Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Lightbulb How safe do I feel living in the Philippines ?

I've been visiting the Philippines for many years. I've lived in squatter areas, high-end subdivisions and plenty in between.

No I haven't always felt at ease.
    But I do now.

We live in what is loosely termed a high-end subdivision.
    It's a security gated village community. Yes, with high walls all around the village and quite a number of stationed security guards. These guards are also 'roving guards'. Means they ride around the whole village 24/7

No jeepney or tricycle is allowed past the barrier controlled and guarded security gate. Taxi's are allowed in but the driver must exchange their licence for a security pass. No Licence, no pass, no entry.

According to a number of independent reports Davao City is supposedly the safest city in the Philippines and the 4th safest in the world. Whether that's justified or not I'm not really bothered. I can only state that I feel safe.

Living in our gated village community doesn't mean our house/lot has any surrounding walls, fences or steel grills at the doors and windows. That doesn't mean to say we will never do that. We already decided to buy a property here and during the renovations we'll incorporate whatever security measures we believe are needed. We've already planned to install double glazed window units all over and if we feel that security walls, camera's or whatever is needed then that's what we'll do.
    It's never out of the question that we would move to another island lock stock and barrel if we believed we needed to. We already have our eye to buying a place outside of Mindanao
    Safety and security is always up there on our retirement living priority list.

Of course this kind of secure village lifestyle we enjoy isn't going to suit everyone and living where we do does cost a bit more. Wherever you decide to live comes down to balancing out the positives and the negatives on a cost benefit basis.

I had people tell me that I'm not able to experience what the real Philippines is all about". That I'm not able to peel back the veneer and see what's underneath.
    I can say this. I've already been there, read the book, seen the film and got the T-Shirt.
    I'm not on holiday, I'm living here in a retirement life. I want the modern lifestyle and village amenities I have now.
    I'm lucky I found peace and contentment in my retirement.

We originally planned to 'go native' and we tried living in our beach house, with a view to a complete 'live-in' refurbishment and maybe turn it into a B&B for foreigners on holiday.

We had a lucky escape early on before splashing out oodles of cash
    We really just don't like living out in a Barangay

I don't want that chaotic street noise, the loud music, videoke, wandering drug pushers/uses, drunks and groups of unemployed youths either making a nuisance or creating a point of uncertain safety. Don't forget in the Philippines it's allowed to own a gun. Many own more than one and many carry them around permit or not.

Most folks who can afford it put high walls and security gates all around their property. If they can afford to move into a secure subdivision they'll do that too. Now there's a good reason for that IMO.

So do I feel safe ?
    Well in all honesty not always.
    When we're in our village I do. Probably a little more than where we lived in the UK strangely

On a day-to-day basis outside our community I don't feel as inconspicious or safe as where I lived in UK but not so much that it really worries me.
    I'm always aware of my surroundings and always avoid any places that I don't believe I could control

Mind you it's always going to make you feel overcautious when family and friends are always telling you to be careful and don't do this or that or don't go wandering around alone.
    Personal observation indicates that there's a degree of mistrust between the haves and the have nots.

I guess I could be criticised for this but I do cycle around alone and I'll walk around the local area and the market alone too.
    I often go to the market alone after dark, but there's still plenty of people around.

That's something I wouldn't usually consider doing back in my UK hometown.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    You sound as content as I was for the 20 years before December 2010. Great stuff hang on to it, don't lose it Peter!

Nice write up, thank you

So when do we move in with you?
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    So when do we move in with you?
    Better make it soon as I'm hatching a plan to buy a smaller place in December and grow it to my own design.
    Building works don't move very fast here so I'm expecting to continue renting for maybe another 12 months. Our current house is just too big for us really.

Thanks for the rep Boss

Enjoyable read.

Thanks for posting.

good reading,

just a point on double glazing if upvc, here in phiippines i have only seen very cheap quality upvc windows, i would say its really for secondry glazing,
    if you go for upvc double glazing do your research and make sure its the good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    good reading,

just a point on double glazing if upvc, here in phiippines i have only seen very cheap quality upvc windows, i would say its really for secondry glazing,
    if you go for upvc double glazing do your research and make sure its the good stuff
    Thanks for the tip Stewart

I haven't done any serious research or looking but I've noticed that the really big properties in our village all have nice looking double glazed units fitted. Always with dark tints too.

