Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Love

Love

Folks, here is a Bible passage I've been invited to read aloud to the assembled congregation at tomorrow's Church service, and I felt I'd like to share with you beforehand. Now I think most of you know me well enough to realise it's not my intention to try and convert ANY of you to Christianity, but the more I look at the words ... the more I'm convinced there's a powerful message there for each and every one of us, religious and non~religious alike.

... "if I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self~seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil - but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. ... but where there are prophecies ... they will cease; where there are tongues ... they will be stilled; where there is knowledge ... it will pass away. For we know in part, and we prophecy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now, these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is LOVE
    !"

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Wise words Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Wise words Arthur
    Thank you, Michael ... ... they're not mine, of course, but !

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Now I think most of you know me well enough to realise it's not my intention to try and convert ANY of you to Christianity, but the more I look at the words ... the more I'm convinced there's a powerful message there for each and every one of us, religious and non~religious alike.
    And the moral?

Love is an emotion one can feel or experience ... ... without needing to adhere to Christian beliefs. Whereas by contrast, I don't think one can claim to be a [proper] Christian without love.

hopefully makes sense.

Thread Information