Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To retire at 54 and a bit

Some folk can retire early and manage very well for the rest of there lives others well they may have to work till they retire and still struggle.
    You have just over £105,000 cash and a private pension of £90,000 of which you can draw from as much as you like or as little as you like.
    So is it enough to say sod it and go your own way in life knowing there is nothing else coming in until your state pension age of 66.
    Your partner has a private pension of £200 a month coming in plus savings of £50,000 and again she cannot get her state pension as she is 58.
    Its a lot of money added together and if you are sensible it could go a long way.
    I must add to this in the 7 months since he took early retirement he looks amazing, he has lost weight he looks good and he has changed his way of life for the better too.
    Has he done the right thing well in my eyes he has , as the saying goes you cant take it with you.

Life is far too short, IMO, to work until you drop - literally!

So, if you have sufficient wherewithal to retire early - and, of course comfortably - then ...do it! It doesn't need a small fortune.

But ... ... as I've said, 's just my opinion.

Too early for me, I'd rather boost my savings....

Steve it depends entirely on the lifestyle that they live, but i will reiterate what i think Tawi said on another thread, the old grey matter needs to be kept engaged.

Emma has told me i have to wait so its no later then 23 months but it could be as soon as 19 months, but each month we are here the pot is getting full, but how much is enough.
    So keep my head down and try to keep my mouth shut and all will be well, yer sod that why change now i say.

Trusted Member
    Up to you sir.

Do what makes you happy. You're a long time dead.

Are you happy ?

I have little money and few possessions, but I am happy.

I am at my happiness when i am with Emma .

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    I am at my happiness when i am with Emma .
    Well, all you need to do is make sure that she is always happily by your side then.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Well, all you need to do is make sure that she is always happily by your side then.
    Yes with enough money in the bank to buy those nice shoes....

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    Steve it depends entirely on the lifestyle that they live, but i will reiterate what i think Tawi said on another thread, the old grey matter needs to be kept engaged.
    He is into his bike ridding, he goes of for miles and miles for hours on end, and he loves it, better if he has someone to go with as he says,

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Yes with enough money in the bank to buy those nice shoes....
    Yes but it will be flip flops soon, do they do those in heels

£155k cash lump sum?Sounds ok initially,then soon reduces when you buy a house abroad,maybe a motorbike,maybe a boat etc,then if your in pinas theres always family to help you spend it so you say lets wait till we have 200K OR 250k......................the next day as we go to walk across the road a bus comes around the corner,the driver is momentarily distracted by a passanger........................ £155k buys a nice stone I suppose

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Oh I see rough seas ahead....

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    £155k cash lump sum?Sounds ok initially,then soon reduces when you buy a house abroad,maybe a motorbike,maybe a boat etc,then if your in pinas theres always family to help you spend it so you say lets wait till we have 200K OR 250k......................the next day as we go to walk across the road a bus comes around the corner,the driver is momentarily distracted by a passanger........................ £155k buys a nice stone I suppose
    Thats life , France is sounding better every day.

Oh I see rough seas ahead....
    I shall wear a life jacket permanent.

Thats life , France is sounding better every day.
    France is great,good healthcare services,its clean,its civilised,and rural france so I am reliably informed has very little crime,unlike rural Philippines where my mate had his washing nicked off the line and his tools nicked if your moving to the Philippines because you love the country itself great,if your moving because its where your missus is from and that's the only reason it can sometimes be a recipe for disaster.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Yes, I'm fortunate that my wife loves France, its food and culture so it just means a trip back to the Phils every year or so. But I enjoy visiting it like that as I found living there full time too much....

Yes, I'm fortunate that my wife loves France, its food and culture so it just means a trip back to the Phils every year or so. But I enjoy visiting it like that as I found living there full time too much....
    I used to like the Philippines a lot when I was younger,please don't get me wrong,but as I get older my tolerance levels for certain things have gone right down,for a visit its ok,but the world is a big old place,and lots of it beats the Philippines for a good number of things,cuisine in france is one of them,as is the laid back countryside approach,i landed today but it wont be long before I am on a plane once again back to the south of france,theres a flight school in the foothills of the Pyrenees

I used to like the Philippines a lot when I was younger,please don't get me wrong,but as I get older my tolerance levels for certain things have gone right down,for a visit its ok,but the world is a big old place,and lots of it beats the Philippines for a good number of things,cuisine in france is one of them,as is the laid back countryside approach,i landed today but it wont be long before I am on a plane once again back to the south of france,theres a flight school in the foothills of the Pyrenees
    You sound more like Alan Whicker every day.

Certainly sounds good to me, also one of the benefits of living in France is the locality to so many other interesting places, jump in the car and you could be in 4 or 5 other countries within hours but in the Phils where we lived it took 4 hours to get to Manila and then you had a flight to wherever you wanted to go so yes for us a holiday over there in that region every year or two will be fine....

