Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Question Leaving Philippines owing money - How to make arrangements?

I am a UK national and it looks like my partners visa will get approved so he can travel here in January 2016 and we'd get married in March.

We've gone through over 18 months of me especially hearing how 'everyone' from the Philippines is on the fiddle and will just keep asking for more and more money ... the trouble with this is, no matter how hard I try, it creeps in to my thinking. Like most people, It's quite difficult to believe that someone loves me.

Now, the issue ... over a year ago he mentioned about having a debt which gets taken direct from his salary as a teacher. We discussed it then and said that if we have to we will settle it before he travels. At the time we estimated that around June next year it might be around £3000 but I really have no idea at this point how accurate that amount is. The reality is, we now do not have a way to repay that sort of amount. We want to continue paying it but cannot clear the balance. He says that they won't let him leave the country (he needs permission as a government employee) unless the debt is cleared.

Where do we actually stand? I've spent a small fortune on this visa, now it looks like it might happen and his old debt could stop us. This has to be it though, there is no option to defer the visa and apply another time, this is our window.

I know when we went to Hong Kong earlier in the year he forgot to get permission (travel permit) from work but wasn't queried at the airport about it, they just waved him through. I suggested he just hands in his notice and leaves before the debt becomes an issue (on the basis they give him permission). That or he hands in his notice, doesn't bother with the permission, in case they deny it on the basis of the outstanding loan, and leaves the country visa in hand. Now, that's probably illegal but I am trying to get this in my head from 7000 miles away!

Surely it must be possible to explain to the loan people that we're willing to pay just not the whole amount, can they prevent him legally leaving the country because he owes money? Does he need a travel permit if he's resigned.

He's asked me to find a workaround without it costing us money we don't have.

Am open to any options you might have.

Please, I kindly ask of you, don't mention your views that you believe this might all be a scam, he's just after my money and so on. Yes, my eyes are open, I am aware of the possibility but I also don't want to be beaten down by all the negativity.

Many thanks

I don't understand a 'permit' to leave the country if you have a loan. Please find documents where that is stated.. I have friends who are teachers, and I have never heard of this before, they also travel.

I am not going to tell you it's a scam, but why cant your bf tell you exactly the amount, who he owes? when the loan was taken? and what the loan was for?.. too many unanswered questions imo
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    This loan, is it a loan from GSIS (Government Service Insurance System) or SSS (Social Security System)? Or is it a loan from the school where he's teaching? Those are the only types of loans I know that are usually deducted salary deducted. What type of loan is it? He can opt to pay it personally when he resigns. He has to contact the government agency or company (if it is) that loaned him the amount and declare that he would be paying it monthly direct from his bank account instead of getting it from the salary.

Also, I don't think they can stop him from leaving the country unless they take him to court for non-payment and he get subpoenaed by them. But before all those happen, he needs to talk to the loaning company and make some deals for continuous payment of the loan/debt. When I left the Philippines, I also had a loan from a bank that I continued paying monthly for a year even when I arrived here. So easy to do it thru online banking.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    I presume you have seen the loan documents ? (Evidently his employer must have done so, to know that he is in debt) That is an awful lot of money for someone on a teacher's salary to be able to borrow.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Tricky

Good luck to you both, but a loan is a loan, so try to pay it of before he leaves, even if it means you borrowing the cash here to send over there.
    Like many have said if you are planning to be together for ever, you must know all there is about each other, debts and all.
    Call it what you want but i am sure there are many that has been asked for this and that and i am sure there are a few still paying , as long as you are happy hat all that matters.

Yes, I have been aware of this loan for over a year. Originally he was just going to leave and then contact them to arrange repayment so I had put it to the back of my mind. The original loan was to repay property debt. He and his brother were buying a property together and they both stopped paying the premiums for their own personal reasons, fairly stupid ones IMO but I am not judging from what happened before we got together. It effectively left him with a loan of around £3000. He's not checked the outstanding balance but estimates he's just half way through to possibly £3000 but he will check that on Monday.

Because it was something pre 'me' I didn't ask too many details at the time. It's a private company he owes the money to. I have yet to discover whether it gets instant deduction from his salary or whether he pays it from his bank after his salary is paid in. I am sure I had a copy of his wage slip somewhere but can't find it to check.

Worth pointing out he stresses about things really quickly! Once he's in panic mode, getting answers is hard work! He's adorable with it in a way but at times like this it's frustrating!

The travel permit was part of the confusion ... it seems usual for teachers to get a travel permit when leaving the country. Of course, unless they start telling immigration that they are a teacher they won't know and won't ask so it's a bit silly. What he seems to actually be talking about is getting his resignation processed which he gives me the impression is one of those typically complicated Filipino things. I am used to handing in a notice and leaving at the end of the notice period with no complications. He tells me that there is this process of approving a resignation. I don't fully understand it but he says there is this process so I guess there must be.

