Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

BBC pronouncing foreign names

I was watching a news item about Italy the other day. I found it quite interesting up until the point when the reporter pronounced the name of "Beppe Greeeeello" in a ridiculously exaggerated way. Why do they do this? I stopped listening to the news content, and just had a desire to reach inside the t.v. set, grab the reporter and repeatedly nut him. I'm all for treating everyone with respect and courtesy, but I think that foreign names should be pronounced in a normal way according to the sound system of standard English. I suppose that I probably need to be sent on an "ethnic awareness course", somewhere in Islington or Hampstead.

"Beppe Greeeeello"??
    No Youtube link etc to audio/video?
    Needed as a minimum requirement for further comment!

Trusted Member
    I can hardly bear to watch or listen to the Beeb news broadcasts now, what with the bunch of weirdos with peculiar looks and accents they've assembled... along with the Beeb's lefty hand-wringing bias . Makes me bloody sick... and I'm forced to pay for it !

Can't be any worse than the bloke that does the weather on the evening news here in Leicestershire.....

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I can hardly bear to watch or listen to the Beeb news broadcasts now, what with the bunch of weirdos with peculiar looks and accents they've assembled... along with the Beeb's lefty hand-wringing bias . Makes me bloody sick... and I'm forced to pay for it !
    So whats the story if you rip out your TV antenna and cable equipment?? Just TV,VCR and internet.. You still have to pay?

Oh dear..I just Googled my own question..Its not looking good even without an actual telly in your house..Lap top/desktop or smartphone is covered by the TV licence..
    How can that be legal?? Boggles the mind.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Can't be any worse than the bloke that does the weather on the evening news here in Leicestershire.....
    I hate it when the weather person uses words like 'windier' instead of saying 'more wind'

Trusted Member
    ... Has its lighter moments though.

Hmm, ... time was, when vaetually OLL BBC radio and television newscasters spowk in ratha' plummy, paen lowf aeccents.

......................................... ... yet the *localised dialect of the Corporation's founder and first Director General - Lord John Reith - was about as broad Scots as *they come!

Strange!

I haven't posted a link fred, for the reason that I'm using this as just one example of the phenomenon, it's almost standard practice these days. I'm not objecting to accents Arthur. The reporter sounded as if he came from somewhere near London, was just talking standard BBC English, and then instead of saying "Grillo" to rhyme with "pillow", exaggerated it to a ridiculous degree to the approval of the North London set and the annoyance of everyone else. Bring back Richard Baker and Alastair Burnet (who was Scottish).

Thread Information