Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

A cold & sore throat, turned out to be Pneumonia

Hi all,
    At the end of March I had a 'cold & sore throat' and started taking Paracetmol at 4 hourly doses this seemed to help only for a sudden return with added difficulty to breath, and stomach pain from retching and feeling sick, with an almost complete loss of appetite, it was difficult to take my dog on his necessary even short walks!

By the Wednesday 5th April I knew I needed help, I felt dreadful and could not face trying to eat, I was also worried about care of my dog, my son Geoffrey was calling on me the next morning with some tinned soup, when he did he phoned for ambulance help, a 'fast response paramedic' arrived very quickly and asked many questions while examining me, he then called for a full ambulance crew, in al there were 5 ambulance crew in attendance, after initial test they carried me to the ambulance and administered drugs including antibiotics, and with blue lights and sirens on took me to A & E at St Mary's hospital.

More test including x rays were done and I was told I had Pneumonia and would need to be admitted for a 3 night stay for treatment, my son then returned to my flat and took my dog home to his 'no pets allowed flat' to look after him.

I was taken to the 'Medical Admissions Unit' I had at the ambulance men's request gathered the daily drugs I was on, these were changed re arranged as treatment got under way,
    after a few hours of antibiotics administered I began to feel more alive!

After 2 nights I was moved to another ward whey they said I would need to remain for a further week, news I did not want to hear, daily life on a ward is very boring in between Dr visits and treatment sessions.

I searched the ward for any discarded novels I could find to pass time, sleeping was like being on a main line railway platform with the 24 hour events happening, but at least I was not on one of the two body trolleys I saw wheeled off the ward.

As I am not into smart phones, I could not get to my emails or here or any browsing, a laptop would not have helped as the wards have no internet available to patients!

There were as is normal here now many beautiful young Filipina nurses, and with my limited knowledge of the Philippines had some interesting conversations, most patients here they find have no idea where the Philippines are even, so again talking with them was enjoyable (for me anyhow).

With Easter good Friday being on the 14th April, I was keen to get home before then or be in hospital over the weekend with little happening, on a Drs ward round on the 12th April they said I could if I felt up to it go home on Thursday 13th, then a short while later said if my take home drugs could be sorted in time go that afternoon, so I eventually arrived home at 5pm on Wednesday the 12th April and eagerly awaited my son bring my dog 'Charley' home, he was pleased to be home too.

It is now 05.45 am but I slept well for being home.
    Mick.

Great to have you back Mick, you will have to get yourself a Tablet . I bet its good to be back with your best friend as im sure he missed you..

Bloody Mick, you have been through the wars just lately.
    Glad you are home now, sometimes there is nothing better then your own bed.
    How is your peeing since the last time you mentioned it.

Good to hear you are back home Mick, take care....

Good to know you got fixed Mick.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    Pneumonia, meaning inflammation of the substance of the lungs, may occur across all ages, but is more common at the extremes of age. In the UK community setting there has been an increase in rates of hospital admission in the past decade or so, probably due to an ageing population and changes in clinical practice.

The term " pneumonia " is in common use - but perhaps more accurately it would be called " pneumonitis ", as it’s a type of inflammation. It may be either " lobar ", usually involving one of the five lung lobes ; or " bronchopneumonia ", more patchy and centred on small air passages.

As in your case, it’s often bacterial - the most common single cause is " pneumococcus ". Once a causative organism is identified, then the correct antibiotics may be given - the course of treatment must be completed. There are less common causes, including ( unfortunately ) pneumonia actually acquired in hospital or nursing home. A pneumococcal vaccine is available for babies and people aged 65 and over ( among others ).

In addition to the symptoms you describe, cough, fever, chest pain, and other symptoms not related to the lungs, may occur.

Best wishes for a full recovery, Mick !

Glad you got diagnosed and on the mend.

I'm on my 4th mild cold this year. Seems everytime my daughter gets something I catch it. Doctor reckons because she's just started nursery in January she will pick things up, so unfortunately I will get them, nothing they can do.!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Pleased you are getting back to normal Mick, hope you have a lovely weekend with your little friend Charley, take care

Crikey, Mick ... you have been "in the wars" (or - perhaps more accurately - the wards) recently. Certainly you've been "through the mill" healthwise!

Thankfully,
    you're now back home (there's nowhere better,!) So, Myrna and I join your many friends here in wishing you a full and [very] speedy recovery.

Meanwhile, take care
    !

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Glad you got diagnosed and on the mend.

I'm on my 4th mild cold this year. Seems everytime my daughter gets something I catch it. Doctor reckons because she's just started nursery in January she will pick things up, so unfortunately I will get them, nothing they can do.!
    Nits soon for you then

Trusted Member
    Good to hear that you came through it ok and are now on the mend Mick !

No free wifi in a hospital in 2017 ? Pathetic !
    As you've discovered, it's bad enough living in the appalling conditions they expect you to put up with.
    Yep... really going to help the recovery of someone who is sick !

Thread Information