Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Had to happen....

Well my time is up, got done for speeding. 129kph in a 100 zone

Where was I, on the SCTEX near Angeles. Now here's the bit I'm annoyed about, there's a LTO office in both Angeles and San Fernando but I have to go to Quezon on Wednesday to get my licence back. Should be about a 1500php fine, but you have to wait round all day so the other option is to pay a 'fixer' about 3000php to save you waiting.

Should be fun driving in Manila for the first time

You should have paid the officer there and then!!
    Do you mean KMH?
    Quezon province or Quezon city??

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    You should have paid the officer there and then!!
    Do you mean KMH?
    Quezon province or Quezon city??
    I tried paying there and then, he wasn't having any of it

No I mean KPH kilometres per hour

Quezon City in Manila

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Always follow the speed limit..Keith only does 40-60kph at most while driving here (80kph if on SLEX). With the way the Filipinos drive, it's better to be on the safe side. We've seen a very bad accident involving an Innova and a 4x4 yesterday on the way to SLEX from Molino, Cavite. Looked like they were speeding coz the 4x4 turned over and the innova was a complete wreck. We even saw the driver of innova stuck in his seat and the medics/police people having a hard time removing him. Lots of blood on the road and on both cars. We've been told everyone in that accident died.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Although I'm not a driver myself, I can understand how easy - and tempting - it must be to break speed limits. Especially when you're
    in a hurry!

Hell ... I remember my daughter telling me she had got stopped by a couple of police patrol officers for 'doing 60'on a 40mph [straight] stretch of road ... a road she'd been accustomed to using twice daily on her way to and from work as a Speech and Language Therapist in Ellon Aberdeenshire. "Bad luck, lass", one of the officers had told her, "my colleague and I were just about to knock~off for the evening". "Fair cop!" Fiona had shrugged ... ... in reply, in an attempt to humour the "boys in blue" - to no avail - while being cautioned.

But seriously, Simon, Rayna's right ... one needs to be extra careful when driving on roads one isn't familiar with abroad.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Although I'm not a driver myself, I can understand how easy - and tempting - it must be to break speed limits. Especially when you're
    in a hurry!

Hell ... I remember my daughter telling me she had got stopped by a couple of police patrol officers for 'doing 60'on a 40mph [straight] stretch of road ... a road she'd been accustomed to using twice daily on her way to and from work as a Speech and Language Therapist in Ellon Aberdeenshire. "Bad luck, lass", one of the officers had told her, "my colleague and I were just about to knock~off for the evening". "Fair cop!" Fiona had shrugged ... ... in reply, in an attempt to humour the "boys in blue" - to no avail - while being cautioned.

But seriously, Simon, Rayna's right ... one needs to be extra careful when driving on roads one isn't familiar with abroad.
    I agree Arthur, especially driving on the opposite side of the road, not good!

It's a road I'm very familiar with, I've probably driven it every other day in the 3+ months I've spent here in the last year.
    I'm quite used to driving left hand drive cars so that doesn't concern me

Anyway, I was wrong, I was caught and now I have to face the consequences

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    It's a road I'm very familiar with, I've probably driven it every other day in the 3+ months I've spent here in the last year.
    I'm quite used to driving left hand drive cars so that doesn't concern me

Anyway, I was wrong, I was caught and now I have to face the consequences
    We just lost a fellow expat here 2 days ago.. He was doing 80 KMH and decided to overtake another bike on the inside lane at about 8.00 at night..Unfortunately straight into a temporarily parked cement truck with no hazard or tail lights on.
    R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    We just lost a fellow expat here 2 days ago.. He was doing 80 KMH and decided to overtake another bike on the inside lane at about 8.00 at night..Unfortunately straight into a temporarily parked cement truck with no hazard or tail lights on.
    R.I.P.
    Sad news indeed.

No matter how confident I am in my own driving abilities, one thing I refuse to do is drive at night here

Respected Member
    Hard luck, we've all got it coming. I drive in the Philippines and don't really have an issue, I'm never in a rush but do 100-110 on the SLEX/Skyway as its safer to go with the flow. I'm sure one day something will happen out there, and of course it will be my fault whatever the situation... I'm most worried about hitting someone without lights coming toward me in my lane - I am extra vigilant for this (same problem driving in the Middle East where you don't see them until they're on your bonnet smiling).

I recently changed my daily drive in the UK for a Merc CLS which is a bit too quiet, and despite 25 or so years of no tickets I got caught twice by unmarked cars in the UK in the past few months. I only got 3 points luckily (and I was very lucky not to get anything other than an awareness course for 90mph along the A5 with an unmarked Passat trying to keep up with me for 15 miles )

Well that was an interesting morning.... Not!!

Drive to Manila at 6am to avoid the traffic and be first in the queue, then find a fixer or just look lost and someone soon approaches you. 2000 fine 2500 for the fixer and 4 hours hanging around for things to be fixed

The one thing that made me smile was the big sign outside the main building stating anti fixer campaign, how the fixer can get up to a 200000 peso fine or 6 years imprisonment or both
    However on the side of the building where you actually pay the fine there was another sign saying 'no fixers allowed inside'

Thread Information