Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: i need help

i need help

hi All
    i found my soulmate in Philippines with suggestion from this site.
    i been there, we apply documents(cenomar,ids) and now fix the wedding date , we were expected that sss(umid) id in 1 month but there is a problem with sss ids supplier and we been advised that she can not get sss id not before than March.
    problem is after we marry her surname will going to change and i am wondering , does she need to change all her documents or is it still acceptable with her previous surname and marriage certificate with new surname to apply passport and visa
    i need urgent information or any good lawyer here in london

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    My wife did not change her surname until several months after she came to live in Spain. Thus, she traveled to Spain (it could equally have been to UK) with a passport in her maiden name. Even then she used my surname and hers as a double barreled surname, so different from mine.

In Spain a woman (no one) can change her name even on marriage and in UK a woman changing her name to her husband's is just a common practice and by no mean a legal requirement.

As for the Marriage Cert, I believe that shows the names of both parties at the time of marriage. So the maiden name of the woman, not a so called 'married name'.

She can keep her name and passport the same (ie maiden name) for as long as she wants as long as it get 'regularised' in good time for her British Citizenship.

To be honest I've no idea why SSS id has any influence on anything. Can you explain?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    She can keep her name and passport the same (ie maiden name) for as long as she wants as long as it get 'regularised' in good time for her British Citizenship.
    Terpe do you know something I don't ?

Surely a marred woman can keep her name forever with no obligation to take her husband's name ?

As I said, my wife has a different surname from me, are you saying if we went to live in UK, she would have to change her name ?

Is the info here now wrong :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/re...ing-your-name/

This is an extract:-

How to change your name

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

There is more information on changing your name by deed poll on gov.uk

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport.:-

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Terpe do you know something I don't ?
    Seems to be so John

But as you are both in Spain with no plan to take up British Citizenship it doesn't impact you.

Anyone not heeding my advice on this will end in tears.

Respected Member
    Seems to be so John

But as you are both in Spain with no plan to take up British Citizenship it doesn't impact you.

Anyone not heeding my advice on this will end in tears.

I changed my name in UK 30 years ago, I did it by Common Law, that is, I just changed it. I then had all my documentation , including passport, D/L, credit cads, etc changed to my new name. By coincidence at that time I was the OIC of Met Police Liaison with UK Passport Office.

I later got divorced in UK in my new name. Using the divorce papers showing that although marred in my birth name I had divorced in my new name.

When I married in Philippines 10 years ago I used my new name, producing birth cert, divorce confirmation, etc.

Four years ago took up my right to Irish Nationality, again using my new name, producing my birth cert of course in my birth name and my mothers birth cert in her maiden name. She was born in Ulster I was born in UK.

I should be grateful if you would quote a law which supports what you say, so that I may research it. I should hate to find that I am registered incorrectly.

Many thanks John

PS I have just looked on the internet there are many UK 'official' sites, including UK Gov. which seem to confirm100% what I have said.

To be honest I've no idea why SSS id has any influence on anything. Can you explain?
    she does not have passport yet. in order to apply passport she needs to get sss id. she has now postal id, police clearance , barangay clearance , but does not have any main ids
    that is why
    thanks for reply

Thread Information