My opinion, based on UK understandings is, he could contact the loan company, explain he is leaving teaching and set up a direct payment plan from his bank which we could cover from here. They'd agree because it's a civil matter and they know that not agreeing is refusing an offer of repayment so there is no option for them to go to court seeing as no default has been made.

Hopefully this information clears a few points?

I've never heard of travel permit for teachers. And the only process I know involved in resignation in the Philippines is getting a clearance from your superiors that you are all done with your work or tasks (i.e. work transitions to colleagues and the like) before your end date.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I am with Rayna, and like I said before I don't know of this.
    Last edited by Steve.r; 30th October 2016 at 15:35.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    Who are we to comment on the chaotic/irresponsible lifestyles of others I suppose ?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Who are we to comment on the chaotic/irresponsible lifestyles of others I suppose ?
    I don't think the OP is seeking answers/comments about that anyway..
    -=rayna.keith=-

Trusted Member
    Sorry I spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Sorry I spoke.
    Don't be

Just poking my nose in a little late here.

Leaving the Philippines with debt will not cause any problems.

Arriving in the UK with debt may or may not depending.
    Believe it or not there are debt collection agencies (of sorts) here.
    If the creditor decides to sell the debt on to an agency within the EU there's a risk of 'skip chasing' success. Better to find ways to 'ringfence' your assets.

Good luck on that one.

Still poking my nose in.

As far as I understand it, your partner needs a visa to leave PH and enter UK
    To be honest I'm not sure what happens about CFO clearance requirements these days.

Just to say that LGBT is not well understood or catered for here in the Philippines.
    I'm not sure just which way either Immigration or CFO might jump.
    There's also an age angle too to consider

OK, I can only share what some friends experienced and shared with me. Maybe I don't know all their 'insider info' but here's what they told me in 2015.
    They told me they went to CFO and CFO said yes they need a sticker and the Filipino 'fiance'
    needs to attend the Seminar.
    The Filipino same sex partner attended the seminar, got approval and received the sticker.

To be honest I just don't know where either CFO or immigration stand on this these days but better be safe than sorry IMHO and check, check and check again.
    One thing is for sure, the Immigration Officer at Philippines departure point can refuse boarding.
    May I suggest you double-check that one with the CFO

Hi raintrek,

I don't have any advice to offer unfortunately as I have limited knowledge when it comes to the visa process and the processes you are talking about in the Philippines, but I just wanted to wish you all the best and good luck with your situation. I think we all know the feeling of being separated from the one you love and having stresses about visas and protocol that we feel are outside of our control.

Actually I have just had a thought...have you approached a visa agency in the Philippines to get some advice on the matter about whether your fiancé can leave the country with debt still hanging over him? I used a company called Wise Visa Agency based in Manila to help my fiancée (then girlfriend) get a travel visa earlier in the year. I wouldn't advise you letting them prepare any paperwork as they were pretty poor in that area, but they were very knowledgeable about the process and offered good advice. They also have an office in London, and the staff there were very friendly and I could call them with any questions I had from here in the UK. Send me a PM if you want their details and the name of the contact in London I used to speak to regularly, he was invaluable to me in getting information and preparing for our visa.

Good luck!!

IMO, visa agencies of any sort in the Philippines are a liability and complete waste.

Anyone needing advice/help/support/consultation in connection with any UK visa would be best served using a UK OIC registered Immigration Advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    IMO, visa agencies of any sort in the Philippines are a liability and complete waste.

Anyone needing advice/help/support/consultation in connection with any UK visa would be best served using a UK OIC registered Immigration Advisor.
    Agreed on them being useless but the London based office were very helpful and informative and I think it could be worth looking into just to get a definite answer about the debt preventing him from leaving.

i find this hard to believe, yes teachers always getting loans , but i dont see how that stops them leaving the country i know a few with loans,and no problems leaving phils . arrangements can be made to pay by installments, if he hasn't been paying his installments then compound interest is added it soon makes the loan much higher

He visited Honkers without problem when he left NAIA and his evasive panic mode when asked questions but he needs to pay that utang huh alarm bells.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Entire debt being paid this week, it's far simpler than setting up anything else albeit more unaffordable in the short term!

Quote Originally Posted by raintrek View Post
    Entire debt being paid this week, it's far simpler than setting up anything else albeit more unaffordable in the short term!
    Well ... ... that's that settled then! Thanks for letting us know.

Good Luck!

Thread Information