Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar

Schengen visa confusion

I am a Philippines passport holder but I am married to a british citizen. I hold a residence permit card for UK that has permit type of “Spouse/Partner leave to remain” and I am a bit confused as I applied for a Schengen visa last year in Spain. This year, my husband and I are planning to go Czech Republic or Italy, I have read that I do not need visa for Czech Republic, is it true?

For Italy I have read that I do not need a visa if on my residence card, the permit type is "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National” I am unsure if it is the same as what my permit type is (“Spouse/Partner leave to remain”), can you please clarify? And also if it is possible to know all the Schengen countries that we can go and I do not need to apply for visa?

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    I am a Philippines passport holder but I am married to a british citizen. I hold a residence permit card for UK that has permit type of “Spouse/Partner leave to remain” and I am a bit confused as I applied for a Schengen visa last year in Spain. This year, my husband and I are planning to go Czech Republic or Italy, I have read that I do not need visa for Czech Republic, is it true?

For Italy I have read that I do not need a visa if on my residence card, the permit type is "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National” I am unsure if it is the same as what my permit type is (“Spouse/Partner leave to remain”), can you please clarify? And also if it is possible to know all the Schengen countries that we can go and I do not need to apply for visa?
    Hiya Jen,

The Czech Republic is indeed part of the Schegen area so like Spain you need to apply for a Schengen visa to visit and as you have done this before then you know the procedure.

All Schengen countries require a visa to enter but once you enter initial country of your application then you can travel to any others under the validity of your visa and just to note my wife applied for her 4th schengen last month with the French Embassy and after initial 6 month validity on previous ones she has now been issued with one valid for 2 years, people have posted here that the French are the best for issuing longer visa especially if they see that you have used previous visa correctly and they don't necessarily have to be previously issued by the French Embassy.

The residence card of a family member of an EEA National is not the same as the spouse/partner leave to remain but basically is for a British Citizen who has lived with their family member ie: spouse in another european country then exercised their rights after a certain time to be able to settle in the UK.

Hope that clarifies things...

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    Hiya Jen,

The Czech Republic is indeed part of the Schegen area so like Spain you need to apply for a Schengen visa to visit and as you have done this before then you know the procedure.

All Schengen countries require a visa to enter but once you enter initial country of your application then you can travel to any others under the validity of your visa and just to note my wife applied for her 4th schengen last month with the French Embassy and after initial 6 month validity on previous ones she has now been issued with one valid for 2 years, people have posted here that the French are the best for issuing longer visa especially if they see that you have used previous visa correctly and they don't necessarily have to be previously issued by the French Embassy.

The residence card of a family member of an EEA National is not the same as the spouse/partner leave to remain but basically is for a British Citizen who has lived with their family member ie: spouse in another european country then exercised their rights after a certain time to be able to settle in the UK.

Hope that clarifies things...

Thank you Jamie,

what makes me confused is when I went to VFS Czech Republic website, this is what I have seen

Overview

Holders of EEA (i.e. EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Swiss passports do not require a visa. Nationals from EU-countries as well as Switzerland and Liechtenstein may stay in the Czech Republic for an unlimited time. For more information see the website of the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic.

Holders of Full British Passports do not need a visa to travel to the Czech Republic. There are no restrictions on the validity of your passport, providing you leave the Czech Republic before its expiry date.

Family Members of EEA National (Spouse/Dependant/Civil partner of EU/EEA nationals) exercising their right of free movement:

You will NOT need a visa to visit the Czech Republic for a maximum of 90 days, if ALL of the following criteria apply:

You hold either a "Permanent Residence Card" or a "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National" issued by the competent British authorities in accordance with EU Directive 38/2004 (see examples - always check the "Type Of Document" written on the vignette/sticker) and
    the period of stay in the Czech Republic does not exceed 90 days (three months).

The visa free rule applies even if travelling to the Czech Republic without the attendance of an EU citizen. Furthermore, this ONLY applies when travelling directly to the Czech Republic. If you travel to the Czech Republic via another EU member state please double check with that respective state´s Embassy in London whether the visa free regime applies to you also in that country.

For more information see the website of the Embassy of the Czech Republic in London.

If you DO NOT fulfil the above criteria you MUST obtain a visa in order to travel to the Czech Republic.

Each person traveling (including small/young children) must submit a visa application in person and by appointment only.

If you are not sure whether you require a visa, please click Do I need a visa? to find out.

For further information please click on the SHORT TERM VISA link on the homepage.

So I am a spouse of an EU Citizen (British citizen) so I am thinking that this applies to me? Might not be Schengen Visa but just going to Czech Republic only?

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    Thank you Jamie,

what makes me confused is when I went to VFS Czech Republic website, this is what I have seen

Overview

Holders of EEA (i.e. EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Swiss passports do not require a visa. Nationals from EU-countries as well as Switzerland and Liechtenstein may stay in the Czech Republic for an unlimited time. For more information see the website of the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic.

Holders of Full British Passports do not need a visa to travel to the Czech Republic. There are no restrictions on the validity of your passport, providing you leave the Czech Republic before its expiry date.

Family Members of EEA National (Spouse/Dependant/Civil partner of EU/EEA nationals) exercising their right of free movement:

You will NOT need a visa to visit the Czech Republic for a maximum of 90 days, if ALL of the following criteria apply:

You hold either a "Permanent Residence Card" or a "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National" issued by the competent British authorities in accordance with EU Directive 38/2004 (see examples - always check the "Type Of Document" written on the vignette/sticker) and
    the period of stay in the Czech Republic does not exceed 90 days (three months).

The visa free rule applies even if travelling to the Czech Republic without the attendance of an EU citizen. Furthermore, this ONLY applies when travelling directly to the Czech Republic. If you travel to the Czech Republic via another EU member state please double check with that respective state´s Embassy in London whether the visa free regime applies to you also in that country.

For more information see the website of the Embassy of the Czech Republic in London.

If you DO NOT fulfil the above criteria you MUST obtain a visa in order to travel to the Czech Republic.

Each person traveling (including small/young children) must submit a visa application in person and by appointment only.

If you are not sure whether you require a visa, please click Do I need a visa? to find out.

For further information please click on the SHORT TERM VISA link on the homepage.

So I am a spouse of an EU Citizen (British citizen) so I am thinking that this applies to me? Might not be Schengen Visa but just going to Czech Republic only?
    No Jhen the EU Directive 38/2004 does not apply to you as you have been issued a visa under the UK immigration rules and not the rules set out under EEA

Please for your own sake of mind contact VFS and they will confirm this and that you do actually need to obtain a visa because if you travel without one then you will be refused boarding at the airport.

Good Luck...

Thread Information