Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Mind boggled - seeking advice!

Hell0 everyone, I hope you're all well and enjoying a bank holiday weekend with your loved ones. I stumbled across this site the other day and decided to join it to ask for some advice.

I'm 30 and last year I met a girl online who I fell in love with. She is 26 and from the Philippines. Cut a long story short we have met several times and gotten engaged in July this year when she came to visit me here in England. We are slowly planning a marriage and want to be living together in England before too long. I am slowly working my way through all the information on the process of applying for her settlement visa for when we are married. I have had a free 20 minute consultation with an immigration solicitor earlier in the week who has confirmed what I thought to be true, namely that we can marry in the Philippines and it will be legal here in England (providing it is done properly there too) and then we can apply for the visa.

I have a good understanding of the visa process from jumping through all the hoops that were laid out before us when we applied for a UK visit visa earlier in the year. I learned a lot from that and although I know it will be in greater detail I am not too concerned about it as we have lots of documentation, proof of relationship, financial requirements and so on and so forth. However one thing I didn't think about (and so didn't ask about at the solicitors meeting) was English tests!

Now my fiance speaks very good English and is excellent at reading and writing so I am sure she will pass the tests but can someone please explain to me WHAT exactly the tests are, where can we go about getting information on what to revise, booking etc etc. A friend of mine (who is married to a Russian girl) says that there is also a "life in the UK" test where you have to answer general knowledge facts about England and memorise names and dates and so on. Can anyone confirm that this is true and also what kind of material we should be revising as well as ways to book etc. Lastly, are these tests part of the visa process or do we need to arrange and pass them first before starting the visa process, then just submit the certificates?

I am so happy to have finally found the love of my life (it's freaky sometimes how similar we are, especially in humour) but thinking of this visa process, as well as planning a wedding, is making my brain go haywire. I'm trying to take things one step at a time and not get bogged down on looking at the whole process, but this is something I have no knowledge on and would appreciate some help. Also, any advice from you fine folks who have completed this process and how things went for you would be great.

Thanks for reading,

Phill

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Yes, she needs to take and pass an approved English test before she applies for a visa. Here's the latest document about that https://www.gov.uk/government/public...language-tests . You can search in the approved list for the Philippines to know where she can take it. Don't worry about the Life in the UK test yet. She'll have to do that when she's already here in the UK as a requirement for the future visa Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and citizeship.

Also, I advise for her to take the B1 test because it will be the requirement for ILR in the future to save her retaking the English test.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thanks so much for this information. It's clarified things for me greatly. Is there any recommended reading material that we could buy before the test or is her knowledge of English enough? She can read, write and speak English very well (better than some actual English people I know) so will that be sufficient to just take the test whenever she is ready?

Also, is ILR the same as citizenship or are those 2 seperate things? She can apply for that in the future when she has been living her for so many years?

Thank you very much for that advice. It has cleared things up for me. I think when she returns home in October we might look at getting this test booked in, and I will recommend she does the B1 version. Is there any recommended study material we could buy or is there no real way to study for it. Her English is very good, in reading, writing and speaking.

Also, is ILR and citizenship the same thing? She can apply for those once she has been living here for several years?

Here are some test samples. Take note that Academic training is for someone who would be for professionals (i.e. nurse, doctors, etc.) and not for settlement visas. She can also just search more in Google coz there are plenty of samples. https://www.ielts.org/about-the-test...test-questions

Anyway, she can either take the Life Skills test or the General Training..it's really up to her. But B1 level for these 2 tests would be better. You can skim through the IELTS website for further details of these tests.

She would be able to apply for ILR after 5 years or living here (2.5 years of her entry settlement visa + 2.5 years of another visa extension called FLR). Then she would be qualified for citizenship after ILR (not sure though how many years required for that because they keep on changing the law!).
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Hi Rayna, thanks for the link and the practice exams. Apologies for the double post, I didn't know they needed moderating before they published and I thought I hadn't sent the first one, haha.

Can I ask what is the difference between life skills or general training tests? Also, does she need to do both of these or just one?

Also, I know that I have to be earning over £18,600 to bring my future wife here. This is not an issue but I hear that figure increases if you have children together, is that right?? If so when does this financial commitment no longer apply? After ILR?

Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    Also, I know that I have to be earning over £18,600 to bring my future wife here. This is not an issue but I hear that figure increases if you have children together, is that right?? If so when does this financial commitment no longer apply? After ILR?
    I don't believe this to be true. Any children you have will be by decent half British and are able to be duel nationality, so they are free to live in the UK. If there are previous dependent children this might be the case, I will wait for Peter to clear this up.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Life Skills - tests speaking and listening (this is the basic requirement for settlement visas)

General Training - tests listening, speaking, reading & writing (this used to be one of the only 2 IELTS tests available until the introduction of Life Skills last year)

I think the price for both is different as well.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Ahh, ok. I thought that might be the case as I re-read the stipulation but I wasn't sure. I will wait and hopefully get confirmation on here soon. THanks for that. I was worrying that my low salary might prevent us from having children in the future but hopefully that wont be the case. On a settlement visa can you work?

Thanks Rayna, sounds like life skills will be the one to go for. We will be ok for visa requirements that we just take that one test, we don't need both?

Trusted Member
    Any children with a British passport will not need visas to come here of course... and no earnings rules attached to them either.

Yes, your WIFE can work straight away, but not a Fiancee (until after you're married).

So if you want her to be able to put money into the pot... marry her in the Philippines !

Hi Phil,

Best not to worry about ILR & citizenship at the moment as it will be a few years till you get to that stage. Life in the UK test also comes later.

One important thing you should be aware of now is to collect as much evidence as you can that you are in a genuine relationship. This will all help once you apply for your visa. Photos (dated), letters to each other, tickets to/from philippines and anything that proves time you have spent together.

It's a long time since we married in the Philippines (7 years) but back then you needed a document from the registry office here showing your intent to get married in the Philippines. This takes some time to get after you apply so best to enquire about that so you can plan dates. This document was then exchanged at the British embassy in Manilla for another document/permit which will allow you to get married. (this may have changed so either check with someone else who has done it recently (cheekee?) and also look on the British embassy manilla website. I can't advise on English tests as it wasn't a requirement when we married. However I believe you still need to get a CFO sticker in your wife's passport before you can leave the country. You may (both) need to attend seminars before they will issue it.

Don't bother paying a solicitor and DEFINITELY do not employ an agency in the Philippines to help you! Just ask on the forum as plenty of people on here have done it before you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Any children with a British passport will not need visas to come here of course... and no earnings rules attached to them either.

Yes, your WIFE can work straight away, but not a Fiancee (until after you're married).

So if you want her to be able to put money into the pot... marry her in the Philippines !
    Thats great to hear, thanks. I thought that the financial requirements applied to any children that we might have together and that had me worried as it would essentially mean we couldn't have children until I secured a better paying job. Good to know that isn't the case, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Hi Phil,

Best not to worry about ILR & citizenship at the moment as it will be a few years till you get to that stage. Life in the UK test also comes later.

One important thing you should be aware of now is to collect as much evidence as you can that you are in a genuine relationship. This will all help once you apply for your visa. Photos (dated), letters to each other, tickets to/from philippines and anything that proves time you have spent together.

It's a long time since we married in the Philippines (7 years) but back then you needed a document from the registry office here showing your intent to get married in the Philippines. This takes some time to get after you apply so best to enquire about that so you can plan dates. This document was then exchanged at the British embassy in Manilla for another document/permit which will allow you to get married. (this may have changed so either check with someone else who has done it recently (cheekee?) and also look on the British embassy manilla website. I can't advise on English tests as it wasn't a requirement when we married. However I believe you still need to get a CFO sticker in your wife's passport before you can leave the country. You may (both) need to attend seminars before they will issue it.

Don't bother paying a solicitor and DEFINITELY do not employ an agency in the Philippines to help you! Just ask on the forum as plenty of people on here have done it before you.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the information. i don't know about the registry office thing here but I know that I need to attend the embassy in Manila and get an Affidavit that allows me to get married over there. I will have to have a look in to this in more detail. I might even create a thread asking of the steps required before I marry over there and see what everyone says. What is a CFO sticker exactly? I haven't heard of that.

