Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHS pressure

NHS pressure

A long time ago when i started to vote the main items that the government would say would be we shall give more to schools, old age pensions, police and the NHS,
    Whats changed over these years, well schools dont seem to get mentioned now, the police dont get a mention and even the pensioners have disappeared but the NHS is still there.
    So why is it there seems to be struggling every year.
    Is it because the old are living longer, there are more people coming from abroad , or there are more illness around, or is it all down to hard cash not being given to the right departments.
    Do we give more from our wages to help sort this out, do we have to pay some sort of extra insurance to help too.or do we do nothing and let the government sort it all out even though they say they are doing this.
    It is making you think if you feel poorly i shall not bother them, just like trying to make a appointment at your doctors .
    Personally i can see parts of this being privatize whether thats right or wrong who knows but something has to be done,
    Just my thoughts i must add,

I would rather have the option of having the NHS but not needing it than need it and not have it is my thoughts,if your noy paying insurance and need surgery in pinas your going to pay through the nose,i had surgery on my knee here two years ago,great service,one thing i never complain about is our NHS,we are very,very lucky,ask the average pinoy who needs some form of surgery but has no cash how lucky we are,in the past i have told pinoys its free here,they dont believe it have you ever bought newspapers in the philippines and seen the pics of children in there who need surgery or medical care and the parents are asking for donations to try to treat their child?I have seen them many,many times.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Just like you, i would rather have then not have the system we have, and i have not seen the papers over in the Phils either but i have read the stories and even had family members asking for help too.
    We are lucky where we are, but for how long can it go on before it just sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Just like you, i would rather have then not have the system we have, and i have not seen the papers over in the Phils either but i have read the stories and even had family members asking for help too.
    We are lucky where we are, but for how long can it go on before it just sinks.
    Make visitors buy health insurance when they apply for their UK tourist/student visa,it will bump their price up,but thats down to them not us the UK taxpayers.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Make visitors buy health insurance when they apply for their UK tourist/student visa,it will bump their price up,but thats down to them not us the UK taxpayers.
    Totally agree with you

We should not allow visitors into the country if they do not have valid health insurance....

Am I being thick here, if I go abroad for a holiday and I do go to a country where I have to get some sort of travel permit or not.
    The first thing I do is get insurance, and in that insurance I can get upto 10 million medical cover,
    So are you saying these folk that come here don't have anysort of travel insurance .

So are you saying these golf that come here don't have anysort of travel insurance .
    Lagos,mumbai,karachi,manila........anyone who gets a golden ticket like willy wonkas chocolate factory,the last thing they worry about is eating too much chocolate,they won the ticket (visa) they just want to get into the promised land,they dont worry about minutia like insurance,they know everything in the UK is free,i i know 4 pinay "students" who came here to study english i have spoken to them all,not one got insurance,worry about the detail later get in first,they are all illegal having failed to leave when their visa expired,they didnt need insurance,the UK provides,the amount of africans,pakistanis,indians,afghanis etc etc etc i have met in london over the years who came here to milk the benefit system dry like a barren cow is unbelievable They won the golden ticket.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 6th February 2017 at 18:35. Reason: Closed bracket on QUOTE by Steve Woolley, as above

Thenprogram with the filipina also had an african lady on it,she needed £500,000 pounds worth of treatment.....and got it!Half a million pounds,how long would that take the average bod to save?We are haemorrhaging cash like an arterial vein,thats why the heart is feeling it,the beat has to become irregular one day,then stop!

I would rather have the option of having the NHS but not needing it than need it and not have it is my thoughts,if your noy paying insurance and need surgery in pinas your going to pay through the nose,i had surgery on my knee here two years ago,great service,one thing i never complain about is our NHS,we are very,very lucky,ask the average pinoy who needs some form of surgery but has no cash how lucky we are,in the past i have told pinoys its free here,they dont believe it have you ever bought newspapers in the philippines and seen the pics of children in there who need surgery or medical care and the parents are asking for donations to try to treat their child?I have seen them many,many times.
    I always try to tell others that It is not free here even for us Brits, we pay as soon as we start working!

Just as we take out health insurance when we travel, then others should have it to come here.
    Mick.

The promise land indeed,
    I wonder if it will change these next few years with bretix or will the human rights lawyers and all these women who matched to keep trump of there pussy get involved and say it can't be done

.........i have told pinoys its free here,they dont believe it
    Well I know what you mean but the NHS is only free at the point of use for those lucky eligible UK residents.
    That certainly doesn't mean it's actually free.

The cost of it needs funding from somewhere and that somewhere is the pocket of taxpayers.

The 'average taxpayer' currently pays around £4666 per year.

Once the income tax personal allowance reaches £12500 (as promised) then even fewer people will be contributing
    Means the 'average taxpayer' will then be paying £5,283 per year for NHS services

I'm not suggesting the annual cost for the NHS for most taxpayer isn't good value.

Well except for tax paying ex-pats like me who contribute finacially but are excluded from the service.

So Peter if you come back here needing to use the NHS service , you cannot use it unless you pay, is there a time limit that you must come back to this country before you are not allowed,
    What would happen if you still have property here too but are always on holiday sort of thing .

