Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Member

Return to Malaysia

As a few members know, I was lucky enough to return to the University of Malaya earlier this year, having worked there in the late 1970s ( on " loan " from Glasgow University ). They may be interested in these views :-

Malaysia’s population is now around 30 million, with Greater Kuala Lumpur ( KL ) 7 million. For 20 years, Putrajaya ( 15 miles from KL ) has been the federal administrative capital of the country.

The Petronas Twin Towers, completed in 1998, are 452m high, with 88 storeys, this view being from the Menara KL Telecommunications Tower, itself 421m high, but on a hill :-

Menara Tower KL, constructed 1994 :-

KL skyline in the late 1970s :-

KL in the late 1970s :-

Kuala Lumpur International Airport KLIA ), 28 miles from the city centre, opened in 1998 :-

The previous airport ( " Subang " ) served as KL’s major airport from 1965 - 1998 :-

These proof coins from 1980 show Houses of Parliament ( opened 1963 ) with the 14 point star and crescent ( Federal Star ) ; National Bank ( Bank Negara, opened 1959 ) with its " deer " logo ; the second of Malaysia’s six Prime Ministers, Tun Abdul Razak ; and a profile map of South-East Asia commemorating the 9th South-East Asia Games ( held in Malaysia ) :-

On 31 August 1957, " Merdeka " ( independence ) from Great Britain was declared in Malaya, with Tunku Abdul Rahman as the first Prime Minister. Malaysia came into being in 1963, with the addition of Singapore, Sabah and Sarawak. Singapore declared independence from the Federation of Malaysia in 1965 :-

Very interesting Alan.
    Mick.

Trusted Member
    Thank you, Mick !

A few more views :-

Houses of Parliament ( as depicted on the coins ) seen from KL Tower :-

Petaling Street in Chinatown, from 1950s :-

... and now :-

Batu caves - 8 miles from KL, set in limestone cliffs, with golden 43m statue of Murugan ( Hindu deity ) at entrance, with 272 steps to main cave :-

Main / Temple Cave :-

The country has come far since days of Empire.

Fascinating photos Alan, what a change.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    Excellent. Thanks for posting Alan.

The 50s one I can relate to.

Here's me and younger sis... in Malaya in 1956:

Attachment 9729

Trusted Member
    Thank you Jonnijon, Steve.r and Graham

First time and probably last I will ever call you " cute " Graham I really would be interested if you find the time to post any more of your 1950s photos .

Trusted Member
    I'll do my best Alan... just that my old mum still has the most scenic ones in her photo albums.

The car in the background is our 1955 Austin A30, imported brand new by my dad, courtesy of a Royal Navy scheme.

We rented an 'off-base' house in Johor. You can see the storm drains that ran right around the bungalow.... for use in the monsoon season.

In fact this was the first of three different houses we were to rent in Johor Bahru during the three years (55-58) that we spent there.

I can say that I learned to read and write in Singapore.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for posting Alan.

The 50s one I can relate to.

Here's me and younger sis... in Malaya in 1956:

Attachment 9729
    Reminds me of me at that age, love the A30 Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Thank you, Mick !

A few more views :-

Houses of Parliament ( as depicted on the coins ) seen from KL Tower :-

Petaling Street in Chinatown, from 1950s :-

... and now :-

Batu caves - 8 miles from KL, set in limestone cliffs, with golden 43m statue of Murugan ( Hindu deity ) at entrance, with 272 steps to main cave :-

Main / Temple Cave :-

Wonderful, awesome, amazing, thank you once again Alan

Trusted Member
    There have indeed been many changes in Malaysia and KL since I was last there, although my memory doesn’t have to stretch as far back as Graham’s !

Teaching medical students in 1978 :-

... Revisiting the University this year, where one of my previous junior trainees is now Professor :-

The country has more than doubled in population in the past 40 years. Coupled with that, car ownership and traffic have increased dramatically, despite a good Light Rail Transit, with planned Mass Rail Transit and Singapore-Kuala Lumpur High Speed Rail systems. There are over 350 cars / 1000 population ( 31 Philippines ; 500 UK ). The " new " airport is massive, quite intimidating and a long way from KL centre.

GDP is $ 313bn ( Philippines $ 272 ; UK $ 2,679 bn ). Falling oil prices have adversely affected the Malaysian dollar ( ringgit ). Only 3% of the labour workforce are unemployed ( Philippines and UK around 7 - 8% ).

Nice old photo Alan. What a handsome chap you were....still are

There have indeed been many changes in Malaysia and KL since I was last there, although my memory doesn’t have to stretch as far back as Graham’s !

Teaching medical students in 1978 :-

... Revisiting the University this year, where one of my previous junior trainees is now Professor :-

The country has more than doubled in population in the past 40 years. Coupled with that, car ownership and traffic have increased dramatically, despite a good Light Rail Transit, with planned Mass Rail Transit and Singapore-Kuala Lumpur High Speed Rail systems. There are over 350 cars / 1000 population ( 31 Philippines ; 500 UK ). The " new " airport is massive, quite intimidating and a long way from KL centre.

GDP is $ 313bn ( Philippines $ 272 ; UK $ 2,679 bn ). Falling oil prices have adversely affected the Malaysian dollar ( ringgit ). Only 3% of the labour workforce are unemployed ( Philippines and UK around 7 - 8% ).

Quality photos - ALL of them - Alan ... along with the fascinating insights you've provided into the changes that've occurred in Malaysia over the past four decades.