I won't be paying for a solicitor but I have found one that offers telephone advice when needed for £150. I MIGHT take them up on that. I had a free consultation with them a few days ago and they seemed very competent. I won't be using a service in the Philippines ever again. I hired one earlier in the year to help us with a visit visa application. What a waste of money. They constantly harrassed my girlfriend, asking her for this information and then more the next day. Why they didn't ask for it all in one go I don't know. Then they asked her to doctor her wage slips so it shows she earns more money than she actually does. She brought this up to me and so I was able to tell her not to do it. I then demanded someone else work on our case but even then I had to go back through the application and re-write most of it (they listed down myinformation incorrectly and listed family members wrong etc. etc. as well as poor addition for costs and spelling) so I learned a hard lesson there. The visa was granted but through no help from the agency. I managed to get a partial refund for the shoddy service which I let my girlfriend keep rather than send back here. The only reason I didn't ask for a FULL refund was that there was a branch of this agency in London and there was one member of staff there who was very helpful.

Trusted Member
    You don't need anything from a British Registry Office now... just the documents listed as a requirement for your Affirmation/Affidavit form (whichever applies) at the British Embassy in Manila, for which an appointment will be required.

See their website for latest updates etc.

I went through all this last September. Easy. No worries.

You don't need anything from a British Registry Office now... just the documents listed as a requirement for your Affirmation/Affidavit form (whichever applies) at the British Embassy in Manila, for which an appointment will be required.

Ooh, can I pick your brain on the process then if you don't mind. I was hoping someone here could advice me if they had done it recently. So all I have to do before the marriage itself is go to the embassy (with all the documents listed on the .gov website) and make my affirmation? When this is done do I need to get married within a certain length of time? I am back in Philippines in February so might as well do it then if there is no time limit. Also, how long in advance did you need to make the appointment? When that process is done I can legally marry in the Philippines? I just need to then organise the actual wedding, haha?

Nice to know it got easier!

In fact when I got married June 2014 I didn't need to go the registry office as it had just the previous month changed. But as it is with these sort of things, nobody knew. Even the lady in the registry office told me, off course they arenot going to do away with you needing to come here, nice little income for us.
    So I went anyway and did what I had to. Good job I did, because although they were aware in some places of the change in Philippines, the middle of nowhere my wife comes from didnt know.

Off course they all know now.

All I advise is you check everything you get told, either by asking here. Or researching on the internet. As things change all the time.

It can be a big headache all the paperwork... But unless you want to throw money away I wouldn't pay anyone to do the work for you.....

Trusted Member
    Ooh, can I pick your brain on the process then if you don't mind. I was hoping someone here could advice me if they had done it recently. So all I have to do before the marriage itself is go to the embassy (with all the documents listed on the .gov website) and make my affirmation? When this is done do I need to get married within a certain length of time? I am back in Philippines in February so might as well do it then if there is no time limit. Also, how long in advance did you need to make the appointment? When that process is done I can legally marry in the Philippines? I just need to then organise the actual wedding, haha?

I think I made my appointment (online), maybe a week ahead ?
    (Much of this stuff I've forgotten already... being a stupid absent-minded old bloke).

I know I managed to fit everything within a 30 day 'holiday'.

I would urge you to keep up to date by consulting the official government websites... both British and Philippines ones.

Your partner is probably best placed to collect her required documents, arrange wedding venues, etc.

Correct documents in hand... and a few pesos in the Philippines, and there should be nothing to get worried about. Just take plenty of copies of each important document (3 or 4).

Depending on the time of year getting an appointment might at short notice might be difficult.

If it's a decision to get married in the Philippines then you really need to make a schedule and work backwards from that. Check the British Embassy booking webpage and see how it looks.

In principle I'd suggest 21 days in the Philippines to get married. This gives time for any delays.
    It's possible to get done in 14 days, but this requires a really slick project plan and some good luck to avoid any issues. Not much happens very fast here.

Your Fiancee can get a lot of preparations done and dusted before you land.

If time off work is going to be an issue then I'd suggest making 2 shorter trips. First trip to secure the marriage licence, second trip to get married. The marriage licence takes a minimum of 10 days depending.
    Your Fiancee can check schedules etc to optimise and secure in 10 days with no delays.
    The licence will be valid for 120 days anywhere in the Philippines.

I think I made my appointment (online), maybe a week ahead ?
    (Much of this stuff I've forgotten already... being a stupid absent-minded old bloke).

I know I managed to fit everything within a 30 day 'holiday'.

I would urge you to keep up to date by consulting the official government websites... both British and Philippines ones.

