Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Lightbulb Gas~Filled Balloons To Treat Obesity?

http://www.livescience.com/54858-bal...ight-loss.html

Hmm, ... more "hot air" from the Yanks who, at the BEST of times, tend to be way too fond of stuffing themselves.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 25th May 2016 at 00:26. Reason: Shortened

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Interesting Arthur, but does it actually work

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Interesting Arthur, but does it actually work
    Ah well ... ... the Yanks do have a reputation for being blowhards, so I'm inclined to be a wee bit sceptical.

Trusted Member
    This US study of 185 obese patients did show that they lost ~ 7% of body weight ( 2/3 losing at least 5% ), compared to 181 " controls " who lost ~ 3.5% ( 1/3 losing at least 5% ). Both groups had help from dieticians.

Using balloons with nitrogen gas ( no laughing matter ) is new, but fluid-filled balloons have been tried previously.

Bariatric surgery ( stomach bands / bypass / partial removal ), and perhaps in future bariatric endoscopy ( with balloons ), are for people who are seriously overweight ( BMI 40+, or less if they also have diabetes / other illness ).

Such surgery may dramatically affect type 2 diabetes - allowing other treatments to be stopped, as well as losing weight. Of the ~ 400 million worldwide with diabetes, less than half control their blood sugar properly by changing diet / exercise / drugs. Weight loss surgery may be cheaper than treating all future health problems of uncontrolled diabetes.

We know the world’s population is getting heavier ( http://bit.ly/20BOWXa ), and preventing the increase is proving hard. For MOST obese people, lifestyle change, diet and increased physical activity are still the way to lose weight - with all the resulting health benefits. Drug treatment / surgical management may be tried for the rest.

It doesn’t help when medical " experts " disagree on the best ways to lose weight. In the UK , the " National Obesity Forum " suggests eating fat, and " ignoring calories ", could help cut obesity and diabetes. " Public Health England ", and others, focus on " fewer calories, less fat and sugar ". No wonder there is confusion .

The best advice is probably still " moderation in all things " .

Alan, you say that fluid balloons have been used before,but maybe gas filled tend to float in the stomach, whereas the fluid ones would sink. Possibly (and just guessing) the fluid ones were less successful because they were heavier and made the user feel less comfortable. Any thoughts ?
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Alan, you say that fluid balloons have been used before,but maybe gas filled tend to float in the stomach, whereas the fluid ones would sink. Possibly (and just guessing) the fluid ones were less successful because they were heavier and made the user feel less comfortable. Any thoughts ?
    The liquid-filled balloons may well be less comfortable. There have been " side effects ", like ulcers, severe nausea / vomiting, and spontaneous deflation. The gas-filled balloons do appear to cause relatively mild stomach cramps and nausea.

The various balloon devices available come at a cost, and just like any other attempts at weight loss, need patient motivation. They’re also only intended for a few months’ use, in patients with severe obesity where nothing else has worked. More studies are needed to show how effective they are at long-term weight management.

Despite eating unlimited amounts of my favourite foods I'm still loosing both kg's and inches

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Despite eating unlimited amounts of my favourite foods I'm still loosing both kg's and inches
    I lost a stone in weight when I lived there Peter and I still managed to eat my roast dinners and Cauliflower cheese ect also good English breakfasts and I still lost the weight, walked a lot and the heat also contributed but felt really well

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I lost a stone in weight when I lived there Peter and I still managed to eat my roast dinners and Cauliflower cheese ect also good English breakfasts and I still lost the weight, walked a lot and the heat also contributed but felt really well
    I never been skinny, but I was quite slim up to my 40's
    I managed to continue playing rugby until the age of 39

I've lost nearly 2 stones and now have the same 34" waistline I had at 35

The downside is that I'm not able to continue with my daily cycling.
    I now walk at least 2 hours every day. Sometimes more.

Here in the city I get more tempted to eat-out. I must put a brake on that habit soon

For me life is good, I'm learning to live with those things that used to irk me.

Here in the city I get more tempted to eat-out. I must put a brake on that habit soon

For me life is good, I'm learning to live with those things that used to irk me.
    's GREAT to know, Peter ... keep up the good work!

Nice to hear Peter, I'm still toying with the idea of living in Philippines again and even though I'm fit and healthy it's the thought of no NHS that stalls me

Thread Information