Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Relocating a CR

Relocating a CR

I've decided to rearrange our ensuite shower room and CR.

Following my new design layout means moving the CR from it's current position to a new position on the opposite wall about 3 metres away.

It's probably going to be a long job as the floors here are all solid concrete. Means a lot of chipping away for pipework I guess. I could possible raise the level of the floor a couple of inches but no more than that.

Anyone here ever done that ?

I'm looking for advice/help on the practicalities.
    Time to get the job done doesn't matter but I want to understand any pitfalls before knocking out the old units and getting pipework ready for a new one.

Is this on the ground floor adjacent to an outside wall? If so, it maybe easier to run the pipe outside and then back in again.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Is this on the ground floor adjacent to an outside wall? If so, it maybe easier to run the pipe outside and then back in again.
    Nice idea, but no, it's on a second floor.
    There is an outside wall but it not currently on that outside wall which is also about 3 metres aways.
    I'd like to move it to the opposite (non outside wall)

Thanks for your interest Simon. It's not easy to describe exactly but all ideas are really appreciated.
    I'll give some serious thought to your suggestion as the principle might well work without a need to build up the existing floor.
    Hmmm food for thought....thanks

I'm a believer of the KISS principal (keep it simple, stupid) as well as being lazy
    Any chance of running the pipework along the existing wall and then boxing it in

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I'm a believer of the KISS principal (keep it simple, stupid) as well as being lazy
    Any chance of running the pipework along the existing wall and then boxing it in
    Yes, that's quite possible.....
    I'll be completely re-tiling anyway
    I'd considered running the pipework directly opposite and raising the floor level a couple of inches to get a slope.
    That would mean quite a lot a concrete..

Boxing in the pipework would work, but I reckon the slope I'd need would mean raising the toilet bowl unit quite a lot. Still possible... but might look odd.

A 2" raise and slope is a heck of a lot. Another option would be to box the pipe in at low level and then put a false wall in just behind the toilet so it stands proud 6" or so from the existing wall. The false wall could be just 4' high so it would act as a shelf behind the toilet, you could also incorporate at concealed cistern in the false wall so just the bowl was exposed in the room.

Its not a job I would start alone to be honest..
    So if its on the second floor,where does the waste pipe run too below the carzy?? Is it visible below the concrete slab down stairs?
    Need pictures but please...Flush the bloody thing first!

What about just raising the cr , like a throne ,

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    So if its on the second floor,where does the waste pipe run too below the carzy?? Is it visible below the concrete slab down stairs?
    Need pictures but please...Flush the bloody thing first!
    I've no idea fred.
    I'm not yet ready to remove/uplift the toilet to find out.

I need more research before attempting it.
    Not much so far from google....so maybe pulling out the existing toilet is the only way.
    On the positive side we still have 2 others.... on the negative side side 1 is on the first floor and the other on the 3 rd floor......not good for a night time trip

I presume it works on a similar system there as it does here, and you'll find that your bog is connected to a 4" soil pipe which in turn it connected to a 4" stack running vertically and connecting in turn to your main drain.
    Piping in anything smaller and your going to cause a 'log jam' and the only way round this is to use a macerator pump at the back of your bog. Something like a 'Saniflo' just be wary of the maximum operating temperature when specifying one of these.

Simon, you got me thinking again....
    I can see the 4" vertical pipe coming down from the 3rd floor in the corner of the 2nd floor vanity room which is directly adjacent to the 2nd floor shower room/CR

The 3rd floor shower room CR I'd directly above the 2nd floor shower room / CR
    I think I'll cut away a couple of square feet of the ceiling and see where the pipes are. Where they come from and where they go. This could well be my answer.

Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Right, that'll have to wait until my ever increasing paint job have finished........

Feeling more confident I can get this planned out now.

It should be vented to your roof, continuing straight up. There has to be some sort of vent somewhere or you'd soon notice the smell

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Simon, you got me thinking again....
    I can see the 4" vertical pipe coming down from the 3rd floor in the corner of the 2nd floor vanity room which is directly adjacent to the 2nd floor shower room/CR

The 3rd floor shower room CR I'd directly above the 2nd floor shower room / CR
    I think I'll cut away a couple of square feet of the ceiling and see where the pipes are. Where they come from and where they go. This could well be my answer.

Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Right, that'll have to wait until my ever increasing paint job have finished........

Feeling more confident I can get this planned out now.
    Do you have wooden or plywood floors on joists or a concrete steel reinforced slab?

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Do you have wooden or plywood floors on joists or a concrete steel reinforced slab?
    All I can say that the ceilings on the 2nd floor are plywood.
    No idea just how much air space there is between the ceiling and the concrete slab of the 3rd floor.

As I walk up the stairs there are storage cupboards between the 2nd floor ceiling and the underneath of the 3rd floor. These storage cupboards are around 2ft top to bottom.

Thread Information