Your partner is probably best placed to collect her required documents, arrange wedding venues, etc.

Correct documents in hand... and a few pesos in the Philippines, and there should be nothing to get worried about. Just take plenty of copies of each important document (3 or 4).
    Thanks for that. Hopefully I can do that on my next trip and then just aplpy for the rest of the things closer to the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Depending on the time of year getting an appointment might at short notice might be difficult.

If it's a decision to get married in the Philippines then you really need to make a schedule and work backwards from that. Check the British Embassy booking webpage and see how it looks.

In principle I'd suggest 21 days in the Philippines to get married. This gives time for any delays.
    It's possible to get done in 14 days, but this requires a really slick project plan and some good luck to avoid any issues. Not much happens very fast here.

Your Fiancee can get a lot of preparations done and dusted before you land.

If time off work is going to be an issue then I'd suggest making 2 shorter trips. First trip to secure the marriage licence, second trip to get married. The marriage licence takes a minimum of 10 days depending.
    Your Fiancee can check schedules etc to optimise and secure in 10 days with no delays.
    The licence will be valid for 120 days anywhere in the Philippines.
    Thank you for this information. Do we BOTH need to be present to get the marriage license or can my fiance get it before I arrive for the wedding? I don't know if I can afford multiple trips back and forth.

Trusted Member
    You'll both need to present yourselves to the registrar... before any licence processing can begin.

(I'm referring to Civil Marriage, incidentally).

You'll both need to present yourselves to the registrar... before any licence processing can begin.

(I'm referring to Civil Marriage, incidentally).
    It will be a civil marriage (non-church) for sure as neither of us are particularly religious. I might have to arrive early before the wedding and get this done. Can somebody also confirm that I understand the process of things we NEED to do before the marriage as the following:

1. Affirm or affidavit at English Embassy (take all my personal documents) Can I do this in February for a wedding in July?

2. Get marriage license from the Filipino government

Are these 2 things the only things we need to do other than organise the actual wedding itself?

It will be a civil marriage (non-church) for sure as neither of us are particularly religious. I might have to arrive early before the wedding and get this done. Can somebody also confirm that I understand the process of things we NEED to do before the marriage as the following:

1. Affirm or affidavit at English Embassy (take all my personal documents) Can I do this in February for a wedding in July?

2. Get marriage license from the Filipino government

Are these 2 things the only things we need to do other than organise the actual wedding itself?
    In principle yes.

There are details.....as always...

Do be aware that some authorities issuing the Marriage Licence also request sight of the CENOMAR of both parties. Mean the foreign partner also.
    Means just one more thing to check. Your Fiancee can do this. It's not a legal requirement but if the authorities demand it then you must obey.

You might also be requested to attend the "Pre-Marriage Seminar" counselling sessions prior to being allowed to be married. Have your Fiancee check this at the place you intend to marry and ask when you apply for
    the marriage license.
    You should also ask about using a marriage contract expedite service to secure the marriage certificate asap otherwise you could end up waiting for ages (months) which#
    is something you don't need if waiting to apply for a visa.

After you first apply for the license there is a mandatory 10 day waiting period while the marriage bans are published. Remember this.

How much time off work can you realsitically secure for this wedding ???

Generally, with good organisation, and things go fairly smooth along the way, you should have no problems getting married within a 20-30 day timeframe.
    I'm sure there are many who will say you can achieve it in only 14 days, and in my opinion that can be done if you are very lucky and the organisation is real slick.
    Most folks will tell you that 21 days is enough time, and I think on balance that's a reasonable time without major problems, but not much time left for honeymoon.

I suggest you always check the latest information for paperwork needed etc but in principle to apply for the Marriage License you should consider having the following:-

Your birth certificate
    Your passport
    Your British Embassy Affidavit
    Your NSO CENOMAR
    Your Divorce decree asbsolute (if applicable)

Certificate of 'Pre-Marriage Seminar' (if needed, please check well beforehand)

Her N.S.O. birth certificate (This should be fresh from NSO on latest type of security paper. Check)
    Her Passport (or other appropriate ID)
    Her Barangay clearance (if needed, please check well beforehand)
    Her community tax certificate (often called Cedula)
    Her postal I.D. Address
    Her CENOMAR
    Her Parents signed advice form (if under 25 years age)
    Her Parents I.D.