Thanks for the rep my friend

Newbie (Restricted Access) Fil/Am Art's Avatar
    Terpe,
    You just described exactly the type of gated community we have lived in for the past 15 yrs here in NCR of Luzon and we plan to stay here for the long term, since we are now both permanent residents, my wife is a dual citizen and I just recently obtained my Expanded SRRVisa for those retired U.S. military members and we can now stay in the Philippines indefinite and never have to do the BB stamp or visa runs out of the country and return. We can now kick back and relax in one place for good until we feel the travel bug again one of these years.
    It's just my wife and I living in our home. We've tried living near family and relatives, but that got old after a year and so we decided to move further away to get some peace and quiet and we did where we live today and we feel safe as can be and besides we are both Filipinos and easily blend in the crowd among other Filipinos.
    We are happy and content of the way our area has developed over the 15 yrs living here to date, we have almost everything we need within a 1/4 mile radius and or of just walking distance.

i dont feel safe, all the beutifull ladies always smiling at me and asking me if im married, safer for me to stay indoors

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    i dont feel safe, all the beutifull ladies always smiling at me and asking me if im married, safer for me to stay indoors
    You've just said it for me too.

As I've said before, this is not a country where you'll stay single for very long. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    You've just said it for me too.

As I've said before, this is not a country where you'll stay single for very long. IMHO
    back in uk id never get a second look

Excellent article Terpe, and members comments, slightly off subject, do you know of a reputable Agency where I could rent a house or condo in Davao ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    Excellent article Terpe, and members comments, slightly off subject, do you know of a reputable Agency where I could rent a house or condo in Davao ?.
    I know a good honest broker. A rarity.
    Davao City covers a huge area, which areas would you be looking at ?

Harry, when do you believe you might arrive and how long would be looking at?

I'm looking at arriving late this month, early December, and it will be for 3 months, Tagum would be my first choice but personally I am not fussed, so long as its convenient for amenities, and not rowdy not easy in Phills I know.

I'm looking at arriving late this month, early December, and it will be for 3 months, Tagum would be my first choice but personally I am not fussed, so long as its convenient for amenities, and not rowdy not easy in Phills I know.
    Davao City is far from being rowdy

Can't help you Tagum city though Harry. That's quite a far place for us here in Davao City.
    We usually stop off there on our way to Compostela Valley.

Forum member jonnijon is in the Tagum City area. He'll know much more than me.
    Do you have friends there Harry ?

Thanks Terpe, no it was that someone I know that suggested to stay in Tagum City, I didn't realise it was a city in its own right.

Thanks Terpe, no it was that someone I know that suggested to stay in Tagum City, I didn't realise it was a city in its own right.
    You'd need to think about how to get there from the airport.
    I don't Davao taxi's will go there. You might think about one of those express air-con vans.
    If you like riding with racing drivers

Taxi will take you from Davao, look at 1,500 pesos +

Maybe I was being Naive, but I never really felt afraid.. Although, during my visits I was only living in hotels and I rented a condo (with security) during my last visit. I'd love to live in a province, but I want to feel safe at the same time. Need to find that "Happy Medium"

If your talking about safety i rather be in Cebu City, I dont feel safe in any place other than Cebu CIty.

Respected Member
    I'm spending August + December in Ozamiz, I visit every year, never felt unsafe just bored at times in the evenings :( Last year was the first time I felt a little unease at times, just feels like since Duterte has been Pres attitudes have changed somewhat or maybe it's just me

Wow,Ozamiz,i used to have a girlfriend who lived there in the early 1990's i havent been back there since,cant remember much about it to be honest but i still remember her.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

If your talking about safety i rather be in Cebu City, I dont feel safe in any place other than Cebu CIty.
    Strange you should say that..Ive never really felt that "safe" when visiting Cebu.. Not sure why..Perhaps it`s just my dislike of the place in general?

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Strange you should say that..Ive never really felt that "safe" when visiting Cebu.. Not sure why..Perhaps it`s just my dislike of the place in general?
    I was about to post something similar.
    Having said that we've been to Cebu plenty of times and there's some really nice places.

When you quite familiar with a place you tend to feel more at ease.
    You often feel the opposite when you're in unfamiliar places.

In general I certainly feel a lot safer than I did in my hometown. Especially after dark and more especially in the evenings between Thursday and Sunday
    I can walk down to the local 'town centre' any time of day or night and I'm not expecting to meet confrontational or challenging situations. Quite different from my UK hometown.

Regardless though, it's wise to be fully aware of your surroundings.

Thread Information