Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar

Reacurring UTI Infection

Can I throw this open to anyone with any knowledge or have had experience or know about this due to personal experience.

My father as some who will know due to my previous post ie: Delirium has had reacurring UTI (water infection) infact averaging every 3 weeks and even though courses of antibiotics are giving and does cure it even for a short while it seems to come back.

As my family are so concerned about another episode of delirium because of this, is it right that I am thinking a low dose preventative or maintenance antibiotic can be given to lessen the the chances of a UTI reacurring.

I have been reading about it and was going to ask his GP to visit him at his nursing home so our concerns can be put forward and hopefully he will agree to this being done.

My father has now got moderate heart failure due to everything he has been through and we fear another episode could kill him.

Any thoughts my dear friends...

Thank you.....

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    So sad to hear the news on your fathers condition Mark, but sincerely hope you find the answers you need and hope there is some improvement in the near future!

Trusted Member
    Sorry to read of your continuing worries about your father, Mark.

I understand you will have searched for information about urinary tract infections - usually " NHS Choices " site is a helpful source / start.

You will know that UTIs are far less common in men than women ( simple anatomy - the urethra / tube leading from the bladder, through which urine passes and " bugs " most commonly enter the urinary tract, is shorter in women ). UTIs may involve urethra, bladder, ureters/tubes leading from kidneys, or kidneys themselves.

In the case of men, especially when elderly, enlargement / inflammation of prostate may well be a cause of UTI.

As you say, UTIs may be treated by a course of antibiotics. However, more long term antibiotic use to prevent recurrences is really something for your father’s doctor to consider, and by all means you should ask him to visit the nursing home.

Best wishes at this worrying time.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Thanks Michael for your concerns it means a lot also thanks Alan also for your valuable input into this.

Regarding the enlarged prostate which I have researched about reacurring UTI I think you have hit the nail on the head Doc as Dad has had every test done under the sun but nothing regarding this.

Your information is invaluable to my self and my family and will certainly voice my concerns to dad's GP to look further into this.

More than a pint of Beer I owe you kind regards, Mark...

Thread Information