Seems a lot. So much better your fiancee will double check exactly the documentary requirements from the place and those people who will administer the marriage.

Not worth trying to avoid a few hundred Peso.
    Just spend it and if the docs don't get demanded, just smile. You had them in your back pocket anyway.

In principle yes.

There are details.....as always...

Do be aware that some authorities issuing the Marriage Licence also request sight of the CENOMAR of both parties. Mean the foreign partner also.
    Means just one more thing to check. Your Fiancee can do this. It's not a legal requirement but if the authorities demand it then you must obey.

You might also be requested to attend the "Pre-Marriage Seminar" counselling sessions prior to being allowed to be married. Have your Fiancee check this at the place you intend to marry and ask when you apply for
    the marriage license.
    You should also ask about using a marriage contract expedite service to secure the marriage certificate asap otherwise you could end up waiting for ages (months) which#
    is something you don't need if waiting to apply for a visa.

After you first apply for the license there is a mandatory 10 day waiting period while the marriage bans are published. Remember this.

How much time off work can you realsitically secure for this wedding ???
    I think that I could get a month off work realistically. Thats half paid and half unpaid. I don't get many holidays with my job. Should this be enough time if we have a date set for the start of the month and start getting the paperwork the day I arrive?
    Generally, with good organisation, and things go fairly smooth along the way, you should have no problems getting married within a 20-30 day timeframe.
    I'm sure there are many who will say you can achieve it in only 14 days, and in my opinion that can be done if you are very lucky and the organisation is real slick.
    Most folks will tell you that 21 days is enough time, and I think on balance that's a reasonable time without major problems, but not much time left for honeymoon.

I suggest you always check the latest information for paperwork needed etc but in principle to apply for the Marriage License you should consider having the following:-

Your birth certificate
    Your passport
    Your British Embassy Affidavit
    Your NSO CENOMAR
    Your Divorce decree asbsolute (if applicable)

Certificate of 'Pre-Marriage Seminar' (if needed, please check well beforehand)

Her N.S.O. birth certificate (This should be fresh from NSO on latest type of security paper. Check)
    Her Passport (or other appropriate ID)
    Her Barangay clearance (if needed, please check well beforehand)
    Her community tax certificate (often called Cedula)
    Her postal I.D. Address
    Her CENOMAR
    Her Parents signed advice form (if under 25 years age)
    Her Parents I.D.

Seems a lot. So much better your fiancee will double check exactly the documentary requirements from the place and those people who will administer the marriage.

Not worth trying to avoid a few hundred Peso.
    Just spend it and if the docs don't get demanded, just smile. You had them in your back pocket anyway.
    Thanks for this list, it's helpful. Most of those documents will be fine, but where do I get MY NSO CENOMAR from?? Also, what office do we need to go to to request a marriage license?

I think we are going to try and go for a wedding in February. Neither of us wants to hang around. I hope that gives us enough time to get a good location and caterer and then a month to get the documents before the wedding itself.

Trusted Member
    Try to have a 30 day stay in the Phils. That is the maximum allowed there without a visa.

It is your partner who needs to get a CENOMAR from NSO, not you. She will also need a Cedula.

The civil ceremony would normally take place in a local (partner's ?) town/city hall . Handily, this is also normally the location of the Registrar's office.

Your partner just needs to go along there ASAP to find out what their requirements from each party will be. They will often give out a printed list.

Some Filipino documents are available online now.

Google is your friend.

It's true that the foreign partner doesn't legally need a CENOMAR. However many authorities are demanding it.

Your Fiancee needs to check the actual paperwork at the place of marriage. Everything needs to be checked.

Delays due to lack of documents isn't something you need.

The precise documentary requirement varies .....depending

Do you still need to go to the pre marriage seminar before they allow you to get married? The person taking ours told us it's a waste of time unless you are teenagers. For people our age we should know about the birds and bees etc etc...

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Do you still need to go to the pre marriage seminar before they allow you to get married? The person taking ours told us it's a waste of time unless you are teenagers. For people our age we should know about the birds and bees etc etc...
    I found it very amusing and entertaining, enjoyed it

Not sure if it is meant as an amusement. It is meant to teach the morals of marriage. This is something that is held in high regard by the culture in the Philippines. Not a joke imo
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information