Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Storm Doris

Storm Doris

Its good to be warned about what may happen with the weather, its going to rain today, so you may take a coat or a umbrella out with you, hot and sunny you may take a hat.
    Amber warnings , red warnings, yes these must help many people in there daily routines but does it stop the workers going to work .
    I can remember when i was younger and at school, our schools never ever closed, you could have a few feet of snow but it never closed, the main roads was kept open and so on.
    Have we become t soft, the wrong leaves, the rain coming down the wrong way , and god help us if the sun shined more then 4 hours a day we would all melt,
    Life goes on for many in worst conditions i am sure.

As a nation the weather features strongly in our conversations,we moan about it constantly,i live near heathrow and i know if we get a snowdrop or two flights are resheduled or cancelled last feb i was in ottawa,we had the second highest recorded snowfall since records began in one day,it was incredible,real snow,massive amount,yet it was business as usual,kids went to school,flights took off,it was incredibly cold massive amounts of snow yet life went on,people fixed snowploughs to the front of their dodge rams and off they went,snowploughs and gritters were everywhere,i think brits are a little too soft and mollycoddled.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

,i think brits are a little too soft and mollycoddled.
    We never use to be , so when did it all start i wonder, was it when the leaves started to attack us and the single snow drop that hit that building in London.

People should have been sacked for that "Trains cant run because there are the wrong sort of leaves on the track" fiasco,bloody hell,they were sycamore or oak leaves not bloody banana fronds.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    People should have been sacked for that "Trains cant run because there are the wrong sort of leaves on the track" fiasco,bloody hell,they were sycamore or oak leaves not bloody banana fronds.
    I remember the wrong leaves issue and also a few years earlier the wrong snow issue. I can also recall the very low winter sun issue too.

Basically poor communications from highly paid spokespersons
    In fact the leaves, the snow and the sun all caused real technical issues which were never properly explained despite having clear scientific root causes.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    No such thing as wrong leaves or wrong kind of snow on the tracks in 1947 the trains just kept going until they couldn't go any further

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    No such thing as wrong leaves or wrong kind of snow on the tracks in 1947 the trains just kept going until they couldn't go any further
    The issues connected with leaves and snow only applied to electrically powered vehicles via traction motors.
    For that reason the diesel powered vehicles were called upon to keep the networks running.

Really hardly any mainline stock of any note in pre-British Rail days were either diesel or electric in 1947

Hence no traction problems

Been out today,seen two trees down,one totally blocking the road,quite windy but mixed blue sky and cloud.

Driving home from work at 2pm, branches and twigs everywhere on the 12 mile journey, also a tree across the road.
    Thing is I leave for work at 5.20am in the morning and where these roads were in daylight coming home today, they will be pitch black going to work. So going to drive extra carfully in the morning.

Just be careful, hopefully it should be all blown into the ditches ,

Rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you Aint seen nothing to what we are getting here at the moment. People down the road from us are evacuating for the third time this year.

WHY is it storms, typhoons - and the like - almost invariably seem to have womens' names, I wonder?

... could it be that female mood swings are regarded as being [generally] more unpredictable or what?

As far as I know almost all organisations have lists of names for storms, typhoons hurricanes etc that comprise both male and female names.

It could just be coincidence that those deadliest or most memorable storms have female names..... or it could be due to other reasons such as the one you suggested

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you Aint seen nothing to what we are getting here at the moment. People down the road from us are evacuating for the third time this year.
    Hope it's a little better now

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    WHY is it storms, typhoons - and the like - almost invariably seem to have womens' names, I wonder?

... could it be that female mood swings are regarded as being [generally] more unpredictable or what?
    They are given names in alphabetical order and alternating between male and female names. The next one will be Frank or Fred.

Thread Information