Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Retaining Dual Citizenship ( lost the post )

Oh deary me,... we need an appointment at the Philippine embassy to get my wife's dual citizen ceremony, but London is a bit far away. I'm sure it was on this site that a member advised us that the Embassy sends a team up north , I think Newcastle to perform these ceremonies. I remember it was going to take place around this time of year but I cannot find the post that said what day it was !!
    Anybody know when this is happening ?

Jonny

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyivy View Post
    Oh deary me,... we need an appointment at the Philippine embassy to get my wife's dual citizen ceremony, but London is a bit far away. I'm sure it was on this site that a member advised us that the Embassy sends a team up north , I think Newcastle to perform these ceremonies. I remember it was going to take place around this time of year but I cannot find the post that said what day it was !!
    Anybody know when this is happening ?

Jonny
    If you do go to London you don't have to make an appointment, just take NSR yellow copies of Marriage and Birth certificates and you can fill in the forms at the Embassy followed by the ceremony.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    If you do go to London you don't have to make an appointment, just take NSR yellow copies of Marriage and Birth certificates and you can fill in the forms at the Embassy followed by the ceremony.
    Yes, this is what Rose did a few months ago. Just turn up on the day in the morning and they hold citizenship oath taking 'sessions' each afternoon. Take the old Ph passport, they will keep it and send your good lady a new one in a few months time. I can't promise this occurs every single day though, Rose's experience was just the one day.

Any day Monday to Friday we checked it out, due to go ourselves within the next few weeks because Maritess passport expires early February 2017.

When going to the Embassy for Philippine citizenship oath taking be sure your wife already her British passport.
    Being without any travel documents for around 3 months or more can often be too much of a risk.
    Food for thought

Don't forget to take a pre paid special delivery envelope that you can self address with you (available from the post office). The embassy will then use this to post your passport to you when it's ready. Also remember to take cash including coins for the photocopy machine.

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Don't forget to take a pre paid special delivery envelope that you can self address with you (available from the post office). The embassy will then use this to post your passport to you when it's ready. Also remember to take cash including coins for the photocopy machine.
    Yes good advice.
    Especially about coins for the often needed photocopier

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    When going to the Embassy for Philippine citizenship oath taking be sure your wife already her British passport.
    Being without any travel documents for around 3 months or more can often be too much of a risk.
    Food for thought
    Agreed. Rose already had her UK passport so has been using that recently anyway. She just did the ESTA visa waiver thing with her UK passport for our next holiday to the US as she 'lost' her 10 year multi entry visit visa for the US from her old Ph passport. I think she will only use the Ph passport if she really needs to in future.

Respected Member
    I had a look at thier webside and indeed they are coming to Newcastle,..in fact they will be coming to Edinburgh at the end of this year.
    No problems with passports,... my wife is a British citizen with a full UK passport and also has a newly expired Philippines one too.
    Not really in any hurry to do the dual citizen thing but she would like to retain it one day.

Thanks for all the replies,

Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyivy View Post
    Not really in any hurry to do the dual citizen thing but she would like to retain it one day.
    Yes, there are benefits to do it, eventually.

I thought from your opening post that you needed to do it pretty soon. Anyway, better to check if the Embassy Outreach programme actually does the Oath Taking in previous years they haven't done.

Quick question........
    We're hoping to get my wife's dual citizenship once she gets her British passport.
    We've only recently had a new Philippine passport issued to reflect her change to our married name.
    Once the re-acquisition of Filipino citizenship ceremony is complete, why does the Philippine passport have to be sent off to be re-issued? What change is recorded on the passport? A note saying the person is a dual citizen???

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by New Shoes View Post
    Quick question........
    We're hoping to get my wife's dual citizenship once she gets her British passport.
    We've only recently had a new Philippine passport issued to reflect her change to our married name.
    Once the re-acquisition of Filipino citizenship ceremony is complete, why does the Philippine passport have to be sent off to be re-issued? What change is recorded on the passport? A note saying the person is a dual citizen???

Thanks.
    The only change i can see on my wifes Philippine passport is that it is issued in London with no note saying the person is a dual citizen. One would assume that the passport is sent off to be reissued as they don't actually issue them in London.

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    The only change i can see on my wifes Philippine passport is that it is issued in London with no note saying the person is a dual citizen. One would assume that the passport is sent off to be reissued as they don't actually issue them in London.
    It's the 'London' that identifies your wife is a dual citizen because she's living in the UK.

My Mrs had two passports for years...One day she made it official and became a dual citizen..

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    It's the 'London' that identifies your wife is a dual citizen because she's living in the UK.

I don't think that's the case. My passport which was renewed in London states the same thing, and yet I don't have a dual citizenship yet.

Technically, once your wife/partner gets a British citizenship, her Filipino passport would be null and void. But since there's no one checking in the Philippine Embassy for such (not even a process or the need to report such changes), they just renew your passport after you re-acquire the Filipino citizenship.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

I don't think that's the case. My passport which was renewed in London states the same thing, and yet I don't have a dual citizenship yet.

Technically, once your wife/partner gets a British citizenship, her Filipino passport would be null and void. But since there's no one checking in the Philippine Embassy for such (not even a process or the need to report such changes), they just renew your passport after you re-acquire the Filipino citizenship.
    Quite right Rayna.
    As soon as a Filipino takes the oath for British Citizenship then according to Filipino laws their Filipino Citizenship has been lost and they are no longer eligible for the passport.

The last oath taken must be Philipinnes under a special law that allows reaquisition and retention of Filipino citizenship.

As we all know many folks have their British Passports in addition to their current/old Filipino passport. There are no checks in the system. The passport may even get renewed.
    However technical it's not a valid passport.
    Technically the holder is no longer a Philippine citizen.
    This may hold issues

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

Thank you for a more positive explanation Rayna.

Thanks for the informative replies guys!
    Food for thought........... For the moment we're concentrating on hoping that the current British application goes through smoothly....... fingers crossed!!

Thread Information