Expats from outside Europe who return to the UK to use NHS hospitals will be billed for 150 per cent of the cost of treatment if they don’t have sufficient insurance.
    Treatment remains free for those with a European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) and UK state pensioners living in the European Economic Area (EEA).
    The charges only apply to hospitals – appointments with GPs and accident and emergency treatment remain free. Patients should expect to be asked questions about their residence status in the UK.
    The changes, which came into effect on April 6, affect British expats differently, depending on where they now live. They are part of a drive to save the NHS £500 million a year by 2017/18.

150 % that can't be right can it

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    So Peter if you come back here needing to use the NHS service , you cannot use it unless you pay, is there a time limit that you must come back to this country before you are not allowed,
    What would happen if you still have property here too but are always on holiday sort of thing .
    When I returned to the UK after living in Philippines almost 2 years NHS told me if I had been living out of the UK in excess of 2 years I would have to pay

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Expats from outside Europe who return to the UK to use NHS hospitals will be billed for 150 per cent of the cost of treatment if they don’t have sufficient insurance.
    Treatment remains free for those with a European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) and UK state pensioners living in the European Economic Area (EEA).
    The charges only apply to hospitals – appointments with GPs and accident and emergency treatment remain free. Patients should expect to be asked questions about their residence status in the UK.
    The changes, which came into effect on April 6, affect British expats differently, depending on where they now live. They are part of a drive to save the NHS £500 million a year by 2017/18.
    That's correct as I understand it.
    Having said that I'm sure I read somewhere that if I were to agree to remain in the UK permanently I would become exempt from charges.

I'm still not happy to be expected to pay just the same levels of tax as UK residents but not be eligible to NHS service free at point of use.

I therefore see no reason for me to pay that tax and it's a reason why I will switch my private pensions for tax liability under Philippine tax regimes from April 2017
    Mean I will be paid those pensions without deductions of tax at UK source.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    That's correct as I understand it.
    Having said that I'm sure I read somewhere that if I were to agree to remain in the UK permanently I would become exempt from charges.

I'm still not happy to be expected to pay just the same levels of tax as UK residents but not be eligible to NHS service free at point of use.

I therefore see no reason for me to pay that tax and it's a reason why I will switch my private pensions for tax liability under Philippine tax regimes from April 2017
    Mean I will be paid those pensions without deductions of tax at UK source.
    I see your point and if my income was where I paid tax on it at source I would move mine to the Philippines, some how I think I may just be below the tax threshold.

But what happens boys if I have my house here I pay me council tax here and I am registered here too,
    But I like to travel , back packing all over the world for say 15 months each time then I come back to England my home for say 3 months then I am off back packing again and that's with the right insurance too, would I be classed as not living in England so I could not get treatment if I had too.

But what happens boys if I have my house here I pay me council tax here and I am registered here too,
    But I like to travel , back packing all over the world for say 15 months each time then I come back to England my home for say 3 months then I am off back packing again and that's with the right insurance too, would I be classed as not living in England so I could not get treatment if I had too.
    Here's the key:-
    The NHS is a residency-based healthcare system and eligibility for free NHS hospital care is based on the concept of “ordinary residence”. An overseas visitor is any person who is not “ordinarily resident” in the UK. A person will be “ordinarily resident” in the UK when that residence is lawful, adopted voluntary, and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, whether of short or long duration. Nationals of countries outside
    the European Economic Area (EEA) must also have indefinite leave to remain in the UK in order to be ordinarily resident here. A person who is ordinarily resident in the UK must not be charged for NHS hospital services.
    Important is the following:-
    A person will be “ordinarily resident” in the UK when that residence is lawful, adopted voluntary, and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, whether of short or long duration.

Here's the key:-

Important is the following:-
    Well everyone says I am ordinary so I must count then,

But then again they could misinterpret this anyway they want too suit themselves,

Thank you Peter,

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    I always try to tell others that It is not free here even for us Brits, we pay as soon as we start working!

Just as we take out health insurance when we travel, then others should have it to come here.

Mick.
    ...... s, Mick ... and CONGRATULATIONS on your attaining a well~deserved Silver Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ...... s, Mick ... and CONGRATULATIONS on your attaining a well~deserved Silver Star!
    I had not noticed that Thanks Arthur
    Mick.

Its 8.08am at this precise moment,already TODAY the NHS have spent £130,068,145

Its 8.08am at this precise moment,already TODAY the NHS have spent £130,068,145
    I was watching that too, and did you notice it was going up nearly every time in so many second's of just over £13000 .

Plus who are all these folk who would pay extra tax to help the NHS,
    Let's all help but would it go direct to where it should, plus did I read somewhere about how much the NHS waste by not going buying the same brands from a cheaper supplier because they have contracts

Plus who are all these folk who would pay extra tax to help the NHS,
    Let's all help but would it go direct to where it should, plus did I read somewhere about how much the NHS waste by not going buying the same brands from a cheaper supplier because they have contracts
    I still say people who are not paying into our system should be made to pay for NHS treatment also those with self inflicted illness. We have to pay in other countries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I still say people who are not paying into our system should be made to pay for NHS treatment also those with self inflicted illness. We have to pay in other countries
    Well I pay into the system Michael but am not allowed to use it for free

Well I pay into the system Michael but am not allowed to use it for free
    All the more reason you should be able to use the NHS, the couple of things I mentioned are an example of what is dragging the NHS down and one day hopefully someone in government with knowledge of these things will make changes accordingly Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information