glo but a coo would increase the exchange rate and make me a bit better off when I am there.

don't forget the NHS

Many knock it, many abuse it, but when you are really ill it is there, Troubled where will you be recieving your medical care say if you got cancer, Thailand, no, Phils, no, Uk most likely, you will be on a plane straight back here, admit it there really is no other country as good as the UK and I have been to many. Just recently a filipino friend was diagnosed with breast cancer, she is so grateful for the NHS and all her treatment it costs her no extra than what we pay tax and N.I for.
    My fiance in Phils came from a wealthy family when she was younger, but due to illness in the family it wiped out all their wealth, father eventually died 2 years ago and mother has Parkinson disease and the meds are expensive, the family cannot afford them, and neither can I, so Troubled is UK that bad really, what if you become more troubled, do they have access to free psychiatrist to sort out your troubles, sorry mate no pun intended just trying to get a point across. just enjoy your life, try and look over the poverty and be grateful for your life, that is how I see most filipino's cope with their situation

Banned
    nice ! that is how i can see the reasoning of matured people

I am moving to Phils because I have one of those £200,000+ houses but here I have no life, no time for enjoyment with the demands of meeting the bills
    Exactly my sentiments a couple of years ago.
    It can be a very frustrating way to live. I much prefer my life now as I have so much more control over my own finances. The problem in the UK is that the government decide what is good for us and make the relevant deductions. One thing I notice here is the fact I have no direct debits going out for anything.
    If I want a water supply,I dig a well and buy a pump..Hey presto!! We have water.
    In the UK,if I want water at a discount I need to sign the direct debit form and pay through the nose.
    When we left we cancelled our direct debits..It was like a huge weight that I had been carrying for so long suddenly removed...Instant relief!

where will you be recieving your medical care say if you got cancer, Thailand, no, Phils, no, Uk most likely, you will be on a plane straight back here
    Possibly the UK if I cant avoid it. Why not? I have been paying into the NHS my whole working life.
    Mind you..So did my father but he had a stroke in an NHS waiting room after waiting 2 hours to be seen by a doctor. He died 2 weeks later aged 55.
    I never really complained out loud about modern life in the UK whilst I lived there..
    But that was then!!
    Looking on the bright side though, it may have improved since I left..
    I hear you can earn 600.00 notes for a weekend working in Tesco`s for instance!!

Banned
    well since i haven't experience all those and i just base my reply to what i read like Filipino's like to marry a Brit (or other race) just because most of them are wanting a good fortune,aside from the main reason i hope that they love each other.. when tomm visit PI he saw some old men laying on the street very dirty and i also let him experience ride on the jeep and he saw men came into jeep and rub the shoes of the passengers and beg for penny's,he said in Uk old people never experience laying on the street,begging for penny's cause government give them shelter,food in short budget for their expenses to live
    as always Filipino keep saying "i'm proud to be Filipino"...yes i am very much proud of....but just for some reason's..

ohh lastly hes sick by now because of the so much pollution he smell when hes here (hehehe hes not used to that pollution, like us here),he saw the smoke coming out from the jeeps,sorry hubby its just that i'm staying on the center of manila(Makati/Sta.Ana)

he said in Uk old people never experience laying on the street,begging for penny's cause government give them shelter,food in short budget for their expenses to live
    Perhaps he has never visited London or Milton Keynes..
    Damned beggars everywhere.
    We Brits often used to say there was no excuse for it here but I think things may have changed since then.
    These days with certain undesirables from eastern Europe that beg with menace outside shopping centers and ATM`s , doesn`t seem like much we can do about it.
    Welcome to Britain.
    Sorry I seem a bit pessimistic about the UK at times..
    Its because I am.

Banned
    its ok,you're fine Fred..we all have the right to say whats our feelings and opinion though

good n bad

There is good n bad points for every contry just as there is in people, I feel the Phils suits my personality, I find stressed out people get me down, negativity which there is plenty of in Uk makes me depressed, as my younger brother said years ago when I asked him when he was going to stop going of abroad and be more responsible he said " I love going to other countries because I don't understand their politics, don't understand their language, don't read their papers, don't watch their t.v, I just chill without all the worries and am oblivious to what is happening in the world and enjoy my time"

Oh Jedc

how could you drag him around manila, I must admit I had a week there my last visit, within 2 days I started questioning whether I wanted to live in Phils, I felt stressed, the minute I got off the plane in Cebu I new I wanted to spend my time living somewhere in the visayas, Manila is fine if you have business there or if you have to work there, otherwise it is horrible, I put it at the top of one of the worst places I ever visited

Banned
    yes,sad cause i was living here in manila and i had my business here as well,and you are right its nice to live somewhere like province w/c less pollution,but i grown up in manila and i had no province at all my parents origin here (i agree to you this is the worst place in PI but cant help it cause my business is here though i'm living comfortable just because of my business

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblybob View Post
    how could you drag him around manila, I must admit I had a week there my last visit, within 2 days I started questioning whether I wanted to live in Phils, I felt stressed, the minute I got off the plane in Cebu I new I wanted to spend my time living somewhere in the visayas, Manila is fine if you have business there or if you have to work there, otherwise it is horrible, I put it at the top of one of the worst places I ever visited
    Sure it might not suit everybody but Manila was fun and it was me that wanted to see it. I'm not talking about Green Belt and places like that.... I mean the real Manila. I've been to places far worse. I wouldn't want to live there though... the pollution sucks

Banned
    Perhaps he has never visited London or Milton Keynes..
    Damned beggars everywhere.
    We Brits often used to say there was no excuse for it here but I think things may have changed since then.
    These days with certain undesirables from eastern Europe that beg with menace outside shopping centers and ATM`s , doesn`t seem like much we can do about it.
    Welcome to Britain.
    Sorry I seem a bit pessimistic about the UK at times..
    Its because I am.