... let me guess - in the first two of the three you've posted [directly above] the ones featuring your goodself - is the student on the extreme right, the lady who is [now] the Professor pictured with you in the second?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Nice old photo Alan. What a handsome chap you were....still are
    Absolutely! ... on EACH of the three things mentioned.

Trusted Member
    I agree !

(Thanks for the rep too Alan... will try to dig some more ancient pics out ).

Trusted Member
    Thank you Steve.r, Arthur, and Graham

In answer to Arthur's question, Prof Looi was not in the 1978 photo ( these were 4th year medical students ), but she is 4th from the right ( with me third from the left ) here :-

In answer to Arthur's question, Prof Looi was *not in the 1978 photo ( these were 4th year medical students ), but she is 4th from the right ( with me third from the left ) here :-

*possibility had crossed my mind, Alan ... and it's nice of you to post another photo (including the Professor) in order to answer my question. Many thanks.

What an interesting life you have lived over the years Alan, lucky fella and thank you for sharing

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    What an interesting life you have lived over the years Alan, lucky fella and thank you for sharing
    My pleasure Michael, I count my blessings and appreciate all members' responses to my posts .

Malaysia is the world’s second largest producer ( after Indonesia ) of palm oil, employing about 0.5 m people, although the Government is attempting to limit expansion by retaining at least half the country’s land as forest cover, in response to concerns about its environmental impact.

This was the first airport to serve Kuala Lumpur ( 1952 - 1965 ), now developed for use by the Royal Malaysian Air Force :-

The Board of Commisioners of Currency, Malaya, started to issue currency about 75 years ago. When the British regained control of Malaya after World War II, notes were issued in 1945 ( printed in London by Bradbury, Wilkinson ). Face value of this would be around £1000, but worth far more nowadays if genuine ( not a replica as here ! ) :-

Genuine stamps featuring King George VI, dating from 1937 ( also printed in London, by De La Rue ) :-

Trusted Member
    Kuala Lumpur Butterfly Park is situated near the Lake Gardens. It occupies 2 acres and is completely enclosed by netting, allowing the butterflies to fly freely in a simulated natural rainforest environment.

It houses some 6000 butterflies from over 120 species :-

... this one landing on my fingers ...

... these feeding on pineapple ...

... together with a few dragonflies :-

Aquaria KLCC ( Kuala Lumpur City Centre ) is just over 10 years old, containing a 90 metre underwater tunnel, a 2.5 million litre tank by volume of salt water, and the only aquarium in Malaysia allowed to exhibit 200 red-bellied piranhas :-

... Mandarin fish here ...

... shark :-

... lionfish :-

... and Coconut crab ( endangered in Malaysia, and elsewhere, including Philippines where it is supposed to be prohibited to catch, kill, and sell them ) :-

Lovely Alan, thank you to you too!

Cheers Alan

Good photos, thanks.
    Mick.

My pleasure Michael, I count my blessings and appreciate all members' responses to my posts .

Malaysia is the world’s second largest producer ( after Indonesia ) of palm oil, employing about 0.5 m people, although the Government is attempting to limit expansion by retaining at least half the country’s land as forest cover, in response to concerns about its environmental impact.

This was the first airport to serve Kuala Lumpur ( 1952 - 1965 ), now developed for use by the Royal Malaysian Air Force :-

The Board of Commisioners of Currency, Malaya, started to issue currency about 75 years ago. When the British regained control of Malaya after World War II, notes were issued in 1945 ( printed in London by Bradbury, Wilkinson ). Face value of this would be around £1000, but worth far more nowadays if genuine ( not a replica as here ! ) :-

Genuine stamps featuring King George VI, dating from 1937 ( also printed in London, by De La Rue ) :-

Just Checked my stamp collection and have all of those stamps too
    What a coincidence

I have hardly any stamps from Philippines other than those I purchased myself.

Lovely photos Alan. I love butterflies. When I go into the mountains or fishing I always look out for the many different types flying around.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Lovely photos Alan. I love butterflies. When I go into the mountains or fishing I always look out for the many different types flying around.
    Thanks Steve I would have liked to be able to identify them for members. They seem healthy enough, if a little old and ragged ( like the photographer ), although it would have been better to see them in the wild, rather than a city park.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Just Checked my stamp collection and have all of those stamps too
    What a coincidence

I have hardly any stamps from Philippines other than those I purchased myself.

Ian Hislop said on last week’s " Have I got News for You " that " most things excite stamp collectors " .

You may also be familiar with these stamps, commemorating the Coronation of King George VI on 12 May 1937 ( similar sets being widely issued elsewhere, as for Gibraltar ), just before the definitive sets were issued ( 1937 - 1941 ) :-

Independence Day ( Merdeka ) for the Malayan Federation was declared by the first Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman on 31 August 1957. On that day the Federation became an independent member of the British Commonwealth :-

This first day cover commemorates a centenary of stamps in 1967, the first having been issued by the Straits Settlements ( then consisting of Malacca, Penang and Singapore ) in 1867 - thirteen years after the first Philippines stamps !

Wow, it gets better

Nice Pictures Alan, its always nice to see pictures , it brings back found memories for you and hopefully it may make people think they would like to go there too

Trusted Member
    Thanks Michael, Simon, Mick and Stevewool

I'm glad a few members have found my " blog " interesting.

I'm very lucky to have been seconded to Malaysia in the first place - to be able to return earlier this year, renew friendships and see how the country ( especially Kuala Lumpur ) has changed, was truly memorable .

Thanks Doc..
    We went over there for 3 weeks coz a friend of mine lives and got married there....The only worry I had was when my hosts asked me what I would like to drink and my request was denied!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information