Certainly sounds good to me, also one of the benefits of living in France is the locality to so many other interesting places, jump in the car and you could be in 4 or 5 other countries within hours but in the Phils where we lived it took 4 hours to get to Manila and then you had a flight to wherever you wanted to go so yes for us a holiday over there in that region every year or two will be fine....
    Sounds wonderful,

You sound more like Alan Whicker every day.
    didn't it used to take him 2 or 3 days to get to Hong Kong back in the day?Quintissential Englishman,he was never flustered and always dressed impeccably,a bit like Michael palin

didn't it used to take him 2 or 3 days to get to Hong Kong back in the day?Quintissential Englishman,he was never flustered and always dressed impeccably,a bit like Michael palin
    Yes, I think Michael Palin took over the shows just like he used to do.
    Did he use to go around the world with just himself and a cameraman?

Could be the best of both worlds here.
    Seeing the family every other year and living in another place, none of this lets go around to Steves and eat them out of house, steve can pay for this and so on, if that ever happens.
    Still have time to plan when and where and if too.

It's not just that Steve, a very good friend of mine went into Makati Medical Centre with stomach pains and never came out...

It's not just that Steve, a very good friend of mine went into Makati Medical Centre with stomach pains and never came out...
    That's the problem, if you have the funds to pay for anything medical, then the world's your oyster.
    You cannot stop anything happening health wise you may able to help, but if you are going to die, you will die, it's choosing where you would like to, that's the thing

From steve jobs on his death bed.......... wise words.

from work, I have little joy. Finally, my wealth is simply a fact to which I am accustomed.
    At this time, lying on the hospital bed and remembering all my life, I realize that all the accolades and riches of which I was once so proud, have become insignificant with my imminent death.
    In the dark, when I look at green lights, of the equipment for artificial respiration and feel the buzz of their mechanical sounds, I can feel the breath of my approaching death looming over me.
    Only now do I understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth.
    It should be something more important:
    For example, stories of love, art, dreams of my childhood.
    No, stop pursuing wealth, it can only make a person into a twisted being, just like me.
    God has made us one way, we can feel the love in the heart of each of us, and not illusions built by fame or money, like I made in my life, I cannot take them with me.
    I can only take with me the memories that were strengthened by love.
    This is the true wealth that will follow you; will accompany you, he will give strength and light to go ahead.
    Love can travel thousands of miles and so life has no limits. Move to where you want to go. Strive to reach the goals you want to achieve. Everything is in your heart and in your hands.
    What is the world's most expensive bed? The hospital bed.
    You, if you have money, you can hire someone to drive your car, but you cannot hire someone to take your illness that is killing you.
    Material things lost can be found. But one thing you can never find when you lose: life.
    Whatever stage of life where we are right now, at the end we will have to face the day when the curtain falls.
    Please treasure your family love, love for your spouse, love for your friends...
    Treat everyone well and stay friendly with your neighbours.

Wise words, but do we listen?
    My mate is coming around Sunday for a spot of dinner, his going away present from me to him as he is going on the 21st.
    His dream maybe, but at least he is going to give it a go.
    Maybe I am kidding myself about I am waiting for Emma but I am part of a team and it's not just for me my future, its about sharing my future with Emma.
    It's not long to wait, but in between time we are going to enjoy Europe a few times.

The important part of that Quote was...

"Only now do I understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth."

It`s very easy for some people with an unlimited amount of money to remind us of it`s irrelevance on their death bed...(Not saying S.J did that)
    In reality,we all need money..Money aids happiness,health and security.

Everyone should read this story:-

A vacationing American businessman standing on the pier of a quaint coastal fishing village in southern Mexico watched as a small boat with just one young Mexican fisherman pulled into the dock. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. Enjoying the warmth of the early afternoon sun, the American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

"How long did it take you to catch them?" the American casually asked.

"Oh, a few hours," the Mexican fisherman replied.

"Why don't you stay out longer and catch more fish?" the American businessman then asked.

The Mexican warmly replied, "With this I have more than enough to meet my family's needs."

The businessman then became serious, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

Responding with a smile, the Mexican fisherman answered, "I sleep late, play with my children, watch ball games, and take siesta with my wife. Sometimes in the evenings I take a stroll into the village to see my friends, play the guitar, sing a few songs..."

The American businessman impatiently interrupted, "Look, I have an MBA from Harvard, and I can help you to be more profitable. You can start by fishing several hours longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra money, you can buy a bigger boat. With the additional income that larger boat will bring, before long you can buy a second boat, then a third one, and so on, until you have an entire fleet of fishing boats."

Proud of his own sharp thinking, he excitedly elaborated a grand scheme which could bring even bigger profits, "Then, instead of selling your catch to a middleman you'll be able to sell your fish directly to the processor, or even open your own cannery. Eventually, you could control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this tiny coastal village and move to Mexico City, or possibly even Los Angeles or New York City, where you could even further expand your enterprise."

Having never thought of such things, the Mexican fisherman asked, "But how long will all this take?"

After a rapid mental calculation, the Harvard MBA pronounced, "Probably about 15-20 years, maybe less if you work really hard."

"And then what, señor?" asked the fisherman.

"Why, that's the best part!" answered the businessman with a laugh. "When the time is right, you would sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions."

"Millions? Really? What would I do with it all?" asked the young fisherman in disbelief.

The businessman boasted, "Then you could happily retire with all the money you've made. You could move to a quaint coastal fishing village where you could sleep late, play with your grandchildren, watch ball games, and take siesta with your wife. You could stroll to the village in the evenings where you could play the guitar and sing with your friends all you want."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information