I visit London quite frequently, so I'm well aware of the beggars there. Twice in Manila I encountered the shoe cleaning beggars whilst riding a jeepney, on one occasion it was a child of about 6 years. Can you imagine that happening in the UK?

Fred, you're obviously happy in PI so you have made the right move. For me personally, I enjoy a good standard of living in the UK... so I'm happy here. It's all down to personal choice and circumstances.

If you think the UK is expensive, spend some time in Norway

Tomm..

Thats just Manila!!
    It is what it is..The place is just another overcrowded city (Asian style) and not my cup of tea.
    Although I dont live there any more,I can get there in 30 mins depending on traffic..We are moving out to the visayas once we have set up our business here correctly ..Perhaps this year.
    Having said that there are many foreigners that would not live anywhere else in the R.P..
    I have neighbours from the U.S,Belgium,Norway and Denmark that love this area and would find it inconvenient living anywhere without places like the mall of asia or Makro and Embassy buildings near by.
    Others choose places like Ortigas,Quezon city Alabang or Makati where they live in houses that you could only dream about anywhere in the UK with maids cooks and live in drivers.If you get a chance take a drive down to Manila Polo club in Makati and you will see what I mean..
    Anyway..Horses for courses.
    Which brings me to the standard of living comment.. I can honestly say that our living standards here far exceeds what we were accustomed to in the UK. I cannot think of one thing that we need that cannot be obtained if we so wish without the constant feeling of being ripped off at every turn.(as in UK). For us,Its a stress free lifestyle no doubt about it.

However..The Philippines is not for everyone and that's a fact..

are u drunk again fred?

theres alot of crap in this thread!

the first time i went to manila to meet my gf,i got to the airport and needed the toilet so after getting my bags i went to the airport toilet lol (which reminded me of the toilets in any park in england but this is in the national airport oh its a 3rd world country).
    the guy maning the toilet turned the tap on for me,i washed my hands and walked out but guess what the cheeky git wanted A TIP,arriving at the letter M so my gf can pick me up and another was asking me if i wanted a taxi or where i was going i guess he wanted to help me with my bags for a TIP.

at the lowest level to the highest u can pay any one off if ur bag of cash is big enough that really is pathetic isnt it?

the poor sit on there lazy backsides having lots of kids and moan about the rich? and live off the money from the foreign workers what are they supposed to do?

and thats the trouble with the country even the poor take advantage,the rich take advantage even all the foreigners who go and live in the philipines take advantage ie getting live in maids and drivers and paying them such high wages.

some say the filipinos are so freindly and happy people,at club manila there was one guy who had a face like thunder i wonder why?
    maybe his parents are poor and hes got 6 brothers and sisters so he as a limited education and stuck in a low payed job for the rest of life or should he sit on his lazy butt while the president does such a good job at running the country taking cash from everyone who gives it her,so i wonder why hes so angry?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    the cheeky git wanted A TIP,arriving at the letter M so my gf can pick me up and another was asking me if i wanted a taxi or where i was going i guess he wanted to help me with my bags for a TIP.
    I had the same problem on my first visit to Philippines, but now I just ignore them if they ask for a tip. Some are persistent, in which case a few choice words from Elsa normally solves the problem. Don't know what she says to them but it works ..

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    are u drunk again fred?

Im drunk on life pal..
    Sounds like you need a shot of what I had!

I think some of the comments on here are unfair. I agree there are some who are always asking for money and who are lazy but there are plenty who through no fault of their own are poor and need to do what they can just to survive. I think unless you have visited the Philippines many times and married to a Filipino its best to reserve judgement..

I agree with what u said John..

having just watched a program on the' Nov. 16 Hacienda Luisita massacre' in 2004, it's disturbing and shocking that the president would send in the army and police to shoot strikers, who at the time were being paid less than 10php a week

no wonder the president claims the philippine economy is booming shame on her..

this is not the program i watched, it was 30 mins long, i found this on youtube about the massacre thou..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAGcA9ZIxNg

maybe the uk is not such a bad place..

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    having just watched a program on the' Nov. 16 Hacienda Luisita massacre' in 2004, it's disturbing and shocking that the president would send in the army and police to shoot strikers, who at the time were being paid less than 10php a week

no wonder the president claims the philippine economy is booming shame on her..

this is not the program i watched, it was 30 mins long, i found this on youtube about the massacre thou..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAGcA9ZIxNg

maybe the uk is not such a bad place..
    Just looking after her own..

As most people in power in phill and the world do

Im sure all the people who had cheaper sugar were grateful..

Why its important to find out where things you buy and use come form and who it affects.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information