Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Don't delay

Don't delay

Right guys, a little reminder for you all.......

My very good friend of many years took early retirement at the beginning of this month, his wife of 40 years did the same about a year ago. Both very fit active people and together very comfortable financially so were planning what to do with their new found time and money. Planning on buying a second home in the Yorkshire dales, and maybe starting a B&B, he is a fantastic chef and she is taking a much keener interest in the kitchen.

Now comes the crunch, his wife was feeling a bit under the weather over the weekend so went to the doctor on Monday, and they did some tests. Tuesday they get a call saying it might be Leukemia, and yesterday they get a further call saying it's Acute Lymphobalastic Leukemia, and she is starting a month of intensive chemotherapy today. They've given her a 50/50 chance.

So, boys and girls stop thinking about it and DO IT. You never know what tomorrow brings

Sad news, Simon ... as you say, however healthy you may appear to be, you simply don't know what lurks round the corner.

It's sad when you read news like this, all the planning and saving we do to try to have a good future,
    How much is enough we all may say, but it's how much time we can't plan for.

Trusted Member
    That is truly bad luck, poor lady. My favourite uncle died of that condition when he was only in his 60s. An otherwise fit and youthful man.

I definitely echo your sentiments as regards doing it NOW. Always been my philosophy.

Thanks for your kind words of sympathy chaps

However, your actions to take heed will mean a lot more

Follow Grahams philosophy and my words

Life's a

Last Friday another friend of mine was crossing the road with his wife where they live in Verona, Italy. She was struck by a motorbike and is now critical in hospital with a fractured skull and severe brain damage, all at the tender age of 32

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Life's a

Last Friday another friend of mine was crossing the road with his wife where they live in Verona, Italy. She was struck by a motorbike and is now critical in hospital with a fractured skull and severe brain damage, all at the tender age of 32
    ... sorry to learn of your friend's wife's unfortunate accident, Simon ... naturally, I wish her well, and she makes a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... sorry to learn of your friend's wife's unfortunate accident, Simon ... naturally, I wish her well, and she makes a speedy recovery.
    Thanks Arthur, they live there so it wasn't a simple mistake like looking the wrong way when approaching the pedestrian crossing. Moved there last year from South Africa, previous to that living in the States but originally from Wales.

Tragic.
    So sorry to learn that about your young friends

Can't say more.

Trusted Member
    That's so awful.

One can only hope that she manages some sort of recovery.

Respected Member
    Sorry to hear about these people's life problems, it really puts things into perspective.

I agree with this mantra of living for today as well as preparing for tomorrow - which is why I've ordered a new sports car. I have pension scheme and life is short. Crikey, I'm probably half way through mine without any 'interruptions' like those mentioned above.

Oh,doom and gloom?My father such as he is,who i havent seen since i left home at 16 because he was such a w***er,a really brutal man,ex forces and 18 years in the prison services,has sô i have been informed only got days to live,cancer,always make rhe most of your time here,its short lived,blink of an eye quick,we are here for a good time not a long time

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

So sorry to read about the above and the awful misfortunes suffered by those involved.

At the grand old age of 57, I took early retirement this year and I haven't looked back, it was one of the best decisions I have made. I now receive a very good pension for life, I will not be dependent on the minuscule state pension and I have money in the bank .... pity I still have a mortgage but I'm working on that one!

Good for you Rosie. Retirement decisions are mainly based on the state of peoples finances. You have done well Rosie. Enjoy it.

In 1999 i had a good well paid job but that same year my wife was diagnosed with Breast cancer and then given 6 months to live. She actually fought on for 3 years, gradually deteriorating until she passed away in Jan 2002, leaving me with the 3 children aged 7, 13, 15 at the time. Life was hell in the 3 years before her death and equally very hard for many years after. Bringing up rebellious teenagers alone was no picnic. At the time i chose to give up my job to look after my children, something i never really regretted. By 2009 I met my now Filipina wife online and we now live together with my step daughter here in the UK so life has been great again for me, BUT i have never forgotten what can often just be around the corner. Fortunate really as a couple of years ago i was (eventually) diagnosed with intradural spinal tumours which had to be hastily removed. Again a 50/50 chance of success and fortunately came out of it without being crippled or worse. So apart from a 6 monthly MRI scan life is settling down again although i may have to have another tumour removed. Yes life does have its ups and downs but IMHO best to stay positive and enjoy life as much as you can. Here's to a bright future for all!

Lordna,my experience mirrors your own,my sons mum passed away feb 2002,breast cancer,my son was a small scared boy,he is now studying medicine and is on course to be a doctor because of that terrible time,i hope 2017 is a great year for yourself and family,be lucky in life.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Thread Information