Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Exclamation Applying for British Passport > Question Regarding Name on Phil Passport and Naturalisation Cert.

My wife is just about to apply for her first British passport.

Her Philippine passport has her name as Maria Mendoza Jackson and her British Naturalisation Certificate shows her name as Maria Jackson.

Will this difference be a problem and result in the application being rejected?

(name has been changed for privacy)

Will this difference be a problem and result in the application being rejected?
    If you send in her Filipino passport for I.D purposes they will tell you that the Brit PP has to be in exactly the same name...They will tell you that all travel docs need to match.
    Yes..It can cause problems..It caused us a lot of issues early this year which you can read all about
    here... http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....=brit+passport

Hi Fred, many thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

I'm quite happy to have the British passport in her full name 'Maria Mendoza Jackson'.
    It's the fact that the naturalization certificate does not show her middle name that concerns me.

Yes.
    As Fred states, there are likely to be issues.

Strictly speaking the name on the Naturalisation Certificate, Philippine Passport and British Passport should all match.

Personally I'd discuss/check with the UK Passport Adviceline for their suggestions as so many folks have been instructed to firstly change the name on the Filipino passport. In reality this is just almost impossible to achieve unless due to reported marriage. The UK Passport office must surely know this.

Even though the difference in personal detail is rather small, both UKVI and the passport office can get very cranky.

If all else fails here's some food for thought (discuss as worst case scenario with both UKVI and the Passport Office)

- Change name via a deed poll before passport application.
    Historically this has a better than 50/50 chance to be accepted by the Passport Office

- Try to convince UKVI to officially endorse and accept change to the name officially indicated on the certificate. Be advised that it's often the case that UKBA may add a name-change endorsement but not accept the evidence of 'good reason'. These cases will not normally be accepted by the Passport Office for passport applications.

Hopefully you can update the forum on the outcome.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Good luck New Shoes, you should get there in the end, keep us posted

Thanks for the replies. Again, very much appreciated! I will try to contact UK Passport Advice line and discuss with them.

It seems that after all the hoops we've had to jump through from fiancé visa to naturalisation we still have another obstacle to get over before fully completing the journey

Quote Originally Posted by New Shoes View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Again, very much appreciated! I will try to contact UK Passport Advice line and discuss with them.

It seems that after all the hoops we've had to jump through from fiancé visa to naturalisation we still have another obstacle to get over before fully completing the journey
    Keep your cool when you call them..Unless you are lucky there are a right load of arrogant jobsworths on that help line... I nearly strangled a couple of them right through the phone line!!!

Well.........
    I called the Passport Advice Line and explained that wife wants to apply for a British passport and that her Naturalisation Certificate shows her christian name and married surname only and that the Philippine passport shows her christian name, middle name and married surname.

The guy I spoke to stated that this should not cause any problems. He suggested that I explain that the naturalisation certificate came back to us with her middle missing and that the Philippine passport shows the full name which is the name to be used on the British passport.

I stated my concerns regarding the middle name a couple more times and he was adamant that as long as the passport application form has the full name, all will be OK. No need for to include marriage certificate etc.

From what I've read recently, this seems too easy.. ????????

Well.........
    I called the Passport Advice Line and explained that wife wants to apply for a British passport and that her Naturalisation Certificate shows her christian name and married surname only and that the Philippine passport shows her christian name, middle name and married surname.

The guy I spoke to stated that this should not cause any problems. He suggested that I explain that the naturalisation certificate came back to us with her middle missing and that the Philippine passport shows the full name which is the name to be used on the British passport.

I stated my concerns regarding the middle name a couple more times and he was adamant that as long as the passport application form has the full name, all will be OK. No need for to include marriage certificate etc.

Good news, just do as they say. Might be worth putting a covering letter in explaining the situation and telling them of the phone call including date and time

Yes, I hope it's not too good to be true!

Also, good idea regarding the covering letter and time / date of call (also got the name of the person I spoke to)

Bit of an update in case anyone is following..............

Received the original documents back from HM Passport Office. They kept one of the two passport photos we sent.

Five days ago we received a letter inviting us to make an appointment at a HM Passport Office for wife's interview.

Yesterday wife had her interview, she said it was quite informal and relaxed. Now we just have to wait and see if it was successful. We were told a passport will be sent out 4 to 10 days working days' time.

Fingers crossed ...............

Bit of an update in case anyone is following..............

Received the original documents back from HM Passport Office. They kept one of the two passport photos we sent.

Five days ago we received a letter inviting us to make an appointment at a HM Passport Office for wife's interview.

Yesterday wife had her interview, she said it was quite informal and relaxed. Now we just have to wait and see if it was successful. We were told a passport will be sent out 4 to 10 days working days' time.

Fingers crossed ...............
    That's absolutely brilliant news
    Well done and congrats to your wife on securing her British Passport.

So it seems there were no issues at all in your case ?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    That's absolutely brilliant news
    Well done and congrats to your wife on securing her British Passport.

So it seems there were no issues at all in your case ?
    Yes, it's looking good so far! Many thanks for your best wishes.

The whole process thus far has been very smooth and pretty quick too.

We won't be able to fully relax until we have the British passport in our hands.

Will keep you posted!!

Well.........

My wifes middle name differed on our marriage cert compared to her Phil passport however an explanatory letter to the passport office was accepted and her British passport was issued as per the marriage certificate so it can be done.

Another update……..

SUCCESS!! Wife's British passport arrived today.

So we had the interview last Thursday, the 14th and got the passport today, the 18th … pretty quick!!

I'm pleased to say that my concerns regarding my wife's middle name being missing from her Naturalisation Certificate came to nought.

Another update……..

SUCCESS!! Wife's British passport arrived today.

So we had the interview last Thursday, the 14th and got the passport today, the 18th … pretty quick!!
    ... that is quick - the Passport Office has excelled itself for once - CONGRATULATIONS all round, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by New Shoes563151
    I'm pleased to say that my concerns regarding my wife's middle name being missing from her Naturalisation Certificate came to nought.
    'll be a BIG relief too, I'll bet!

Agreed! As you can imagine, we're both over the moon..

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Agreed! As you can imagine, we're both over the moon..
    Success at last, great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Success at last, great stuff
    Thanks Michael !!!

Thread Information