Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Trusted Member
    You don't need anything from a British Registry Office now... just the documents listed as a requirement for your Affirmation/Affidavit form (whichever applies) at the British Embassy in Manila, for which an appointment will be required.

See their website for latest updates etc.

I went through all this last September. Easy. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    You don't need anything from a British Registry Office now... just the documents listed as a requirement for your Affirmation/Affidavit form (whichever applies) at the British Embassy in Manila, for which an appointment will be required.

Ooh, can I pick your brain on the process then if you don't mind. I was hoping someone here could advice me if they had done it recently. So all I have to do before the marriage itself is go to the embassy (with all the documents listed on the .gov website) and make my affirmation? When this is done do I need to get married within a certain length of time? I am back in Philippines in February so might as well do it then if there is no time limit. Also, how long in advance did you need to make the appointment? When that process is done I can legally marry in the Philippines? I just need to then organise the actual wedding, haha?

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    Ooh, can I pick your brain on the process then if you don't mind. I was hoping someone here could advice me if they had done it recently. So all I have to do before the marriage itself is go to the embassy (with all the documents listed on the .gov website) and make my affirmation? When this is done do I need to get married within a certain length of time? I am back in Philippines in February so might as well do it then if there is no time limit. Also, how long in advance did you need to make the appointment? When that process is done I can legally marry in the Philippines? I just need to then organise the actual wedding, haha?

I think I made my appointment (online), maybe a week ahead ?
    (Much of this stuff I've forgotten already... being a stupid absent-minded old bloke).

I know I managed to fit everything within a 30 day 'holiday'.

I would urge you to keep up to date by consulting the official government websites... both British and Philippines ones.

Your partner is probably best placed to collect her required documents, arrange wedding venues, etc.

Correct documents in hand... and a few pesos in the Philippines, and there should be nothing to get worried about. Just take plenty of copies of each important document (3 or 4).

Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    Depending on the time of year getting an appointment might at short notice might be difficult.

If it's a decision to get married in the Philippines then you really need to make a schedule and work backwards from that. Check the British Embassy booking webpage and see how it looks.

In principle I'd suggest 21 days in the Philippines to get married. This gives time for any delays.
    It's possible to get done in 14 days, but this requires a really slick project plan and some good luck to avoid any issues. Not much happens very fast here.

Your Fiancee can get a lot of preparations done and dusted before you land.

If time off work is going to be an issue then I'd suggest making 2 shorter trips. First trip to secure the marriage licence, second trip to get married. The marriage licence takes a minimum of 10 days depending.
    Your Fiancee can check schedules etc to optimise and secure in 10 days with no delays.
    The licence will be valid for 120 days anywhere in the Philippines.

I think I made my appointment (online), maybe a week ahead ?
    (Much of this stuff I've forgotten already... being a stupid absent-minded old bloke).

I know I managed to fit everything within a 30 day 'holiday'.

I would urge you to keep up to date by consulting the official government websites... both British and Philippines ones.

Your partner is probably best placed to collect her required documents, arrange wedding venues, etc.

Correct documents in hand... and a few pesos in the Philippines, and there should be nothing to get worried about. Just take plenty of copies of each important document (3 or 4).
    Thanks for that. Hopefully I can do that on my next trip and then just aplpy for the rest of the things closer to the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Depending on the time of year getting an appointment might at short notice might be difficult.

If it's a decision to get married in the Philippines then you really need to make a schedule and work backwards from that. Check the British Embassy booking webpage and see how it looks.

In principle I'd suggest 21 days in the Philippines to get married. This gives time for any delays.
    It's possible to get done in 14 days, but this requires a really slick project plan and some good luck to avoid any issues. Not much happens very fast here.

Your Fiancee can get a lot of preparations done and dusted before you land.

If time off work is going to be an issue then I'd suggest making 2 shorter trips. First trip to secure the marriage licence, second trip to get married. The marriage licence takes a minimum of 10 days depending.
    Your Fiancee can check schedules etc to optimise and secure in 10 days with no delays.
    The licence will be valid for 120 days anywhere in the Philippines.
    Thank you for this information. Do we BOTH need to be present to get the marriage license or can my fiance get it before I arrive for the wedding? I don't know if I can afford multiple trips back and forth.

Nice to know it got easier!

In fact when I got married June 2014 I didn't need to go the registry office as it had just the previous month changed. But as it is with these sort of things, nobody knew. Even the lady in the registry office told me, off course they arenot going to do away with you needing to come here, nice little income for us.
    So I went anyway and did what I had to. Good job I did, because although they were aware in some places of the change in Philippines, the middle of nowhere my wife comes from didnt know.

Off course they all know now.

All I advise is you check everything you get told, either by asking here. Or researching on the internet. As things change all the time.

It can be a big headache all the paperwork... But unless you want to throw money away I wouldn't pay anyone to do the work for you.....

Thread Information